Any news on further price cuts?

sparky1_2007

2[H]4U
Just wondering since im looking at pulling the trigger on a R9 290 within the next month or so.

Im waiting on the custom cooling solutions from other manufacturers since there's the issue with the stock cooler on the R9 290's. I could deal with it, but im not ordering a card right away.

anyways, is there any news of further price cuts coming down the pipeline for the GTX 780 seeing how it stacks up vs the vanilla 290?

i understand that the 780 uses less power, is quieter, has higher OC potential, but stock for stock, the R9 290 is equal or better than the 780.

anyways, i'd love to get a GTX 780 if i could get it for $450 or so considering thats probably what the 290's will probably be priced at with the custom coolers on it.

Honestly the 290 is the best card to buy atm. It stacks up with the 290x, 780, titan and is only really beat by the 700$ 780 ti.. You figure my two 290s have a GPU score of high 23000s on FS P and thats ~= to the 780s and titans. Some 290x are up there also but the 290s are on air. Once on water those scores will go even further. Just my two cents though

Honestly the 290 is the best card to buy atm. It stacks up with the 290x, 780, titan and is only really beat by the 700$ 780 ti.. You figure my two 290s have a GPU score of high 23000s on FS P and thats ~= to the 780s and titans. Some 290x are up there also but the 290s are on air. Once on water those scores will go even further. Just my two cents though

yep, exactly why im highly considering a R9 290 over a GTX 780 though.

i've been wanting to go to the green camp for a while now just to see what its like, ive been using only ATI cards since the x800xl days, then 4870 1gb, then xfire 5770's, now im on a HD 6950 2gb.

the appeal of the GTX 780 is that I only game on 1080p at the moment, so i know it will meet/exceed my graphics requirements and give me rock solid FPS and potentially more if i ever decide to go to 120hz gaming.

if the price is right i'd be willing to take a 5-10% performance hit in games to get an Nvidia card, but where my budget is (between $350 and $450) the R9 290 is the obvious choice.

the 780 is on par with the 290, its just more expensive. The thing the 780 has going for it is that it has better drivers atm.

Well, the Holiday Bundle is ending in a week, so Nvidia might replace it with a price cut. I doubt it though... probably another bundle.

the 780 is on par with the 290, its just more expensive. The thing the 780 has going for it is that it has better drivers atm.

better drivers?

in all my years of using ATI cards I have yet to have an issue with drivers.

only exception to that rule is right now with BF4, but that game is having a lot of issues with all cards.

also, i dont think marginally better drivers is worth a $150 price premium if thats the only thing differentiating it from the R9 290.

i definately think that the 780 should be priced higher than the 290 due to the better stock cooling options since the better solutions for the 290 when they do come out will raise its price point $30-50 more than likely.

There is no issue with BF 4 as I play it every day on my 290 .. it's more the OS your using..

Another recommendation for the 290. The performance to price ratio is fantastic.

When you overclock the GTX 780 it passes the Titan by around 15% fairly easily....and it comes with 3 free games. I don't see the 290 being a better value really with that being the case. Value wise with the game bundle and other value-adds of the 780, they're roughly equal despite the price. You can sell the 3 games if you want as well.

So let's review. The GTX 780 is far quieter, has more OC headroom, has better features and software, and value wise comes with 3 free games and overclocks to be 15% better than Titan. You can also buy aftermarket OC 780s now whereas aftermarket 290s aren't here and wont' be here for several weeks. I dunno. I see the value being about the same with all of this in consideration - once you sell the 3 free games you're looking at 40$ more for a better card IMO. Unless you happen to be a BF4 player and can snag a free copy of BF4, then the argument may shift to the 290 being better, as you long as you can accept the compromises of the 290. Most 290s do not seem to have BF4 included, though. I think only XFX cards have them now? I could be wrong, I haven't checked in a few days.

When you overclock the GTX 780 it passes the Titan by around 15% fairly easily....and it comes with 3 free games. I don't see the 290 being a better value really with that being the case. Value wise with the game bundle and other value-adds of the 780, they're roughly equal despite the price. You can sell the 3 games if you want as well.

So let's review. The GTX 780 is far quieter, has more OC headroom, has better features and software, and value wise comes with 3 free games and overclocks to be 15% better than Titan. You can also buy aftermarket OC 780s now whereas aftermarket 290s aren't here and wont' be here for several weeks. I dunno. I see the value being about the same with all of this in consideration - once you sell the 3 free games you're looking at 40$ more for a better card IMO. Unless you happen to be a BF4 player and can snag a free copy of BF4, then the argument may shift to the 290 being better, as you long as you can accept the compromises of the 290. Most 290s do not seem to have BF4 included, though. I think only XFX cards have them now? I could be wrong, I haven't checked in a few days.

yeah, in my OP i mentioned that i am more than likely going to be waiting for the custom cooling solutions.

and if i got the game bundle i'd more than likely keep it rather than selling. too much of a hassle.

you can OC a R9 290 as well, just with the current cooling solution, not a whole lot.

im sure that the never settle bundle will come to the R9 series cards soon enough i would think.

Back