Any news on BattleField 4 ?

I'm in the same boat. I bought BF3 limited edition (came with Strike at Karkand) because they hadn't yet announced Premium. I think at that time the DLC wasn't a pre-order bonus, but rather an included perk to buying the limited edition. It's been awhile though so I could be wrong.

I'm not sure when China Rising comes out but chances are Premium will have been on sale before it does. I don't think they've announced the release for the China Rising yet. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

December is what I've read. Which is on par with BF3.

What are the PC requirements for this game?

Recommended

Processor: AMD Six-Core CPU or Intel Quad-Core CPU
Memory: 8 GB
Graphics Card: AND Radeon 7870 or NvIDIA GeForce GT 660
Graphics Memory: 3 GB
Hard Drive: 30 GB

Minimum

OS: Windows Vita SP2 32-Bit (with KB971512 platform update)
Processor: AMD Athlon X2 2.8 GHz or Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz
Memory: 4 GB
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon 3870 or NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
Graphics Memory: 512 MB
Hard Drive: 30 GB

As long as I can max stuff out @ 1080, minus a little AA and no vsync, I'll be happy.

I should be good.

16gb mem
7950 overclocked to a 7970

...so is there actually anything new in Battlefield 4 to substantiate the hype? Or just new gunz and 'Murica?

...so is there actually anything new in Battlefield 4 to substantiate the hype? Or just new gunz and 'Murica?

LEVOLUTION LOLOLOL

Yeah, I have no idea. Not buying this on release after the disappointment that was BF3.

I guess there's a Commander mode again...*shrug*

It's mostly an evolution of BF3 from what I've gathered, besides the basic new content like maps/guns/vehicles.

Some of the new additions do seem pretty cool though. There's a lot more customization to the weapons (including a ton of skins,) there's an awesome real time weather system that changes while you play, and this time around there are full scale sea battles with sea conditions that change with the weather.

BF3 was superb and I have like 300 hours played in it, so I'm very excited to have more of the same plus a little extra.

Wish it was different in someway, even though i hated bf3 at least it changed from bad company 2. Now we are stuck with bf3 style gameplay and feel forever... if battlefront ends up being in anyway similar to bf3 i'm going to be pissed.

LEVOLUTION LOLOLOL

Yeah, I have no idea. Not buying this on release after the disappointment that was BF3.

I guess there's a Commander mode again...*shrug*

In the same boat here.I felt like a jackass a week after bf3 was released[preordered bf3].The commander mode doesn't seem to be anywhere near what it was in bf2.

The commander mode doesn't seem to be anywhere near what it was in bf2.

Meaning what exactly? People were screaming bloody murder about commander mode in BF2 being abused to high heaven. This younger console demographic filling up present day BF3 and soon BF4 would squirt tears morning, noon and night if they had to deal with the commander mode that existed in BF2.

Last edited:
Huh? In BF2 all you could really do is drop some supplies, scan and artillery. With BF4 you get a lot more.

The commander could also do vehicle drops. Not sure what you think constitutes a lot, the only notable differences that I have read is the ability to call in an AC-130 (giant floating duck in the sky) and assign high value targets (a cheap asstastic way to punish good players).

Geez entitled much? You can't always have a bazillion features in a game. BF4 has new weapons, maps, gameplay tweaks, commander mode, and destructible environments, upgrade to 5 man squads. I think it's all awesome considering how shortly this came out after BF3. It's my most anticipated game of this year. To me, BF4 fixed pretty much all that was wrong with BF3.

Not to mention they have a GUI that isn't crap like in BF3.

Last edited:
Geez entitled much?

P9tOdrr.png

So questioning the accuracy of your comments makes one entitled now huh? Only in the BF4 thread. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Huh? In BF2 all you could really do is drop some supplies, scan and artillery. With BF4 you get a lot more.

You could direct your squad leaders and assign them priorities.If you had played on a server where the commander was actually doing his job you wouldn't say that.And the comrose in BF3 is a useless POS.

You could direct your squad leaders and assign them priorities.If you had played on a server where the commander was actually doing his job you wouldn't say that.And the comrose in BF3 is a useless POS.

The biggest difference between BF2 and BF4 commander is BF2 commanders double as an on-the-ground player just like everyone else, which meant they were often just running around playing CoD instead of actually commanding. BF4 removes that distraction and their entire job is the commanding role.

The biggest difference between BF2 and BF4 commander is BF2 commanders double as an on-the-ground player just like everyone else, which meant they were often just running around playing CoD instead of actually commanding. BF4 removes that distraction and their entire job is the commanding role.

on the opposite side, you know how many times other players on your team would start bitching up a storm because you were actually doing your command job and not running around?

I like commanding in BF2/2142 but people would get bent out of shape because you either spotting too much, not giving them their box even though they aren't even doing anything important, or just flat out wouldn't give two shits about you asking them to defend/attack.

Flag goes gray, and your entire squad is near it, you tell them to attack, and they say piss off and go circle jerk somewhere..

For the most part, it was always a thankless job, but fun. Maybe I'll have to start looking into BF4 now if they are adding it back in but yea, after how shitty I feel BF3 was, I will probably stay away or at least way a while.

I'd better be able to drop artillery or jeeps on lazy snipers in the hills. That is all I'm asking for. :)

I'd better be able to drop artillery or jeeps on lazy snipers in the hills. That is all I'm asking for. :)

Oh I remember those cries of injustifce with humvees raining from the sky, especially those hacks that made like 1000 rain down. The present day CoD kids and crossovers that have discovered BF3/BF4 would have total meltdowns if that were possible in BF4.

