Any news on when the ATX 3.0 PSU's will arrive?

Surly

Limp Gawd
Hasnt been much information beyond the intel spec briefing back in.... March? Definitely hoping that they will be available with the new cpu's and, more importantly, gpus in the 4th quarter...

What’s the big difference? Here I am stacking high quality ex-miner consumer PSUs for cheap for future builds…maybe it’s a mistake!

What’s the big difference? Here I am stacking high quality ex-miner consumer PSUs for cheap for future builds…maybe it’s a mistake!
The short summary is that the spec is much better at handling high power components like 450 to 600 watt gpus and such. Can better tolerate micro bursts of high power draw. Less risk of high draw components flaming out etc.

The short summary is that the spec is much better at handling high power components like 450 to 600 watt gpus and such. Can better tolerate micro bursts of high power draw. Less risk of high draw components flaming out etc.
Im surprised we haven' t seen any hit the market yet.

The only one I know of is the gigabyte 1000w that was reviewed by tpu a bit ago. It wasn't a unit anyone would recommend.

Haven't seen any of that being a problem for current decent quality PSUs.

Sure hope some quality ATX 3.0 PSUs start becoming available soon. First, I delayed my build wanting DDR5 to become available, since it was just on the horizon and I'd already nearly skipped the DDR4 generation entirely.

Then crypto made GPUs nigh impossible to get. And now that that's finally less of an issue, ATX is mere months away and it'd be silly to buy a new PSU that wasn't ATX3.0

Sooo close...

Sea sonic has come coming mid December. I am in the same boat, want a new PSU for 4090 and don’t want to have to buy a ATX 2.0 with adapter cable to power it.

I'm planning on putting together a new build sometime in the next few 6-9 months and these PSU's + the availability of PCIe 5 drives are the main things I'm waiting on to begin. Necessary? Probably not, but it's a scratch build I want to be as clean and forward-thinking as possible. I'm hopeful for a Corsair unit ideally, but it sounds like they're in no hurry based on their recent press release on the Nvidia 40-series cards.

I'm planning on putting together a new build sometime in the next few 6-9 months and these PSU's + the availability of PCIe 5 drives are the main things I'm waiting on to begin. Necessary? Probably not, but it's a scratch build I want to be as clean and forward-thinking as possible. I'm hopeful for a Corsair unit ideally, but it sounds like they're in no hurry based on their recent press release on the Nvidia 40-series cards.
Corsair is releasing their hxi 1500w and 1000w soon but not going atx 3.0 with them for some reason. No clue as to when they may be. There should definitely be something/some news in the next 6 months from them.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/corsair-hxi-series-1500-w/single-page.html#specifications

MSI, Silverstone, Gigabyte, Thermaltake, Asus, Seasonic, FSP, Coolermaster (and likely CWT) have made announcements or have released atx 3.0 units. Surprise, surprise... the Gigabyte 1000w unit isn't atx 3.0 compliant. Keepin up that stellar PSU rep.
There should be a boatload of new units hitting the market soon.

I'm hoping for something in the neighborhood of 1200w. A little headroom, but nothing too zany. Then again, if something that was 1500w or higher only cost a little bit more I'd happily go bigger.

I'm hoping for something in the neighborhood of 1200w. A little headroom, but nothing too zany. Then again, if something that was 1500w or higher only cost a little bit more I'd happily go bigger.
I'm with you but I am looking for far beyond Gold efficiency. Looks like it is pretty mid-range stuff right now.

Seasonic's release hasn't changed, still just saying mid-December. Would like to get something more firm date-wise.

Seasonic's release hasn't changed, still just saying mid-December. Would like to get something more firm date-wise.
Yeah, got my eyes set on the Seasonic Vertex series too. Not entertaining the idea of a new build before it can be purchased because I want easy PSU cable management to a RTX 4090.

I'm looking at a new build , likely Zen4 / AM5 (initially what's available, later 3D if AMD can put out a 7950X3D version) that will use my existing 3090 and perhaps either a 4090 or 7900XTX in the future. I know I'll need another PSU at some point (especially if I keep my old PSU, an EVGA G3 1000w that has served me well on my Haswell-E build, for my server/secondary rebuild that's going to be Zen3 5950X based etc), so I figure I ought to buy something ATX 3.0 looking forward, right? I was keeping an eye open for Seasonic's new Vertex series, Platinum, for something in the the 1000-1500w range but I'm kind of surprised that it hasn't already arrived to go along with the NV 4090 and the Zen 4 / Raptor Lake hardware launches on the high end? I guess I can wait a few weeks but it does make things harder to price out and harder to know if the first units launching are going to be really worthwhile; hopefully someone like JonnyGuru gets to look at a Vertex in advance of the launch.

