Any news on GeForce GTX 780?

piratepress

[H]ard|Gawd
I haven't really seen any updates on Nvidia's next GPU for the past couple of months and wondered what the latest news was? I held off on getting a 600-series GPU so I'm really chomping at the bit to get a GTX 770.

Subscribed. I'm in the same boat as the OP. Got a GTX 480, skipped GTX 680.

Y'all just can't wait huh? I have nothing of value to add, but I just wanted to say that this makes me chuckle a bit since it smells like excitement. Lol.

No news from the NVIDIA press conference at CES. Their page shows that their booth has new Geforce GTX gpu's. No idea whether they are the current 6 series or new 7 series.

After I clicked on your link, I felt very embarrassed and stupid.

same tech as 600 series but with more shaders and wider memory bus.

there you go, maybe out in summer.

same tech as 600 series but with more shaders and wider memory bus.

there you go, maybe out in summer.

So with the same architecture, would I be better off upgrading to a 600 series now and maybe again for 800 series, instead of waiting ½ year for 700 series? Alternatively waiting for 600 series price drop when 700 is out.

Depends on what you have now (you haven't said).

Also according to the best source I could quickly find (at VR-Zone), doesn't appear as though the next generation "Maxwell" architechture is coming out until 2014.

According to the headline of the article, "No NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 before March 2013...". Its a faster Kepler. Only 3 months away, might be worth it to wait. Will pay the "first adopter/top of the line" premium however. But it will drive down the cost of the current top line 680/690s. Not certain lower line 600 series will see as great price reductions (if any); hasn't normally been the case. But the 600/700 series for sure will go down come 2014 when Maxwell comes out.

So I'd wait till March for the 780/7xx. Then again, hard to say how much of an upgrade to the current 6xxxs it will be...heh. Or if the 600 series is a significant upgrade to what you currently have (again, don't know what that is), go for it now and have fun for 3 extra months. 650s cost less than $125 right now.; 650 TIs less than $150.

Depends on what you have now (you haven't said).

Also according to the best source I could quickly find (at VR-Zone), doesn't appear as though the next generation "Maxwell" architechture is coming out until 2014.

According to the headline of the article, "No NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 before March 2013...". Its a faster Kepler. Only 3 months away, might be worth it to wait. Will pay the "first adopter/top of the line" premium however. But it will drive down the cost of the current top line 680/690s. Not certain lower line 600 series will see as great price reductions (if any); hasn't normally been the case. But the 600/700 series for sure will go down come 2014 when Maxwell comes out.

So I'd wait till March for the 780/7xx. Then again, hard to say how much of an upgrade to the current 6xxxs it will be...heh. Or if the 600 series is a significant upgrade to what you currently have (again, don't know what that is), go for it now and have fun for 3 extra months. 650s cost less than $125 right now.; 650 TIs less than $150.

It doesn't matter what I have, only that I need an upgrade. Current is HD6950 2GB. I've been considering the gtx670, maybe two if I end up getting a 120Hz monitor (maybe for BF4). One option is to buy one now and maybe a 2nd if I need and prices have dropped.
I wouldn't bet that there will be anything out in March, more like Q3. If someone could assure me release is in March I'd wait.

Wait, so no GTX 685/695? That's a first.

GTX 280 - GTX 285.
GTX 480 - GTX 580.
GTX 680 - N/A

What about GK110? Think that will come out in a consumer version for the 700 series? A quick Googling shows that Nvidia released a couple of GK110 based cards in the Telsa range (and at 3k a pop). Wasn't that supposed to be their monster chip?

What about GK110? Think that will come out in a consumer version for the 700 series? A quick Googling shows that Nvidia released a couple of GK110 based cards in the Telsa range (and at 3k a pop). Wasn't that supposed to be their monster chip?

Woah, 2668 SPs! 6GB vRAM!

Damn, that's almost twice as powerful.

How can they be such assholes as to release Tesla only?

Because they are selling tons of Tesla cards, plus the 600 series is doing quite well, so no need for a faster part.

Once southern islands is out, nvidia will retaliate, if not slightly earlier.

Because they are selling tons of Tesla cards, plus the 600 series is doing quite well, so no need for a faster part.

Once southern islands is out, nvidia will retaliate, if not slightly earlier.

Well, it's been a year already and GTX 680 has not decreased in price.

Isn't the HD 8000 series called "Sea Islands"?

Also, it looks like the HD 8970 has the same exact specs as the HD 7970 - 2048 SPs. Is that correct?

Well, it's been a year already and GTX 680 has not decreased in price.

Isn't the HD 8000 series called "Sea Islands"?

Also, it looks like the HD 8970 has the same exact specs as the HD 7970 - 2048 SPs. Is that correct?

