Any luck installing a 3000 Ryzen on an X370?

mazeroth

Limp Gawd
I picked up the heavily discounted ASUS PRIME X370-PRO from Micro Center a few days ago for $49 ($19 after $30 combo discount) with the 2700x for $199, both still new. The 3600 now comes with a $50 motherboard discount, so I was thinking of taking the 2700x back, and getting the 3600 instead, for $20 less. I game 99% of the time.

My question is, how successful have you guys been running these new chips on X370 boards? Good idea to swap the 2700x for the 3600, for $20 less?

Thanks!

I am going to upgrade to the 3900X on my Crosshair VI Hero board but it might be a bit since I am looking ant next week to upgrade.

If you take your 2700X back - you might be in a pickle if your old stock X370 doesn't have a BIOS on it that works with the 3000 series Ryzen..

Since this is related. Does anyone think the 3000 series on an X370 (Asrock Gaming k4 here) will have any issues with higher clocked RAM? I see they're certified for 3200 stock.

I'm talking like 3333, 3400, or 3600mhz as examples.

If you take your 2700X back - you might be in a pickle if your old stock X370 doesn't have a BIOS on it that works with the 3000 series Ryzen..

It won't. He will need to open the 2700x and use it to flash or have MC do it for $30 (that's the price they charge from what I am told).

It's worth the $30 to see your new 3k CPU post and know you aren't going to have a bunch of issues when you get home.

All this being said, with the sad state of many x570 boArds BIOS, the beta bios that have been released for x370/470 (I have both boards in the form of the Auss Prime Pro) don't exactly have me brimming with confidence.

I guess I'll find out Wednesday night when my lady FedEx guy arrives with my 3700x from NE.

Since this is related. Does anyone think the 3000 series on an X370 (Asrock Gaming k4 here) will have any issues with higher clocked RAM? I see they're certified for 3200 stock.

A lot of it is going to be be firmware dependant. The current status for many brands is iffy.

If they are the same cost, say 3200c16 vs 3600c19, you could always get the 3600 kit and rub it slower with tighter timings.

Rubbing it might generate too much static electricity. :eek:

Lol.. Lagging mobile internet (Spectrum had a crazy outage today which then brought Verizon's network down to sub 3Mbps at the bed tod times for the win.

Thanks for the laugh. :p:p

All this being said, with the sad state of many x570 boArds BIOS, the beta bios that have been released for x370/470 (I have both boards in the form of the Auss Prime Pro) don't exactly have me brimming with confidence.

I guess I'll find out Wednesday night when my lady FedEx guy arrives with my 3700x from NE.

What's the problem with the BIOS? The only issue I've heard about so far is some CPU's are boosting between 25-75mhz lower than they should be on single core and I think that's already been addressed with some vendors.

I'm curious as well, I have absolute plans to upgrade my MOBO in the future, but getting a 3900X into my current X370 board would be a really nice way to have a drastic immediate improvement before I get the money for a $300 MOBO.

Update: Looks like my MOBO got a BIOS update for the 3000 series. I'll need confirmation before I spend the $$$ on a new CPU first.
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4/index.asp#BIOS

Fun fact: This was a launch MOBO that people said was EOL literally a month after it launched because ASrock made a (slightly cheaper) refresh. Here it is, over 2 years later, still getting updated for new CPUs.

Last edited:
What's the problem with the BIOS? The only issue I've heard about so far is some CPU's are boosting between 25-75mhz lower than they should be on single core and I think that's already been addressed with some vendors.

X570 had some issues (especially the Asus media review mobo. See the T heStilts great write up on Overclock.net I believe it was. I saw it in my Google feed via Reddit, in /rAMD if IIRC, but I am not a Reddit expert. Basically AMD told them to use a certain BIOS, some outlets did and others did not, hence the different results. But there was something so wrong with the Asus mobo that he reached out to them and they acknowledged it, but he will not reveal what it is. But they are pissed so much of their review time was wasted. IIRC they was working 16 hr days since AMD had launch silicon ready 2 months ago but would not let mobo makers leave the room with silicon.

I read users complaining of complete instability of systems at stock (on older mobos 3xx/4xx) BSODs non stop etc. It just has some strange teething issues that seem could have been avoided.

X570 had some issues (especially the Asus media review mobo. See the T heStilts great write up on Overclock.net I believe it was. I saw it in my Google feed via Reddit, in /rAMD if IIRC, but I am not a Reddit expert. Basically AMD told them to use a certain BIOS, some outlets did and others did not, hence the different results. But there was something so wrong with the Asus mobo that he reached out to them and they acknowledged it, but he will not reveal what it is. But they are pissed so much of their review time was wasted. IIRC they was working 16 hr days since AMD had launch silicon ready 2 months ago but would not let mobo makers leave the room with silicon.

