Any new sub 72mm heatsink/fans that cool as well as high profile ones?

Currently I have a Scythe SCBSK-2100 120mm Sleeve BIG Shuriken 2 Rev. B CPU Cooler is there anyway to mount extra fans on the side ? lol

you can get 60mm low profile fans. but id put better fans on it and seal the sides to maximize its performance.

you can get 60mm low profile fans. but id put better fans on it and seal the sides to maximize its performance.

Example of fans ? Also how would I go about sealing the sides to maximize its performance please? Thanks.

guess I should have google the hsf... thought it was a tower cooler. theres not much you can do with that thing. adding another fan under it would probably do next to nothing since its so thin. if you added another fan at the front edge to blow hot air away from the socket area it might help a bit. and I would have just used duct tape to seal the edges. ive done it on rads and got a could degrees cooler since the air cant splash back.

edit: oh and look on newegg for 60/70mm case fans, theres several of each that are low profile.

Last edited:
If you have 72mm of height to work with, why not try a noctua NH-L12S?

If I remember correctly, replacing the fan on a Big Shuriken 2 Rev.B hardly does anything at all.

I used to use the Prolimatech Samuel 17 which is 70mm with a standard 120x25mm fan back in the day when I was using Silverstone ML07 cases. If you use a 15mm fan, that would take you down to 60mm height. I don't think there's any cooler that outperforms the Samuel and the full size fan option is a winner IMHO.

If you have 72mm of height to work with, why not try a noctua NH-L12S?

If I remember correctly, replacing the fan on a Big Shuriken 2 Rev.B hardly does anything at all.

Will the noctua NH-L12S really be a improvement ?

I just re-read this thread and I completely misunderstood what you wanted. please disregard...

Good thing I got my super secret forum that gives me 30 replies within 5 to 15 minutes!

Just wondering.
What case do you have and what is case airflow setup?
I've found reversing the fan on pancake coolers so it pulls air away from motherboard usually lowers temps a lot. Even on open bench testing with a 140mm fan pushing air over top of motherboard gave 7-8c lower CPU temps with fan pulling air away from motherboard. Reason is fan pushing down is catching the heated air that comes out of cooler, hits motherboard and turns out, then hits RAM, GPU, etc. and turns up along side of cooler and cooler fan and is then pulled back into fan. With fan pulling air from cooler there is a lot more cool air going through cooler. ;)

Back