Any love for an ATI 5770?

OvrrDrive

2[H]4U
I posted this in the supported video card thread but I guess no one reads stickies around here. :p

I just got a Powercolor 5770 and tried to install fah on it but I get this:

fah_gpu.jpg

I read on Stanford's website that the 5000's aren't supported yet but I've seen at least one 5850 or 5870 that was folding. Is there anything I can do to get this to work?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131327

I think there is a -forcegpu ati_r700 flag you can add that may help. I had to use -forcegpu nvidia_g80 on a Quadro FX3700 to get it to run on F@H.

Correct: The "-forcegpu ati_r700" flag will get it up and running

Just add it to the shortcut minus the " " part

ATI cards should be used for DC-Vault applications such as RC5-72. This is one application where they really kick NVIDIA's ass. :D

Awesome. I have run out of time on my lunchbreak but I'll get it going tonight.

Tobit, do I have to do anything special to run the RC5-72's?

Tobit, do I have to do anything special to run the RC5-72's?
No, just download the Stream client from here:

http://www.distributed.net/download/prerelease.php

When you run it for the very first time, it will initiate a menu driven configuration routine. Most of the defaults can be left alone, just make sure to enter a valid email address so you can be credited properly. Then, simply restart the client. From that point on it will use the saved configuration.

ATI cards should be used for DC-Vault applications such as RC5-72. This is one application where they really kick NVIDIA's ass. :D

I suppose so if just finding encryption keys is your thing....:confused:

I suppose so if just finding encryption keys is your thing....:confused:
Well, the point of this thread, I thought, was maximizing points for the [H]orde from ATI hardware. If disease research was ones only interest, then one should just suck it up and live with the abysmal points from running ATI hardware with F@H and not worry about points. The [H]orde participates in more projects than just F@H.

I thought the OP was trying to get his card running F at H...let me look again....yep, he wanted to get his ATI card running F@H. Anyway, to each his own.

Shows how much I know... I thought an RC5-72 was a kind of protein. :p

I'll just see what kind of ppd it gets on the gpu client. If it's too bad I'll save the heat cycles and not run it.

I'm getting "GPU FAH core download error, waiting to retry"...

Anyone know what to try?

I thought the OP was trying to get his card running F at H...let me look again....yep, he wanted to get his ATI card running F@H. Anyway, to each his own.

Hey DooKey. Lots of people in this subforum run other projects. Maybe it would be better if you didnt insult your teammates that choose to run these. You dont see us running around thread crapping on F@H threads. :rolleyes: Thanks for discouraging someone who was actually interested in helping one of the other [H]ard teams.

OP - RC5-72 is an easy project to setup. If you decide you want some help setting it up dont hesitate to ask. Otherwise there are BOINC projects called Milkyway@home and Collatz@home that both take full advantage of ATI cards. I have ran both projects and they run stable and wont give you any problems. Take a look at their sites if your interested. As always - Thanks for considering it. :)

Hey DooKey. Lots of people in this subforum run other projects. Maybe it would be better if you didnt insult your teammates that choose to run these. You dont see us running around thread crapping on F@H threads. :rolleyes: Thanks for discouraging someone who was actually interested in helping one of the other [H]ard teams.

OP - RC5-72 is an easy project to setup. If you decide you want some help setting it up dont hesitate to ask. Otherwise there are BOINC projects called Milkyway@home and Collatz@home that both take full advantage of ATI cards. I have ran both projects and they run stable and wont give you any problems. Take a look at their sites if your interested. As always - Thanks for considering it. :)

This thread was a F@H thread. I didn't thread crap. I suggest you go back to the top and reread this thread and what it was about before you get your nose out of wack.

Last edited:
I'm getting "GPU FAH core download error, waiting to retry"...

Anyone know what to try?

You need to give the shortcut admin rights. Go to the compatibility tab and select run as administrator. That should do it.

This thread was a F@H thread. I didn't thread crap.
The OP was given the solution to his problem early on so I merely offered another means to maximize the potential with his ATI card as we aren't a purely F@H community here at [H]ard. ATI cards run so much better with some other DC applications compared to F@H so it was a valid comment.

We have always been a very laid back community here and MANY threads often veer off-topic. I apologize for my use of vulgarity in this thread, as it was truly uncalled for, but I will not apologize for suggesting he use another DC application with his ATI card.

OK, it looks like a big of GenMay spilled over to this thread.

I think the OP should be good. ;)

Client is running smoothly now but according to the task manager it's taking 20% of the cpu to do it. HFM is claiming a whopping 2183 ppd from it right now. I have it throttled back to 80% though. After I see that everything is stable I'll crank that up. I see no reason not to max it during the warranty period.

Client is running smoothly now but according to the task manager it's taking 20% of the cpu to do it. HFM is claiming a whopping 2183 ppd from it right now. I have it throttled back to 80% though. After I see that everything is stable I'll crank that up. I see no reason not to max it during the warranty period.

Good job. Welcome to the fold.

Fold On!

What I meant to say was that the gpu client is stealing 20% of the processor from my SMP client. Frames have gone from about 6.5 Mpf to 27...

Should I be taking that much of a hit?

It doesn't seem like it will be profitable to fold on this gpu.

What I meant to say was that the gpu client is stealing 20% of the processor from my SMP client.
Sounds about right. This kind of CPU usage is typical with the ATI work units. Combine this with low PpD numbers and you see why many people are unhappy. :(

That's what I thought too... I'll play with it later but I stopped the gpu client before I left.

Back