Hasn't decreased in price? Reference cards launched at $500. I bought 2 MSI GTX 680s in November for $380 each.

Hasn't decreased in price? Reference cards launched at $500. I bought 2 MSI GTX 680s in November for $380 each.

That's honestly shocking to me. I've not seen a GTX 680 for under 450$ shipped. Maybe you just got lucky?

Also, I think I'll wait until they're 250-300$ each, that way I can buy two.

i got a gtx 670 OCed card for less than $300 after selling the bundled games but they have been under $300 (not the same card) before. Prices have really come down and there are great deals out there.

I say if you have a 4 series ugrading to 6 is not bad (because when 7 comes out they will be price), but if I had a 5 series I would def be waiting for 7 series.

Didn't by any chance happen to be around Black Friday was it? :confused:

Because that was certainly a pretty damn good deal that I've never seen. Talk about lucky.

i got a gtx 670 OCed card for less than $300 after selling the bundled games but they have been under $300 (not the same card) before. Prices have really come down and there are great deals out there.

I say if you have a 4 series ugrading to 6 is not bad (because when 7 comes out they will be price), but if I had a 5 series I would def be waiting for 7 series.

GTX 670 for 300$ is nice, but GTX 680 for 300$ is what I'm looking for.

Upgrading from GTX 480 SLi to GTX 670 SLi is not as great as I would like.

The only reason I want to upgrade anyway is because of the power consumption.. although now in the winter, I don't seem to mind the heat as much :p

GTX 670 for 300$ is nice, but GTX 680 for 300$ is what I'm looking for.

Upgrading from GTX 480 SLi to GTX 670 SLi is not as great as I would like.

The only reason I want to upgrade anyway is because of the power consumption.. although now in the winter, I don't seem to mind the heat as much :p

I went from 480 SLI to one 680, the performance was awesome and my experience was a lot more enjoyable.
Until you've owned a 600 series card, you wouldn't see the value.

OK PEOPLE LETS GET BACK ON SUBJECT.

But yeah, the HD8000 series of cards are the oem rebrand models that will eventually make it to the public at large. They are the exact same as HD7k series, but with SLIGHTLY higher clocks.. I really, really hope that AMD is not deciding on releasing that to the public.

Just means that the next gen of AMD cards will be the HD 9k series (i think).

Either way, I really don't know what Nvidia is planning. At first they said they had the GK110 chip that they were bragging about.. then AMD came out with their 7970 and Nvidia basically said.. we are not impressed and threw at us the 680 (which was supposed to be the mid range chip. Because the GK110 would have absolutely crushed the 7970, they found no reason to release something like that and decided to refine and make it better in time).

Now, are they going to release the 780 as their gk110 chip? Probably.. but it will be as part of a refresh. So the 770 will be only 15% better than 670, 780 will be 15% better than 680 - and then release the GK110 as 785 to save 790 for the dual monster.

At least.. that's what I think will happen.

That's honestly shocking to me. I've not seen a GTX 680 for under 450$ shipped. Maybe you just got lucky?

Also, I think I'll wait until they're 250-300$ each, that way I can buy two.

Wow, back in late Nov early Dec I saw refernce GTX 680s going for $419. I wonder why the price is going UP? Are people buying?

I think you're right about the HD 8000 series being like the GTX 300 series.

Looks like we'll wait for the HD9K series and GTX 780.

I'm pretty sure they are selling every GK110 chip they can produce in the Tesla line as they are really the only game in town for that type of product, and when you can get $3000 instead of at best $699 for a consumer product, it doesn't make any sense to sell them off to the consumer market. Especially since AMD doesn't have anything that's really any better than a GTX680 (arguably, but the cards are very very close).

I'm pretty sure they are selling every GK110 chip they can produce in the Tesla line as they are really the only game in town for that type of product, and when you can get $3000 instead of at best $699 for a consumer product, it doesn't make any sense to sell them off to the consumer market. Especially since AMD doesn't have anything that's really any better than a GTX680 (arguably, but the cards are very very close).

Well, no, the Tesla/Quadro market has always been more expensive because of the software, not the hardware. Essentially, you're paying 2,301$ for the drivers.

But yes, it must be a huge pay-day for them. Screwing over your customers always is.

i could SLI my 670s but i want to see whats good with the 8970 and the 780 first.

will be a few months im sure htough

Well, no, the Tesla/Quadro market has always been more expensive because of the software, not the hardware. Essentially, you're paying 2,301$ for the drivers.

But yes, it must be a huge pay-day for them. Screwing over your customers always is.

Screwing over what customers exactly?

Sell the GK110 to people who won't use it for more than virtually killing pixels on the interwebs for $699, or sell the GK110 to businesses and enterprises that will use the card optimize their own products and become more profitable for $3,000?

