Any interest in PicoPSU based Mini-ITX case?

Can't wait for this next batch of L1's come in, already dumped the Kraken X40 for AXP100(with Prolima ultra sleek 140mm fan) in my half empty Node 304 in preparation, great temps. It'll be nice to get some desktop back. Just need some slim 80mm PWM fans.

No but my ASUS mobo does have daughter card so just to give some breathing room. Akasa has also released for sale some new 80x10 pwms, actually 3 widths. May get noiseblockers though

Yes, I do have a few for the original L1. I can sell them for $10 CAD/each, which is my cost on them.

I think I want one, but I'm moving next week so I might have to wait until after. I have a nice little Kaveri build in my case now, totally silent and decently fast too. Its hooked up to my TV as an HTPC.

Best of all is the 750 ti requires no additional power cables. Please make this case now!!!

It doesn't look like those are half-height cards though. The custom case, whether single or dual slot, takes half-height video cards. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

It doesn't look like those are half-height cards though. The custom case, whether single or dual slot, takes half-height video cards. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

They ought to be LP. The pictures of them are really bad though.

My Kaveri and R7 250 crossfire thoughts got thrown out of the window pretty quick.

Now it's i7 "T" and 750 Ti driven by streacoms upcoming 180W pico psu.

A scythe big shuriken 2 rev B with maybe (just maybe) a 140mm fan on top (that if it's any room for it and if I got the energy to cut out the hole.

The one Drown Babies linked to is definitely half height. It just has a full height bracket on it to accommodate the VGA connector. I assume it also ships with a half height bracket and you lose the VGA connector.

The one Drown Babies linked to is definitely half height. It just has a full height bracket on it to accommodate the VGA connector. I assume it also ships with a half height bracket and you lose the VGA connector.

Yeah, that's how most low-profile video cards work, at least most that I've seen, although not the HD7750.

There is product page up now, well sort-of, it has pictures but seems to be describing one of the full height versions. And it looks like there is a low profile 750, too.

http://www.galaxytech.com/__EN_GB__/Product2/ProductDetail?proID=517&isStop=0&isPack=False&isPow=False

I would love if they made a fanless low profile 750.
I trying to google fu my way to answer my question:
Can you switch the fan from a 750 with something passive (are the holes in the PCB the same on most cards)??
So far No, no, maybe, probably no. (to the one question I asked).

The TDP is low enough that I hope to a company produce a passive one.

now the odds of it also being LP half height require a bit more hope.

Yeah, are odds are it'll be double like the one XFX makes for the R7 240

20131007224342_R7-240A-CLH_1.jpg

The TDP is low enough that I hope to a company produce a passive one.

now the odds of it also being LP half height require a bit more hope.

Here's a peak at my current dual slot design (aka L2). Keeping with the whole KISS principle, I've made as few changes as possible to the L1 design. Dimensions are 220x101x239 mm. The only way I could reduce the size is to require the use of slim 80 mm case fan(s).

Note: It doesn't actually have dual slots, just enough room for dual slot heatsinks. As far as I can tell, there aren't any low profile brackets that take up two slots?

Last edited:
Many LP cards with a flexible VGA output come with a second bracket:

igZSrOV.png

jzZfWLg.png

Many LP cards with a flexible VGA output come with a second bracket:

Okay, thanks vipz. So probably include a second slot for sure then. Any other thoughts, let me know. The only downside I see is it's one more slot to cover if you don't use it (I don't include slot covers). Also, I will have to cut out the flange above the slots/mounting tabs (like the L1), as opposed to what's shown in the image above.

Okay, thanks vipz. So probably include a second slot for sure then. Any other thoughts, let me know. The only downside I see is it's one more slot to cover if you don't use it (I don't include slot covers). Also, I will have to cut out the flange above the slots/mounting tabs (like the L1), as opposed to what's shown in the image above.

I kind of like that cutout over the mounting tab. I use it to route a SATA cable out to an external drive, but you could also squeeze an internal USB cable out of there if you need more connections. It's not too noticeable unless you're looking at it from directly behind anyway.

Also, is there any change to the space between the top of the case and the MB? I'm thinking of the tight fit between a case fan and the picoPSU cables.

I kind of like that cutout over the mounting tab. I use it to route a SATA cable out to an external drive, but you could also squeeze an internal USB cable out of there if you need more connections. It's not too noticeable unless you're looking at it from directly behind anyway.

Also, is there any change to the space between the top of the case and the MB? I'm thinking of the tight fit between a case fan and the picoPSU cables.

Yes, there is about 2 mm less space there. My thoughts are that if you're stuck with using that type of motherboard (ie. Gigabyte), then you still have options: use slim case fans, use one case fan, resolder the PicoPSU wires, or tie the wires back. One of my primary goals is to keep this as small as possible.

Edit: I may be able to get almost 1 mm back up top.

