Any new OLED monitors coming out next year (2021)?

dvsman

2[H]4U
For next year, I'm thinking of upgrading the monitor on my main rig to an OLED. I love my few years old LG E7 65" in my living room, so figured I'd look into bumping up my gaming setup, especially given that the new panels can run 120hz over HDMI 2.1. Ideally, I'd like something in the 40" or so range. I've looked at the LG 48CX but its just a little too big. If it was 43 or smaller, it would be perfect.

For reference I'm currently running the following across multiple rigs -
- Dell 3011 on my office setup,
- Dell 34" 3415 on my home bedroom computer,
- and a Dell 34" 3418DW + MP49 49" ultrawide dual setup on my main sig rig.

Not as far as I know. I don't think we will see any new panels from LG at least for a few years. Samsung is trying to get in the OLED game but probably is not going to have anything out next year.

Not as far as I know. I don't think we will see any new panels from LG at least for a few years. Samsung is trying to get in the OLED game but probably is not going to have anything out next year.
LG has been releasing a new OLED every year since at least 2016 (when I started paying attention).

Given the current HDMI 2.1 issues with 2020 CX OLED firmware/chipset waiting for 2021 models is a viable plan (and as bonus both AMD and NVIDIA HDMI 2.1 offerings should be widely available by then)

I just swapped out my 2080ti for a 3090 - which I think does have 2.1 already so I'm hoping that will keep me off of the upgrade train for a while and work with whatever monitor I end up going with roo.

LG has been releasing a new OLED every year since at least 2016 (when I started paying attention).

Given the current HDMI 2.1 issues with 2020 CX OLED firmware/chipset waiting for 2021 models is a viable plan (and as bonus both AMD and NVIDIA HDMI 2.1 offerings should be widely available by then)
Should have written "no new panel sizes". Of course they will have the yearly iteration they have done for so long. It will look marginally better, maybe support something new but generally be the same deal as this year's model. In absence of anything truly new, maybe they will support 144-240 Hz in some way.

Pretty unlikely, anything new will be announced at CES but won’t be out for a year anyway

I think it's too risky for them releasing an OLED PC monitor since burn-in is still an issue, nor is that profitable because they can still milk LCD.

IMO It would be smarter for them to continue making smaller TVs which are as close to a PC monitor as possible while technically still being TVs (kind of what they did with CX48).

I think it's too risky for them releasing an OLED PC monitor since burn-in is still an issue, nor is that profitable because they can still milk LCD.

IMO It would be smarter for them to continue making smaller TVs which are as close to a PC monitor as possible while technically still being TVs (kind of what they did with CX48).
The problem with that is that the smaller TVs are often not big sellers, which is why you see very few of them these days when you can buy a 50+ inch TV for not that much money.

The CX48 is mostly popular because it's an OLED with low input lag, G-Sync and 4K 120 Hz. I don't think many would be lining up to buy it if it was a LG nanocell or Samsung QLED as the desktop monitor market offers more practical alternatives to those already.

I would love for LG to either shrink their OLED TV down to about 38-43" size or offer a 48-50" 8K version. 8K plus integer scaling would mean perfectly scaled 1440p and 4K so gaming would not be an issue and you would have a very sharp desktop experience.

Pretty unlikely, anything new will be announced at CES but won’t be out for a year anyway
That is one of the reasons I was asking. Given the COVID, I was pretty sure all the trade shows were cancelled and I don't follow the monitor-news close enough to know if anything slipped by on the DL.

Ultrawide is nice for gaming but I'm getting over it for general use / productivity and want to go back to something more traditional. I still have an off-brand Korean 40" 4k from ebay but the 60hz ... don't want to go back to that.

They’re just going to do it virtual. Other than that I don’t think much will change. The whole industry is based around CES announcement timing.

Though it’s becoming more and more pointless as the products are often coming on or after the following years

I expect there will be more announcements of things similar to the asus pg32uqx. Maybe we’ll even be able to buy one. I could be tempted on that I reckon. If the Apple XDR had high variable refresh I’d have probably managed to justify it to myself.