Personally, I like commander mode from the old BF2. I really only play on one server (tacticalgamer) and during the old days commander mode was fully supported by a mature player base. I can imagine that if you play on a kiddie server, you might get kiddie commanders and some of them will be crappy at the job.

More important for me is in-game VOIP. I'm tired of messing with TeamSpeak just to be able to talk to the some of the folks who are in game. I want full blown in-game VOIP with squad leader to squad comms, SL to commander comms and even SL to SL comms.

Without these (at least the intrasquad and SL to commander comms) fully integrated and functional, I won't come back. If they do this right, I'll be forking over my money and my time.

The commander could also do vehicle drops. Not sure what you think constitutes a lot, the only notable differences that I have read is the ability to call in an AC-130 (giant floating duck in the sky) and assign high value targets (a cheap asstastic way to punish good players).

I assume this would not be some AI-controlled gunship that just hovers in and tears up anything in range...I would hope not, in any case, since it's a multiplayer game that already has players controlling vehicles.

What does the HVT ability do? Put a pillar of light on the soldier so everyone can focus fire?

Only if first they take out the idiotic sun flare and blinding of tac lights. It's fucking stupid, not at all realistic, and just annoying. Lamers use tac lights to blind people in day light. They've reduced it, but not nearly enough.

GMG, 25% off coupon that includes BF4 and the BF4 Premium Service. Coupon expires Sep 27th.

EDIT: The coupon is right on GMG''s frontpage, but for the lazy TAREM-NBAR4-GDF84

EDIT2: Looks like coupon is now dead...RIP

Last edited:
Only if first they take out the idiotic sun flare and blinding of tac lights. It's fucking stupid, not at all realistic, and just annoying. Lamers use tac lights to blind people in day light. They've reduced it, but not nearly enough.

The reduction in tactical light intensity was a joke; the tac light is still literally brighter than the in game sun, which is already so bright that it negatively affects the game.

DICE hasn't shown enough variety or material to judge if the sun is still going supernova in BF4.

anybody got an idea on how bf4 is gonna run? the alpha benchmarks are terrible.. hope those arent good optimized benchmarks because nobody will be able to play with full settings :(

anybody got an idea on how bf4 is gonna run? the alpha benchmarks are terrible.. hope those arent good optimized benchmarks because nobody will be able to play with full settings :(

How would anyone know at this point - the game has only been playable at tightly controlled press events. NVIDIA & AMD are under NDA so obviously they can't and wouldn't publish numbers, and any driver optimizations since the alpha won't release until day of beta and then again on game's retail release.

Beta next week & all will be revealed.

How would anyone know at this point - the game has only been playable at tightly controlled press events.

Beta next week All will be revealed.

good question, how would anybody know? hence the purpose of the question.

But how well do AMD/Nvidia drivers work with Mantle?

i would expect amd drivers to work perfectly with mantle because its amd designed api.

the real question tho is Nvidia, Mantle is open so nvidia can use it if they make the cards for it but does that mean nvidia will have to redesign the gpu's from the ground up for mantle putting nvidia a couple generations behind amd because chances are nvidia already has the next 2 cards in its cycle one being close to release next year and another in deep design, will they have to scrap that next design or majorly rework it for mantle ect.

or can they get by with drivers for it with current gpu's or their future gpu's ect.

i honestly dont think we will see 6 series or 7 series from nvidia being compatible with mantle.

i bet if anything if its a driver thing they can do the 8 series will support it as a way to milk people to buy the newer cards instead of offering support for the older ones.

GMG, 25% off coupon that includes BF4 and the BF4 Premium Service. Coupon expires Sep 27th.

EDIT: The coupon is right on GMG''s frontpage, but for the lazy TAREM-NBAR4-GDF84

EDIT2: Looks like coupon is now dead...RIP

It's not dead, it's just a code that only works for specific users. GMG specifically targeted individual accounts with this code. Several people on SD got an e-mail, several more are getting the code to work even though they got no e-mail. Most people the code doesn't work for.

Can't hurt for people to try, just don't get your hopes up.

But how well do AMD/Nvidia drivers work with Mantle?

Mantle is not about drivers as much as its about hardware, Nvidia needs to support this with hardware.

ex
http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=35535893&postcount=1050
Mantle isn't like CUDA.
CUDA is a language that means you need to rewrite all your program to work with it.
An API like mantle means that you need to allow your backend to interface with it and that part doesn't require substantial resources.

Loads of people talking about the past but one needs to understand several things changed - you don't have a ton of hardware makes on the videocards market any longer, engine licensing is common and natural while back then it basically didn't exist (this means only the engine owners have to spend resources to offering different backends), developers that develop for multi platform already write different backends - one for DX for PC, one for xbox, one for PSx.

Thanks for the heads up, just saw it on the front page and read up on it more. At first I thought it was an EA/Dice creation, not AMD. As an AMD owner I have to say I'm super excited about this, looking forward to see what it can do (although, hopefully works on 6xxx series?).

Thanks for the heads up, just saw it on the front page and read up on it more. At first I thought it was an EA/Dice creation, not AMD. As an AMD owner I have to say I'm super excited about this, looking forward to see what it can do (although, hopefully works on 6xxx series?).

Anand speculates that Mantle is basically just the Xbox One's low level API. If so, that's a huge deal; anything developed for the Xbox One is more or less developed for Mantle by default.

I really hope they have ADS (aim down scope) and iron sight sensitivity in BF4. God it annoys me how many games don't include this.

Back