Any IQ loss (mainly in textures) going from 40" to 55" in 4k?

InaDaise

Limp Gawd
For pc games mostly, and some movies and videos. I'm ready to get my first 55" screen and it'll be either a LG Oled 4k TV or Samsung Qled 4k TV. I'm mostly into graphics in games and especially sharp textures. Lighting and other IQ matters too of course.

So I will be stopping in the middle of action in games to stare at the gfx a whole lot. Sorry if that sounds in the minority. My current 40" Samsung TV is quite stunning running on a Titan Xp and i7 7700 which will be the same specs for the new 55" TV. I'll play on both separately. I'll just get a new pc for the new TV.

I get about 110 ppi on my 40" 4k TV which is really quite nice. And the ppi will go down on the 55" one. But maybe that's not necessarily anything to worry about for textures and overall visuals. So if I'm sitting at the correct distance from the TV will I even notice any IQ difference? Post is bit long but I felt I had to describe the big screen I have now and so on.

Strictly speaking no, but being bigger any existing issues will be more visible.

Fortunately if you move the screen 37% closer to where you're sitting now and you can simulate the change of putting a bigger TV in the same location as your current one.

ex if you're currently 40" from your screen slide it toward you/lean forward until your eyes are only 29" away: 40" /(55/40) = 40/1.375 = 29".

If you're currently only 30" away, move until you're 22" back: 30" /(55/40) = 30"/1.375 = 22".

This obviously can't help with modelling if your new TV is intrinsically better (better color, higher contrast, etc) than the old one, but will let you take the size factor out of it.

It’s 4K. Go big. Get a 2080 Ti so you can max settings and AA. Done. Gaming bliss.

After getting used to the high density PPI of phones and Retina screens on the MacBook Pro, even my HP Spectre glossy (The only gloss 4K ATM) 32" 4K looks not-so-great up close, 2-2.5ft away it looks 90% as good though. For me IMO 4K is best suited for 27-30" and 5K for 32-40" and 8K for 55" although thats just because I'm used to 150 PPI and above, my old 27" 1440p monitors look horrible in comparison and my older 27" 1080p is like minecraft but if you sit farther back its not so bad, I just prefer sitting 2-3ft. 32" 4K becomes retina at 3ft so I'd say 32" is max for 4K if you are super anal about PPI.

The downside to large, high res, high PPI screens is very demanding for gaming and scaling may be an issue for some but I still use Windows 7 @ 150 scaling and NoSquint Plus, no issues. More and more websites are supporting scaling and so are apps. It's not a decision for me, if the text is too small I crank up the scaling, install Firefox Addons to selectively increase text size only.

I'm getting into professional photo editing + 3D modeling that requires me to get really close to the screen at times so that is another reason why PPI is so important to me. As long as It's 110 PPI and above it shouldn't bother the average user but if you're doing professional work for money then PPI becomes everything. I'm considering a UP2715K glossy 5K with that purplish/greenish coating you see on eyeglasses (The same exact Anti-reflective coating, mind you) its AR coated glass so like the glare rreduction of matte but with clarity of glossy. Sadly It's discontinued so if ANYONE knows where I can get a Dell UP2715K 27" 5K then let me know in the reply or PM me. Willing to pay $2000 max.

90% of people will be fine with a lower PPI, larger size screen but I'm speaking from the minority. Maybe you're like me and prefer both big screen and a high PPI but till 5K and 8K becomes affordable to run, 40"+ is out of the question for me. Would be cool to have a 40" screen with a PPI that surpasses 27" 4K like 8K 42"... Good luck gaming on that though.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Back