I do know what you mean about size, I love my 38” ultrawide but still want more vertical. Had a friend with one of the 40” screens but couldn’t get on with it, anything bigger is worse for me. Pretty sure my sweet spot is a 43” 2.35:1 but that’s not a thing yet ☹️

That's the point I was trying to make: keep making 50+ panels, while shinking down CX48 even further.
Which again leads to the fact that smaller TVs are not big sellers. Meanwhile they don't want to spin it off as a desktop monitor because that means burn-in replacements because someone decided to look at Excels all week long.

But the reality is that the LG CX48 seems to be a by-product of their large TV production, being able to employ leftover parts of the OLED sheets. This is part of why they are also more expensive than the 55" models.

In theory they could make a 37.5" 4K screen by cutting their 8K sheets into four panels but I guess those are so expensive to make in the first place that the market would not bear it considering the 8K models are $20-30K. The number of people willing to buy ~$5000 4K screens would be pretty small.

I assume that we will have to wait until LG can adopt the cheaper inkjet printing process or JOLED manages to bring something to the market before we see more OLED options in smaller sizes. This will most likely take several years.

JOLED was supposed to release their esports OLED's this year. I guess covid-19 watered that plan.

JOLED was supposed to release their esports OLED's this year. I guess covid-19 watered that plan.
Let’s be honest for a minute: COVID or not, that was never going to happen. :cry:

Last edited:
Let’s be honest for a minute: COVID or not, that was never going to happen. :cry:

Last I heard they were also supposed to cost like $3000 and only be 24" 1080p 60hz without VRR or something stupid.

Which again leads to the fact that smaller TVs are not big sellers. Meanwhile they don't want to spin it off as a desktop monitor because that means burn-in replacements because someone decided to look at Excels all week long.

But the reality is that the LG CX48 seems to be a by-product of their large TV production, being able to employ leftover parts of the OLED sheets. This is part of why they are also more expensive than the 55" models.

In theory they could make a 37.5" 4K screen by cutting their 8K sheets into four panels but I guess those are so expensive to make in the first place that the market would not bear it considering the 8K models are $20-30K. The number of people willing to buy ~$5000 4K screens would be pretty small.

I assume that we will have to wait until LG can adopt the cheaper inkjet printing process or JOLED manages to bring something to the market before we see more OLED options in smaller sizes. This will most likely take several years.
8K OLED panels are expensive because of the smaller OLED pixels (more difficult) but also probably because 8K yields are low. However, if they intended to produce 37.5" 4K screens from the start then yields would probably improve and costs would be lower. This is because if there's 1 defect in the 75" area, then you can still keep 3 out of 4 of the 37.5" panels.

Now if we can only convince them to go this route...

Here is an interesting article from flatpanelshd

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1606389864

The most interesting quote:
"(Samsung's) Visual Display division, which is also responsible for monitors and notebooks has agreed to sell QDOLED high end monitors in the 33” to 35” range, almost as a way of expressing some corporate loyalty..."

33-35” QD-OLED sounds pretty nice! It might not be for 2021, but I’m glad to see that we’re finally breaching the 32” barrier.

So far none of the big manufacturers want to do OLED for computer monitors and there are probably good reasons. I imagine it may partially be building them at that size (smaller pixels can sometimes be a bigger issue than larger ones) but probably mostly lifetime. Desktop use is pretty much worse-case scenario for OLED burn in. You are talking about things that are static for long periods of time, solid color, and repeat day after day. That could well cause burn-in even on an OLED that has no issues with heavy TV/gaming use.

It's not like LG doesn't love OLEDs, they are all in on OLED panels in the TV space and sell them to lots of other companies to make their own TVs. They have a reason for not brining them to desktops and I'm sure it is a better one than just "LOL fuck you nerds."

That's actually why I decided to go and get a new monitor that is an IPS ultrawide. No, it isn't everything I'd like in a display and I'm sure there will be something better in 3-5 years... However I might as well get something that is a step up from what I had and enjoy it in the meantime. Who knows when desktop OLEDs will not only be out, but be good. It wouldn't surprise me if the first generation of them have some gotchas and are too expensive to boot.

