Any new ISP coming out?

ASIA911

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm just wondering if there are any new IPS panels coming out around 23 to 24" or should I just get the Nec ea231wmi?

Just bought the Samsung P2770H and not really happy with the horrendous color shifting with just a slight head movement. Recently bought a Spyder3Xpress and calibrated my 3 yrs old Benq FP241Wz and it still look fantastic.

I'm wondering if the Nec ea231wmi is totally worth the upgrade because I've heard rave reviews about it. But I've also heard rave reviews about P2770H and look how that turn out.

Would the Nec ea231wmi be a big upgrade over the newly calibrated Benq FP241Wz?

Last edited:
I'm going the route of an HP ZR24W .... Seems to be a very good IPS panel for only $400 and at that price it cant be beat.

LG themselves have released a new line of IPS screen, likely an evolutionary improvement of the panel type used by various models from Dell, HP, NEC and Viewsonic. I'm guessing it will eventually filter to these partners and be sold in North America.

They are listed with improvements of having 6ms response time and being LED backlit, no reviews as far as I know though.

I'd stick with the Benq.. larger, and still a good monitor.

I know but I think it's time to switch over to IPS. I"m just trying to spend my money wisely this time around. I have wasted so much money over the yrs over these monitors that I could've bought an expensive IPS version.

I'm going the route of an HP ZR24W .... Seems to be a very good IPS panel for only $400 and at that price it cant be beat.

I'm totally not a big fan of HP product but I'll check it out. But it's over $100 more expensive than the Nec ea231wmi so I'm not sure it's worth it for 1 extra inch.

LG themselves have released a new line of IPS screen, likely an evolutionary improvement of the panel type used by various models from Dell, HP, NEC and Viewsonic. I'm guessing it will eventually filter to these partners and be sold in North America.

They are listed with improvements of having 6ms response time and being LED backlit, no reviews as far as I know though.

Do you know what model(s) is being release?

Last edited:
I'd like to mention LED is not an improvement.
Should be about the same as the other eIPS. We shall see with reviews.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1283940705
I am relieved to see they didn't throw in glossy display as well, or I would have raged.

LED is an improvement in the technological sense, but from a real use perspective the improvements are arguable in many cases. It is however unlikely the other panel characteristics are completely unchanged in the redesign. For instance perhaps response time has marginal improvements as Dells overdrive version of LGs current panel is listed at 8ms vs. 6ms for the new panel. It is speculative however until reviews come out.

That look a bit interesting. Wonder how that would rack up against BenQ VW2420H/EW2420. But man what's with these non-adjustable stands?

LG themselves don't seem to really sell there IPS panels in North America, there usual partners likely will add the more functional stands.

I'm totally not a big fan of HP product but I'll check it out. But it's over $100 more expensive than the Nec ea231wmi so I'm not sure it's worth it for 1 extra inch.

Some things to mention though, while the zr24w is better in some areas (not just size/resolution, it is also more responsive and I believe viewing angles), it is worse in others as well despite the higher price. It has worse black levels and contrast compared the ea231wmi. It also has reported scaling issues if you plan on connecting a non-PC source for instance.

If nothing else, the 27% smaller energy consumption and thinner panel are improvements. Hopefully it introduces no uniformity, bleed or other issues.

The 27% energy consumption savings are questionable (my current monitor uses 24w once calibrated using my brother in laws kill a watt, that's a CCFL backlit Dell U2211H). So far I haven't seen an LED do 27% less on power consumption. Even if it did the difference is around 7w which would translate to saving pennies a month, around $2~ a year that's using the monitor 8 hours a day, 365 days a year....
Thinner panels=edge lit LED's=fail in uniformity/backlight bleeding/tinting/gamut advantages are lost.
LED backlighting doesn't solve panel uniformity, it doesn't solve backlight bleeding or any issues present in CCFL's.

Back