Any mining that a can do on a laptop(VERY NEW TO MINING)

th3n3wguy

n00b
So you know how when bitcoin was first a thing people would mine it on their laptops. I'm just a guy with a force gtx hoping to be faithful to a coin. I'm a student and probably mentally handicapped on this thread so bare my blatant retardedness

I have been out of mining for a while but i believe your best bet is to look into new altcoins to mine as they launch. This way you can generate a handful of coins before the difficulty spikes and your hardware is too slow to be of any use.

Then you sit on the coins and hope one day they take off.

Mining any established coin on a laptop is probably not realistic.

I have no idea if altcoins are still coming out constantly but there used to be a section at bitcointalk for them.

Waste of time. I have a mining rig with 9 GPUs (3, 2080 and 6, 1070) and I gross about $3 a day. I net basically nothing except heat after electricity cost.

Guess how much you’d make with a laptop and a mobile card? I wager it’d make pennies per day. It would not cover the cost of the electricity you use.

Mining a new alt coin in the hopes it takes off is akin to playing the lottery. Sure somebody wins, but it ain’t likely to be you.

Even in minings recent hayday (late 2017, early 2018 a laptop wasn’t worth mining on and profits then were multiples of what they are now (a 1070 would make $8 a day during the hayday, now it makes about ~$.40 a day - of which electricity costs ~$.35 ).

I say that as someone with experience who has had as many as 60GPUs mining in the last almost three years.

The mining ship on GPUs and especially mid-tier and below has long ago sailed.

I only keep my rig running right now because its basically making free heat. Come spring, if things don't change, I'm selling it all.

Last edited:
I have been out of mining for a while but i believe your best bet is to look into new altcoins to mine as they launch. This way you can generate a handful of coins before the difficulty spikes and your hardware is too slow to be of any use.

Then you sit on the coins and hope one day they take off.

Mining any established coin on a laptop is probably not realistic.

I have no idea if altcoins are still coming out constantly but there used to be a section at bitcointalk for them.
thanks

Waste of time. I have a mining rig with 9 GPUs (3, 2080 and 6, 1070) and I make about $3 a day.

Guess how much you’d make with a laptop and a mobile card? Pennies per day. It would not cover the cost of the electricity you use.

Mining a new alt coin in the hopes it takes off is akin to playing the lottery. Sure somebody wins, but it ain’t likely to be you.

Even in minings recent hayday (late 2017, early 2018 a laptop wasn’t worth mining on and profits then were multiples of what they are now (a 1070 would make $8 a day during the hayday, now it makes about ~$.40 a day - of which electricity costs ~$.35 ).

I say that as someone with experience who has had as many as 60GPUs mining in the last almost three years.

I only keep my rig running right now because its basically making free heat. Come spring, if things don't change, I'm selling it all.
thanks

Waste of time. I have a mining rig with 9 GPUs (3, 2080 and 6, 1070) and I gross about $3 a day. I net basically nothing except heat after electricity cost.

Guess how much you’d make with a laptop and a mobile card? I wager it’d make pennies per day. It would not cover the cost of the electricity you use.

Making $2.10/day with just two CPU's, Monero with RandomX with about 300w of power. Free heat so in the end not really an additional electricity cost. 3900x at 100% cpu usage (amazing processor) and you would not know it doing regular tasks such as browsing, Office 365 tasks. to game I configure RandomX to use 10 cores 20 threads lower priority, leaving 2 cores 4 threads (fastest cores) for the game. The other system HTPC is a 1700x. I also have a 2700 system I will be mining with which should bring income to about 2.75/day with about 400w of power.

The Bitmain Z11 ASIC mining Pirate is making gross about $6/day. No GPU mining at this time but may use as heaters to offset electrical cost. As being in Florida, heating requirements only last for a very short period of time.

Last edited:
Unless you're using it to heat something, it's probably not worth the cost to mine anything anymore. Take the $30 you would have spent in electricity and just buy coins on Coinbase if you're interested in crypto.

At this point, I use a two rigs I have around to heat the different rooms in my house with RandomX and video cards turned down to maybe 100W (like I said, mostly for heat). Without the recent RandomX though, there would be virtually no profit.

I take a different approach than noko with RandomX, I drop xmrig to a lower CPU priority in Task Manager. When I'm using my computer it isn't obtrusive, and when I'm not, it runs faster. Granted, I'm only using a 3600, but brings in about $0.70 a day. Also, the cache limitation on most Intel chips makes this just about useless for them. AMD is good because of the generous cache sizes. So I can't imagine that a notebook CPU is going to net you much of anything.

Obviously ROI prospects are very limited, but I get essentially free heat in the winter.

Last edited:
You don't want to mine anything on a laptop. If anything, you could build a crappy desktop, with some powerful AMD CPU, and mine Monero (RandomX), since AMD CPUs pwn noobs on this algo, apparently, compared to Intel. Otherwise, at this point in time, it's simply gonna be a loss to build a mining rig to mine. And don't even think of building an AMD rig - AMD cards, due to various market manipulations, and due to the course of the best coins that AMD cards can mine, are mining at a big loss, regardless of the model. GPU mining has been pooped big time.

If you had large hard drives not being put to use elsewhere, you could mine BURST coin. Biblepay is CPU only but you won't make profit on that as you mine and it would be more for holding long term than profit on the go.

It is not the most efficient use of your CPU, but arikado has a browser based distributed computing that let's your earn GRC:

GRC (cryptocurrency, 32 satoshi) https://microgrid.arikado.ru/ -- It is very small amount but I verified receipt of GRC into my wallet

DCP (erc20 token) https://portal.distributed.computer/ - this was formerly SPARC DCC but they made a browser based DCP as well.

the last one is:

JSE (erc20 token) https://platform.jsecoin.com/ - they have a desktop based program you can run to mine with. and you could set up a publisher web site and leave your browser on there to "mine".

again, all of these will make very little and you not offset our electricity cost.

With the price hikes in Crypto, GPU mining is profitable again, Monero mining also went up which just uses CPU. Z11 ASIC is making over $9/day which is nice to see. Seems like I just turned into a coin collector, traded BTC a number of times for a profit but that is about it.

Back