So far none of the big manufacturers want to do OLED for computer monitors and there are probably good reasons. I imagine it may partially be building them at that size (smaller pixels can sometimes be a bigger issue than larger ones) but probably mostly lifetime. Desktop use is pretty much worse-case scenario for OLED burn in. You are talking about things that are static for long periods of time, solid color, and repeat day after day. That could well cause burn-in even on an OLED that has no issues with heavy TV/gaming use.

It's not like LG doesn't love OLEDs, they are all in on OLED panels in the TV space and sell them to lots of other companies to make their own TVs. They have a reason for not brining them to desktops and I'm sure it is a better one than just "LOL fuck you nerds."

That's actually why I decided to go and get a new monitor that is an IPS ultrawide. No, it isn't everything I'd like in a display and I'm sure there will be something better in 3-5 years... However I might as well get something that is a step up from what I had and enjoy it in the meantime. Who knows when desktop OLEDs will not only be out, but be good. It wouldn't surprise me if the first generation of them have some gotchas and are too expensive to boot.
This was asked in the /r/monitors Reddit AMA from some monitor manufacturers and the answer was basically cost. Of course these were brands making monitors using LG, Samsung, AUO etc panels rather than the companies making the panels themselves but despite people having interest in OLED monitors, they would be expensive to make and thus sell to a far more niche audience.

LG is already selling all the panels they make so expect little movement there until they can shift their factories to inkjet printing which will reduce costs and possibly make new form factors viable.

I already jumped on the OLED train with the expectation my CX is disposable and might need to be replaced within 3-4 years. Hopefully by that time there is something better out or even just an LCD that is so good that I won't care. Those 40" 5120x2160 ultrawides are the only thing that interests me from future panel developments.

The thing that sparked my interest is that with HDMI 2.1 (which can do 120hz anyway / no PC specific hardware) there is less reason to build a specific "monitor" vs just building small TVs with HDMI 2.1 and maybe a game mode - which would benefit the new gen of consoles too - its no longer PC master race specific only.

There is no losing in making small TVs now. Both PC users and console as well as regular folks with constrained space could buy it.

Last I heard they were also supposed to cost like $3000 and only be 24" 1080p 60hz without VRR or something stupid.
Personally, I’d be fine with 24” and I’m sure some potential customers would actually prefer that since it’s meant to be an esports monitor. But 1080p, 60Hz, and no VRR?! That doesn’t make sense at the price point, especially since it’s meant to be an esports monitor!

Is JOLED aware of what competitive and pro players care about? They’d never touch a monitor like this.
The thing that sparked my interest is that with HDMI 2.1 (which can do 120hz anyway / no PC specific hardware) there is less reason to build a specific "monitor" vs just building small TVs with HDMI 2.1 and maybe a game mode - which would benefit the new gen of consoles too - its no longer PC master race specific only.

There is no losing in making small TVs now. Both PC users and console as well as regular folks with constrained space could buy it.
Isn’t it possible that Microsoft and Sony see the problem that people don’t have enough choice when it comes to 4K, 120Hz displays? That’s what their consoles are marketed for, right? Doesn’t it all turn to mud if there’s nothing to actually run those games on?

Couldn’t they then put pressure on manufacturers to deliver more 4K, 120Hz displays, even if the emphasis is mostly on TVs?

There certainly seems to be a lot of people asking about monitors they can use for both PC and PS5. I would expect that having both DP and HDMI 2.1 on future desktop monitors would be a good selling point. I expect a lot of LCDs with HDMI 2.1 coming out next year with barely any other relevant changes. Display industry doing the same crap they have done for years.

Personally, I’d be fine with 24” and I’m sure some potential customers would actually prefer that since it’s meant to be an esports monitor. But 1080p, 60Hz, and no VRR?! That doesn’t make sense at the price point, especially since it’s meant to be an esports monitor!

Is JOLED aware of what competitive and pro players care about? They’d never touch a monitor like this.

Isn’t it possible that Microsoft and Sony see the problem that people don’t have enough choice when it comes to 4K, 120Hz displays? That’s what their consoles are marketed for, right? Doesn’t it all turn to mud if there’s nothing to actually run those games on?