Doesn't sound like they are screwing anyone over. As much as people want to proclaim that this card was SUPPOSED to be the 680, there is absolutely nothing that backs this claim - and even if that was the case, I'm glad they didn't. Can you imagine if they put the gtx 680 at $230 at launch (as the 660) and have it compete with AMD's 7970 at $500? That would have destroyed AMD and by now we would have a monopoly - something NOBODY wants.

so.. meh.

Screwing over what customers exactly?

Sell the GK110 to people who won't use it for more than virtually killing pixels on the interwebs for $699, or sell the GK110 to businesses and enterprises that will use the card optimize their own products and become more profitable for $3,000?

Doesn't sound like they are screwing anyone over. As much as people want to proclaim that this card was SUPPOSED to be the 680, there is absolutely nothing that backs this claim - and even if that was the case, I'm glad they didn't. Can you imagine if they put the gtx 680 at $230 at launch (as the 660) and have it compete with AMD's 7970 at $500? That would have destroyed AMD and by now we would have a monopoly - something NOBODY wants.

so.. meh.

Your contentions are slightly ignorant.

This trend is continuing in the opposite direction of progress.

Remember the 8800 GTX days? Did nVidia have a super-GPU on back-end they weren't using? No. Did they price them at 3,000$ so that no one can buy them? Hell no.

I don't know what you mean by "killing pixels online", but if your product won't sell at 700$, it certainly won't sell at 3,000$. That's flawed logic.

The problem is, nVidia are price fixing. What's next, consumer GPUs costing 3,000$? Consumer GPUs not even existing? I mean, why sell at 700$ when you can sell at 3,000$? If this continues, we're all screwed.

If it's a new architecture, isn't nvidia on an 18-24 month release cycle for new architectures? If you're in a big hurry to upgrade, maybe you'll get a shrink/minor update before that. :p

If it's a new architecture, isn't nvidia on an 18-24 month release cycle for new architectures? If you're in a big hurry to upgrade, maybe you'll get a shrink/minor update before that. :p

It varies from 6 months to 24 months. I'd say a healthy 12-16 months is ideal.

I don't know what you mean by "killing pixels online", but if your product won't sell at 700$, it certainly won't sell at 3,000$. That's flawed logic.

The problem is, nVidia are price fixing. What's next, consumer GPUs costing 3,000$? Consumer GPUs not even existing? I mean, why sell at 700$ when you can sell at 3,000$? If this continues, we're all screwed.

The thing is.. These ARE SELLING at $3,000. Of course, not to you or me, and you won't see these on Amazon or Craigslist, but they sell these.. ALOT of these to businesses and corporations that can put them to good use. Consumer GPU's will never sell at 3k because they won't sell at that price. Companies put prices of cards the highest they will sell. It all has to do with Demand - that is what Nvidia follows. If there is no demand, they will not do it.

The thing is.. These ARE SELLING at $3,000. Of course, not to you or me, and you won't see these on Amazon or Craigslist, but they sell these.. ALOT of these to businesses and corporations that can put them to good use. Consumer GPU's will never sell at 3k because they won't sell at that price. Companies put prices of cards the highest they will sell. It all has to do with Demand - that is what Nvidia follows. If there is no demand, they will not do it.

Then why didn't they price the GTX 480 at 3,000$ or the GTX 580 at 3,000$, or the GTX 680 at 3,000$? I don't like this trend. Why can't we the consumers get these cards?

Your contentions are slightly ignorant.

This trend is continuing in the opposite direction of progress.

Remember the 8800 GTX days? Did nVidia have a super-GPU on back-end they weren't using? No. Did they price them at 3,000$ so that no one can buy them? Hell no.

Do you have any idea what price fixing actually means? NVIDIA can price it's cards however they want. Price fixing would mean they are colluding with AMD to fix prices on GPUs across the market. The exact opposite of this is happening.

You can argue that NVIDIA is "screwing over their customers" by charging $3000 for a Tesla board, but obviously the card at that price is competitively priced compared to what the competition is offering, or they wouldn't sell them at that price. Considering there is very little competition in the OpenCL/CUDA GPGPU space, it's not surprising they are charging that much.

Furthermore, you have no idea what their margins are, or how much they spent on R&D to develop the Tesla products or what their yields on the GK110 are, so your claims are at best spurious speculation.

Then why didn't they price the GTX 480 at 3,000$ or the GTX 580 at 3,000$, or the GTX 680 at 3,000$? I don't like this trend. Why can't we the consumers get these cards?
Because they can get more money by selling them to GPGPU clients. NVIDIA isn't a charity, you aren't entitled to any specific products from them. If you don't like it, go buy their competitors products.

Back