I read users complaining of complete instability of systems at stock (on older mobos 3xx/4xx) BSODs non stop etc. It just has some strange teething issues that seem could have been avoided.

Well I hope all that will be addressed by the time I get all my parts since I went with an ASUS board. Updating BIOS and downloading the latest drivers are definitely the first things I'll be doing. I don't even think I'll be messing with OC since it appears All-Core OC is going to yield in lower clocks than what the CPU will do stock for single core boost and with 12c/24t to work with, I think my multi-threading performance will be quite adequate at stock so i'd rather have the better single core boost performance.

The VRMS will dictate how the cpu will run on the board and also the Vendor has to provide bios updates. I would think a 3900k will work in most boards if it could run a 2700x.

Assuming the board supports the CPU, running Ryzen 3000 (up to and including the 3900X) is absolutely not a problem; just make sure there's SOME airflow around the socket if you're using a cheap board with weak VRMs.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-9-3900x-tested-on-cheap-b350-motherboard/
Oh wow, that definitely makes me feel like it would work fine in my board.

I've always had issues with RAM frequency on this build, would upgrading to a 3000 series potentially allow me to use my current ram at a faster speed? (It's rated for 3200.)

Oh wow, that definitely makes me feel like it would work fine in my board.

I've always had issues with RAM frequency on this build, would upgrading to a 3000 series potentially allow me to use my current ram at a faster speed? (It's rated for 3200.)

IF the UFI is a stable release, in theory it would since the 3K series officially supports 3200. How old is the BIO you have?

EDIT: Just realized you are running 48GB of ram? So you are running a mixed setup of 2x8GB and 2x16GB? That is going to hurt you, but you might get lucky and get at least 2933. Why are you running such a strange setup, given you are on a Ryzen 1 setup now?

Long story short: it was on sale.

I use 16GB of it as RAM cache, which leaves 32GB for everything else. It works extremely well for my current needs, but it was.... frustrating*... To get booting.

*Being very kind.

I picked up the heavily discounted ASUS PRIME X370-PRO from Micro Center a few days ago for $49 ($19 after $30 combo discount) with the 2700x for $199, both still new. The 3600 now comes with a $50 motherboard discount, so I was thinking of taking the 2700x back, and getting the 3600 instead, for $20 less. I game 99% of the time.

My question is, how successful have you guys been running these new chips on X370 boards? Good idea to swap the 2700x for the 3600, for $20 less?

Thanks!

Update BIOS to 4801/5008 first. ASUS added zen2 support for the Prime X370 Pro on BIOS 4801. I just flashed mine up to 5008 and will test out R3600 later this week before I take the 2700X back.

Also, check that your BIOS version is atleast 3803 to be able to post with the 2700X, otherwise you can request a bootkit from AMD or pickup/borrow a cheap AM4 chip to flash it. My board came with 3805 on it (can you check version by the last 4 digits on the sticker between DIMM/CPU slot)

• AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (3.6GHz,65W,L3:32M,6C,B0) ALL 4801
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600X (3.8GHz,95W,L3:32M,6C,B0) ALL 4801
  • AMD Ryzen7 3700X (3.6GHz,65W,L3:32M,8C,B0) ALL 4801
  • AMD Ryzen7 3800X (3.9GHz,105W,L3:32M,8C,B0) ALL 4801
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-X370-PRO/HelpDesk_CPU/

Last edited:

If anyone is curious. Asrock put out an updated BIOS for Ryzen 3000 support (P5.40) yesterday. Went ahead and flashed my board even though I'm still on my old 1300x.

If anyone is curious. Asrock put out an updated BIOS for Ryzen 3000 support (P5.40) yesterday. Went ahead and flashed my board even though I'm still on my old 1300x.
Looks like we're on the same board. I don't think I'll be upgrading for another few months, so if you take the plunge and go for a 3000 series, let me know how it treats you.

Yes, the board also plays a factor with RAM.

My 2700X ran 4x16GB DDR4 3200s on a Crosshair 7 with few issues. The same 2700X wouldn't do 2x8GB DDR4 3200 @ 3200, and needed to go down to 2933 on two other boards (see my sig PCs).

Well I put a order in with Best Buy, no eta yet tho, Chipset and bios all updated and ready to go tho, reports on the ROG forums seem to show most are having no issues with the 3000 series on my board.

I have a X370-i and a 3700x I'm getting x44 multipler or hitting 4.4ghz max boost seems to run around 4.2 or 4.3 with normal loads. My problem is my Gskill X-flare 3200CL14 kit won't run with normal timings and it will only run at 2400mhz 1.2v ? I tried settings with Ryzen Dram calculator but it won't post?