Couldn’t they then put pressure on manufacturers to deliver more 4K, 120Hz displays, even if the emphasis is mostly on TVs?
If you look at the panels from JOLED here: https://www.oled-info.com/here-are-joleds-new-oled-display-prototypes you can see that desktop and gaming monitors are not their first or even second priority when there are more lucrative industries to sell to. The e-sports monitor is likely a byproduct of panels aimed at other sectors. Even the 27" 4K seems to be aimed at home automation rather than desktop and that usually means it can run at low refresh rate, does not need to have great color reproduction or uniformity etc because nobody using it for the intended purpose is going to mind.

Sony seems completely out of touch when they couldn't even figure out that selling a Sony 4K TV with good HDMI 2.1 capabilities in the year their PS5 launches would be a good idea. To add insult to injury their own OLED TVs do not have HDMI 2.1 despite using the same LG panels as LG OLEDs.

Meanwhile console manufacturers don't have much riding on this as most people will use HDMI 2.0 TVs at 4K 60 Hz just fine since there are only few games capable of running at 120 fps as is. The fact that these even support things like VRR are most likely a direct result of enthusiast engineers pushing for including those features. PS5 doesn't even support 1440p at the moment and only got working VRR in this week's firmware update.

We are right now in the transition phase for HDMI 2.1 with lots of issues on every device using it, most hopefully fixed by next year.

There certainly seems to be a lot of people asking about monitors they can use for both PC and PS5. I would expect that having both DP and HDMI 2.1 on future desktop monitors would be a good selling point. I expect a lot of LCDs with HDMI 2.1 coming out next year with barely any other relevant changes. Display industry doing the same crap they have done for years.

If you look at the panels from JOLED here: https://www.oled-info.com/here-are-joleds-new-oled-display-prototypes you can see that desktop and gaming monitors are not their first or even second priority when there are more lucrative industries to sell to. The e-sports monitor is likely a byproduct of panels aimed at other sectors. Even the 27" 4K seems to be aimed at home automation rather than desktop and that usually means it can run at low refresh rate, does not need to have great color reproduction or uniformity etc because nobody using it for the intended purpose is going to mind.

Sony seems completely out of touch when they couldn't even figure out that selling a Sony 4K TV with good HDMI 2.1 capabilities in the year their PS5 launches would be a good idea. To add insult to injury their own OLED TVs do not have HDMI 2.1 despite using the same LG panels as LG OLEDs.

Meanwhile console manufacturers don't have much riding on this as most people will use HDMI 2.0 TVs at 4K 60 Hz just fine since there are only few games capable of running at 120 fps as is. The fact that these even support things like VRR are most likely a direct result of enthusiast engineers pushing for including those features. PS5 doesn't even support 1440p at the moment and only got working VRR in this week's firmware update.

We are right now in the transition phase for HDMI 2.1 with lots of issues on every device using it, most hopefully fixed by next year.
I wonder if this is more of an issue with the SoCs rather than the panel makers. Electronics companies like Samsung and Sony still rely on places like MediaTek for chips that can properly process HDMI 2.1 and all its features, and the gen1 SoCs probably have some quirks in them. My guess is monitor makers are also waiting for similar SoCs to come out that can handle both HDMI 2.1 and DisplayPort 1.4 (maybe with DSC).

I wonder if this is more of an issue with the SoCs rather than the panel makers. Electronics companies like Samsung and Sony still rely on places like MediaTek for chips that can properly process HDMI 2.1 and all its features, and the gen1 SoCs probably have some quirks in them. My guess is monitor makers are also waiting for similar SoCs to come out that can handle both HDMI 2.1 and DisplayPort 1.4 (maybe with DSC).
It could be part of the reason. Panasonic HDMI 2.1 chips are in a lot of devices from consoles to AV receivers.

Except there is. There isn't much demand for "upscale" small TVs; you aren't going to purchase a 27" OLED if you are getting that form factor. And frankly, the display market doesn't sell enough to justify the cost of OLED panel construction at that size.

Back