Any long term dust related or other problems to running computer with case open?

jhokie

Limp Gawd
My dell system runs quite hot with my geforce 6600GT, and I can help this problem alot by running with the case side panel open. Are there any problems to doing this? Should I look into alternative cooling solutions rather than doing this? Thanks for any responses.

I can tell you (from experience) that yes, you will run cooler, and yes, you will end up with a LOT more dust inside your case, since you've opened up a huge opening for it to enter.

Will it cause long term detrimental effects? Not if you keep it blown out from time to time. In fact, if you want to keep it a bit less dusty, but still allow airflow in through the door, get some cheesecloth (or other fine screening material like that), and put it across the side of the case where the door would normally be. You'll filter a lot of dust, and still allow air into the case.

Better yet, practise your modding skills, and put an intake fan (toward the bottom of the door) and an exhaust fan (near the top of the door), with some cool fan grills. Then take pictures, and show them off here (and make sure to make your wiring pretty, so you don't have to listen to all the crud about that!! LOL). :cool:

Back