This is still one of the cornerstones of my build plans. I want an ATX 3 PSU and I at least want to see what PCIE 5 drives being to the table even if I don't buy one. Both have gotten tons of chatter about being "available by the end of 2022" and that's only 6 weeks away.

I'm looking at a new build , likely Zen4 / AM5 (initially what's available, later 3D if AMD can put out a 7950X3D version) that will use my existing 3090 and perhaps either a 4090 or 7900XTX in the future. I know I'll need another PSU at some point (especially if I keep my old PSU, an EVGA G3 1000w that has served me well on my Haswell-E build, for my server/secondary rebuild that's going to be Zen3 5950X based etc), so I figure I ought to buy something ATX 3.0 looking forward, right? I was keeping an eye open for Seasonic's new Vertex series, Platinum, for something in the the 1000-1500w range but I'm kind of surprised that it hasn't already arrived to go along with the NV 4090 and the Zen 4 / Raptor Lake hardware launches on the high end? I guess I can wait a few weeks but it does make things harder to price out and harder to know if the first units launching are going to be really worthwhile; hopefully someone like JonnyGuru gets to look at a Vertex in advance of the launch.
Techpowerup already has one but obviously can't give anything away until the NDA. From the little I've seen, Vertex will be worth the wait.

Got the MSI version of ATX 3.0 PSU installed. Used only Seasonic or Evga PSU for the last several years but the "burning pins" thing had me spooked. MSI was the only one available when ordered. Only the 16-pin to 16-pin cable is sleeved but even with the sleeving it is so much more flexible than using the adapter and multiple PCIE cables. Will keep an eye on the Vertex and switch out if necessary. Actually the adapter and multiple PCIE cables seemed to be working fine. Just wanted simpler wiring.

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1...-1000-watt-80-plus-gold-gamers-psu/index.html

Techpowerup already has one but obviously can't give anything away until the NDA. From the little I've seen, Vertex will be worth the wait.
Thanks, good to know, maybe we'll see something soon. Its kind of hard to find high end hardware testing these days that is as in-depth as it used to be in the old days....or at least maybe that's just my perception; perhaps its just a signal-to-noise ratio thing. There are a handful of video reviewers that seem to do all right, but the kind of stuff that JonnyGuru or [H] used to do, especially for stuff like PSUs. TechPowerUp has been around quite a bit though so it will be interesting to see what they say.

Thanks, good to know, maybe we'll see something soon. Its kind of hard to find high end hardware testing these days that is as in-depth as it used to be in the old days....or at least maybe that's just my perception; perhaps its just a signal-to-noise ratio thing. There are a handful of video reviewers that seem to do all right, but the kind of stuff that JonnyGuru or [H] used to do, especially for stuff like PSUs. TechPowerUp has been around quite a bit though so it will be interesting to see what they say.
I think Gamers Nexus is working on some new power supply testing equipment or something. Hey, what do you know, Johnny Guru himself on Gamers Nexus:

ASUS just announced some: https://wccftech.com/asus-unveils-rog-strix-aura-edition-atx-3-0-psus-for-next-gen-gaming-pcs/

There's no release date, though. Hopefully they're coming sooner than all of the PCIe 5.0 drives that were announced 9 months ago and still have no ETA.
Nice to see that, curious that they're not also adding the THOR 2 series Platinums (notably one was part of their Asus X Evangelion collab, which I can appreciate. When doing anime collaborations that are likely to be niche and potentially expensive, I don't mind if they offer mid level hardware but offering top end stuff should be a must. Asus seems better than most in this regard, like they had 3090 and 3080 EVA and Gundam versions etc. ) but maybe that will evolve in time? Also I had no idea that JonnyGuru worked for Corsair now; I knew that his site was down but its nice that the Corsair team saw the value of his kind of in depth reviews. Guess I just missed that he was over there, but hey guess that's a good reason why Corsair remains one of my top PSU brands going on decades now, depending on model of course.

