Any more Fury X2 news?

Seriously who are they expecting to buy this card vs Pascal?

people with a serious itch to upgrade i guess.

with current games, a ~$200 card does 1080p very well and a ~$600 card does not do 4k very well. you can do 1080p cheaply and easily these days.

so for 4k, you use 2x ~$600 GPUs in SLI/CFX or on a single PCB? no thanks. you dont get 2x the performance of one GPU, you have to rely on driver profiles (and in 2015, AMD went something like 4+ months without a driver update), there's a much greater chance of bugs/microstutter/frametime variance, FPS deltas tend to be much greater, etc.

might as well just wait for pascal if youre looking for a big upgrade. you'll get HBM2 + who knows what else.

i just want a single card that can do 4k with a little AA thrown on top. enough power to do 4k + ~2xMSAA + SMAA + moderate TSAA. man, even 8k aint enough to remove jaggies on its own :(

Now that Oculus has their pre-orders up, any news on the Fury X2?

At this rate, by the time Oculus gets released in May we will almost be at Polaris release. Which has working low tier silicon already.

Just thinking out loud..... If all the next gen top shelf GPU's will come with HBM2. Would it really be pragmatic to release the Fury X2's so late in the game. Would the fab's even still be tooled to produce HBM if HBM2 is now the standard. (Previously it was all GDDR5, so no real retooling needed)

Well once a production line is setup is relatively easy to reorder based on it. Fabs get all sort of orders, a good portion being for older tech and nodes to be sure. For example supply contracts for 10+ years for parts for commercial, industrial, and military clients.

I'm just wondering what AMD is preparing at this point with the X2 especially since developers already have had it for months now.

Looks like AMD was indeed waiting for VR to release the X2. Looks like the HTC Vive was demonstrated with the X2 at the VRLA event this weekend.

http://www.eteknix.com/amd-showcases-r9-fury-x2-during-vrla/#

It will be interesting to see, multi-card setups seem to be a better suited for VR versus ordinary desktop setups.

Only if they kick DX11 to the curb. Which hopefully VR will drive a few more nails into the coffin. DX11 is old and inefficient. It's currently the biggest bottleneck in PC gaming. IMHO. :)

Reactions: Yakk
like this
Awesome! I have $1400 I Wanna blow on something to replace my extremely slow and outdated 295x2

haha what a bargain.....I paid $1.800 for 2 Fury X's..............and 295x2 slow? I think sarcasm

It's not "out." It will be available to purchase in "early" Q2 2016 according to the press release.

haha what a bargain.....I paid $1.800 for 2 Fury X's..............and 295x2 slow? I think sarcasm
In what currency? A Fury X can be had for $629.99 USD right now. And going by AMD's own numbers, Fury X Crossfire is 10-12% faster at 4K and 20% faster at 1080p for $140 less. But if you want or need a single card solution with only one radiator to mount, the Pro Duo would be the way to go.

Back