Any limits of iOS 5 to original iPad?

FerraraZ

Gawd
I'm in the market for an iPad and wanted to go with the 64GB model on Apple refurb for 399. My only real question is are there any limitations to iOS 5 update on the original iPad compared if I were to buy an iPad 2 and run iOS 5 on that?

No, there are no limitations. The only time Apple limits older hardware is when a feature requires new hardware. For example, there is no FaceTime on the 3GS because it requires a front-facing camera, which the 3GS doesn't have.

You'll be fine.

No, there are no limitations. The only time Apple limits older hardware is when a feature requires new hardware. For example, there is no FaceTime on the 3GS because it requires a front-facing camera, which the 3GS doesn't have.

You'll be fine.

What about siri?

You'll be fine.

I don't agree with this statement. But the original iPad has no difference than the iPad 2 with regard to ios 5. And Siri isn't available on iPad as of yet.

Siri likely won't make it to the iPad 1, since it has no mic, iirc. Of course, BT and wired TRRS headsets will likely work.

iPad 1's have a mic, as I used to do Skype on mine all the time.

Now the proocessor speed on the 1's is the more likely holdup for Siri on them however.... :D

There is 1 artificial limit, on the iPad 2 you can enable multitouch gestures for multitasking. It's not included in iOS 5 on the iPad 1 and you must use the home button.

I'm in the market for an iPad and wanted to go with the 64GB model on Apple refurb for 399. My only real question is are there any limitations to iOS 5 update on the original iPad compared if I were to buy an iPad 2 and run iOS 5 on that?

There is one major feature that is missing for the iPad 1 other than Siri and cameras and that is multi-touch gestures.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technol...i-touch-gestures-original-ipad-173909548.html

There is no reason given by Apple thus far on why they have chosen to make that decision, as the iPad running 4.3x was more than able to keep up using multi-touch. Whether or not that is an important feature or not is up to you. Personally, I think the A5 is the killer feature over multi-touch, but how much power you want/need is also a decision you need to make.

The iPad 1 is still awesome. But once you get used to the faster processor it is hard to go back. Mainly in web surfing.

Now the proocessor speed on the 1's is the more likely holdup for Siri on them however.... :D

I hope you were being sarcastic.

Not having siri on iphone 3GS, 4, and ipad 1 is strictly an artificial limitation. All the audio processing is done server side. Apple is only doing this to push the sales of the iphone 4S :mad:

Audio processing is done client side, the actual meaning of the words are decoded on the server side. Otherwise, a fair amount of bandwidth would be used (not for the users, but Apple itself).

So yes, a faster CPU would likely be of benefit.

I already bought an iPad 1. Amazon had one for 305 and I couldnt resist. I figure multitouch can be put in there once iOS 5 is jailbroken.

I tried multitouch on my iPad 1 back on 4.3.3 and I didn't see that it was a big deal. Ios5 on iPad 1 is pretty good, the browser specifically is so much better I can finally use safari as my main browser instead of atomic. Glad I skipped tpad2.

Also remember that the iPad 1 only has 256 MB of RAM, so that can be a nuisance sometimes, and is one of the main reasons I upgraded to iPad 2.

Also remember that the iPad 1 only has 256 MB of RAM, so that can be a nuisance sometimes, and is one of the main reasons I upgraded to iPad 2.

Same here. 256mb just didn't get the job done all the time, so I sold my iPad to a friend and picked up an iPad 2.

The processor and everything else about the iPad were great, but I couldn't stand the memory limitation... especially if you like to multitask a lot.

I hope you were being sarcastic.

Not having siri on iphone 3GS, 4, and ipad 1 is strictly an artificial limitation. All the audio processing is done server side. Apple is only doing this to push the sales of the iphone 4S :mad:

I think it has to do more with the fact that supporting iphone 4 devices (not going to count 3gs) would dramatically increase the scale of back end servers needed for the service. Remember the first weekend of the 4s release when they couldn't keep up? That was 4 million phones, imagine it with 20 million. Adding 3GS probably would have made it over 40 million.

I think it has to do more with the fact that supporting iphone 4 devices (not going to count 3gs) would dramatically increase the scale of back end servers needed for the service. Remember the first weekend of the 4s release when they couldn't keep up? That was 4 million phones, imagine it with 20 million. Adding 3GS probably would have made it over 40 million.

that's a good point. I can see Apple eventually adding Siri to other iOS devices with a FW update (at least the iphone 4 and ipad1/2). I believe that I read that it was still in beta as of now, so who knows. Maybe they're planning on slowly rolling it out. The rumored Apple Television set will probably use to as well.

Back