Lot of issues with new standards in the PSU/power delivery area.
Is there? I know there's been lots of discussion about everything in the wake of the more power demanding CPUs and GPUs of the recent generation notably the 4090, but I see a lot of very situational or passing-the-buck sort of stuff - is there evidence that there are problems with the new standard ATX 3.0? Or problems with newer hardware on anything BUT ATX 3.0? Or does it come down to lots of variables such as the particular components, if 3rd party adapters are used (ie 4090 issues many seem to suggest come down to Nvidia's adapter as opposed to a ATX 3.0 included cable, or even an adapter that is supplied by a PSU manufacturer), or some other element?

Is there? I know there's been lots of discussion about everything in the wake of the more power demanding CPUs and GPUs of the recent generation notably the 4090, but I see a lot of very situational or passing-the-buck sort of stuff - is there evidence that there are problems with the new standard ATX 3.0? Or problems with newer hardware on anything BUT ATX 3.0? Or does it come down to lots of variables such as the particular components, if 3rd party adapters are used (ie 4090 issues many seem to suggest come down to Nvidia's adapter as opposed to a ATX 3.0 included cable, or even an adapter that is supplied by a PSU manufacturer), or some other element?
Yeah, there is. That said, there was a lot of problems with ATX2.x as well and the initial PCIe as well. These things have been very poorly coordinated with people trying to be modern and support legacy. Making bad design decision for new implementation based on how things USED to work, etc. I have unfortunately been dealing with a second sick parent, shattered a wrist and broke the other, had the flu, and am serving in a training component for the war in Ukraine otherwise I would have had way more reviews up than I have had. I have lots of tested units that I need to write up but have been physically unable to. I am hoping to get two interesting ones up before I head back to Europe in December that show some of the issues.

Yeah, there is. That said, there was a lot of problems with ATX2.x as well and the initial PCIe as well. These things have been very poorly coordinated with people trying to be modern and support legacy. Making bad design decision for new implementation based on how things USED to work, etc. I have unfortunately been dealing with a second sick parent, shattered a wrist and broke the other, had the flu, and am serving in a training component for the war in Ukraine otherwise I would have had way more reviews up than I have had. I have lots of tested units that I need to write up but have been physically unable to. I am hoping to get two interesting ones up before I head back to Europe in December that show some of the issues.
Interesting…. But would you say that it is a bad idea to grab a top brand like the Seasonic Vertex line as soon as they are available? Because that is what I’m planning to do.

Those ASUS PSUs are available to buy now. I'm still going to wait for Corsair to take the plunge (even if that takes some time), but at least there are some more ATX 3.0 items on sale now.

Had my MSI A1000G PCIE5 for about a month now with no issues, i'm obviously not doing the testing at the level they are but doesn't seem like too bad of a unit.

I too am interested in Spectre's take on this, especially as it appears that the Seasonic Vertex line have been delayed into January 2023! While concerns for early-adopter issues and knowledge that just latest standard compatibility will not necessarily mean a high-tier unit, I find it hard to justify buying one that is potentially outdated especially a high end model. After a somewhat long plateau of around a decade, the power demands of the current both CPU and GPU generations has increased significantly and looking at what is on the horizon that's not likely to change, so higher quality modern PSUs are important. As I recall, for GPUs like the 4090/4080 and 7900XTX / XT the suggested minimum wattage is 800-850w, not to mention the CPU and mobo demands for power; a pretty considerable min threshold where a couple of generations ago 850w would give you some leeway on even a high end system provided it didn't have multiple GPUs or otherwise end up particularly niche. I've usually purchased 1000w PSUs of Gold or Platinum rating, but this time around I'm figuring that 1200-1300w Platinum is probably required to add similar leeway for a long running system. In addition to Seasonic's new Vertex I am wondering if they will revamp the Prime series, but I'm also curious to see what Corsair and EVGA offer, while remaining open to other brands high end offerings if worthwhile.

Oh, I found recently that the SFX12V 4.0 (aka ATX 3.0 similar and PCI-E 5.0 compatible) PSUs are apparently coming onto the scene, starting with this Silverstone 850w platinum model that looks pretty good at least on paper - https://www.techpowerup.com/302468/...atx-3-0-comparable-psu-with-12vhpwr-connector - which seems pretty beefy for SFX. I'm sure there will be a wide variety of ATX 3.0 PSUs releasing over the next yet, hopefully without major issues or growing pains that could become costly, with enthusiast-leaning high tier items

Back