I figured it out got 3200 CL14 working at 1.35v . There is a bug in the ASUS X370-i bios with the dram voltage and what you need to do is run the frequency at 2400mhz and up the voltage to 1.35v and make sure everything else such as timings and stuff is auto and save reboot etc then go back in the bios make sure it shows the correct 1.35 voltage then up the frequency to 3200mhz save reboot etc
then go back in and do your subtimings. Also i didn;t do the XMP. D.O.C.P. profile i did manual. Hope this helps

I figured it out got 3200 CL14 working at 1.35v . There is a bug in the ASUS X370-i bios with the dram voltage and what you need to do is run the frequency at 2400mhz and up the voltage to 1.35v and make sure everything else such as timings and stuff is auto and save reboot etc then go back in the bios make sure it shows the correct 1.35 voltage then up the frequency to 3200mhz save reboot etc
then go back in and do your subtimings. Also i didn;t do the XMP. D.O.C.P. profile i did manual. Hope this helps

Should have a sub menu for dram boot voltage, not sure why they decided to do that.

I'm using Ryzen Dram caclulator ver 1.5.1 all the safe timings work select Ryzen+ 3200 single rank for X370/B350 couldn't get Fast setting timings to work yet that had working with my 2600 previously.

I was able to get my X-flare ram to run at 3200 CL 14-14-14-34-48 TFRC 307 T1 Gear down mode off Power mode off ran memtest passed. You need to use Ryzen Dram calculator and enter all the voltages manually.

Well I put a order in with Best Buy, no eta yet tho, Chipset and bios all updated and ready to go tho, reports on the ROG forums seem to show most are having no issues with the 3000 series on my board.
I just booted the 3600 on the Prime X370 Pro to make sure all works well.

Ran CPU Userbenchmark and so far so good, minus the junker of an HDD I was using just to test everything until I get my nvme.

I just booted the 3600 on the Prime X370 Pro to make sure all works well.

Ran CPU Userbenchmark and so far so good, minus the junker of an HDD I was using just to test everything until I get my nvme.

I think the 3600 series cpu's have less problems with motherboards than the higher core count chips.

Just got as 3800x in the mail today from amazon. Going to give it a go in my x370 later today. Hopefully all goes well.

Well Best Buy has given me a ship day of the 21st, so looks like it's going to be a bit before I can try it out and let you know.

I've had my 3800x in my Gigabyte x370 Gaming K7. Runs fine. The only issue is the m.2 drive is not detected, it's a known issue with the BIOS and an update is coming.

Here are some screen shots of about a 15 minute game play in BFV. CPU Cooler is a Noctua nh-u12s.
I left out the columns. Averages are far right.

Capture.JPG Capture2.JPG

there is a bug in bios with fclk you gotta set it manually to your ram for the 1:1 ratio AMD promised. So i have 3200 mhz ram so i set it to 1600mhz from the drop down menu.

it will work remember on ryzen the pcie controller and mem controller are on the cpu this is why you are seeing 1st gen and 2nd gen boards with pcie 4.0 showing active you just needed a board that didn't skimp on the bios memory looking directly at you msi

My processor has shipped, will finally be able to try out the 3900X on my X370 board.

I've been following the Crosshair VI forum over at Overclockers.Net (because I have a Crosshair VI Hero & a Crosshair VI Extreme):

Crosshair VI Hero (x370) seems hit or miss - some people have no problems at all with any 3000-series chips including the 3900x, others have to screw with it for a bit to get it going, and still others can't get it to work at all (Error codes 07 or 05 on the LED display). This is with the latest official BIOS, of course (7106). Some people are trying to correlate more problems with rev 1.03 boards but there is not enough data as yet to be sure if that is a factor. Also, a lot of people aren't clear if they are having problems with the Crosshair VI Hero or the Crosshair VI Hero WiFi which use different and completely incompatible BIOS's, but they keep the same numbering scheme meaning the latest BIOS for both is numbered 7106.

Crosshair VI Extreme and Crosshair VII seem to both be doing just fine with their lastest respective BIOS updates.

Has anyone updated an MSI X370 board with a 3000 series ? Seems a few of the mb manufacturers, like MSI, used smallish BIOS chips for their X3, X4, B3, B4 series motherboards. So updating the BIOS for a 3000 series CPU results in a stripped down BIOS (because of the larger AGESA code required by the Ryzen 2's, they strip some of the earlier BIOS features out to make room). (https://www.msi.com/blog/the-latest-bios-for-amd-300-400-series-motherboard[URL]https://www.msi.com/blog/the-latest-bios-for-amd-300-400-series-motherboard [/URL]) I'm not really sure how much is functionality vs look-feel.

I've got an MSI X370 SLI Plus I was going to put a 3600 on, but I'm kind of waiting for more feedback now before I go for it.

I don't know how widely spread this bit of information was pre-launch. But the first I heard of it was this week, when I went to check for BIOS updates for my board.

Back