To answer the topic, I'm more interested in small internal PSUs and cases to fit them. I don't see the point in having a power brick the size of the case essentially.

A 170x210x40mm case to fit a 170x40x40mm PSU would be of definite interest to me. 120W at 90% efficiency would only output 12W of heat so that could be easily cooled by splash cooling from the CPU fan. Ideally the PSU would be all meshed up too for better airflow.

Such a case/psu + Kaveri/Carrizo APU with DDR4 would be amazing as a "Steam Box".

Yep, definitely needs two slots. By extending the case to include two slots, is it possible to fit two drive brackets???

Yep, definitely needs two slots. By extending the case to include two slots, is it possible to fit two drive brackets???

Not without making the case deeper. Even so, you'd then run into interference issues with PicoPSU wires with that type of MB.

With this version of the case will the top panel be grated?

Probably not. With the increased width, you could put a 25 mm fan over the CPU, and still have breathing room, all while keeping the noise inside the case. The bottom vent is larger now, and very close to the CPU cooler. Also, the new case feet are much taller than before at 9.5mm tall. These things should help improve cooling even further.

Last edited:
To answer the topic, I'm more interested in small internal PSUs and cases to fit them. I don't see the point in having a power brick the size of the case essentially.

I agree - I also noticed that my system gets a lot more noise for audio when using a pico + brick, both for USB powered audio devices, as well as sound cards. I ended up having to abandon the case, and use a normal case plus ATX PSU. Noise issues went away completely and immediately. Quite a bummer for me.

The powerbrick is a blasfemy in itself.

Though. Theoreticly you could fit something like streacom powerbrick inside the case. Should be atleast 1mm space infront of the motherboard.
Whould guess that you'll burn the system pretty fast with all the extra heat though.

A lot of power nuts here. I've run a pico on four separate builds and love these things. I would say if you are having a sound issue that is more of a motherboard problem as it not blocking out interference. As for wanting additional efficiency at the expense of making the case bigger you are doing a lot to save 12-16 watts.

+1 on that or at least a ground issue/loop somewhere.

A lot of power nuts here. I've run a pico on four separate builds and love these things. I would say if you are having a sound issue that is more of a motherboard problem as it not blocking out interference. As for wanting additional efficiency at the expense of making the case bigger you are doing a lot to save 12-16 watts.

@tejpis, I'm a bit spoiled with my small, light 60W power brick. ;)

There will always be more room outside a case than inside. Once you find a nice spot for a brick on the floor, you'll never think about it again! Everything has it's pros and cons though. I dislike big power adapters as much as the next person.

I have looked a little at fanless open frame switching power supplies. I'm not very knowledgeable with power supplies/electronics, so it's not an easy area for me to research. If you have any links/info on fanless power supplies I'd be interested in checking it out. More than likely my design would need to be made larger to fit an internal power supply. That's not really something I'd like to do.

@Shockwave818, Did you have a Lone Industries case that you had to abandon?

If there is an L3 in the future it would be cool to experiment with some type of internal, brick-free power supply.

but just like the thread has always said, this is a Pico PSU case. I don't have a problem with using a Pico PSU and a brick as my brick isn't actually visable, just my case.

Yeah (Mankey on SCPR BTW) - I did have to give up using a Lone Industries case as an audio centric computer, I simply could not get the noise issues solved until I went away from the Pico and brick (tried several, even a dedicated meanwell DC psu).

Re purposed it as an office computer for my mom. Completely fine in that application, as she's not doing any critical listening at all. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the case, it simply just didn't work out for an audio centric application (Pico/Brick's fault, not case).

Here's some mini-itx AC-DC open frames from Sparkle I was looking, only need 5 CFM airflow. They are 55-150W pretty long though 180x50x40ish, decided to just go with a brick, rather than mod at this point.

http://www.sparklepower.com/proOpenFrameInverter.html#ACDC

@tejpis, I'm a bit spoiled with my small, light 60W power brick. ;)

There will always be more room outside a case than inside. Once you find a nice spot for a brick on the floor, you'll never think about it again! Everything has it's pros and cons though. I dislike big power adapters as much as the next person.

I have looked a little at fanless open frame switching power supplies. I'm not very knowledgeable with power supplies/electronics, so it's not an easy area for me to research. If you have any links/info on fanless power supplies I'd be interested in checking it out. More than likely my design would need to be made larger to fit an internal power supply. That's not really something I'd like to do.

Yeah (Mankey on SCPR BTW) - I did have to give up using a Lone Industries case as an audio centric computer, I simply could not get the noise issues solved until I went away from the Pico and brick (tried several, even a dedicated meanwell DC psu).

Re purposed it as an office computer for my mom. Completely fine in that application, as she's not doing any critical listening at all. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the case, it simply just didn't work out for an audio centric application (Pico/Brick's fault, not case).

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm not an audiophile by any means, but I do care about audio quality. I wonder if the tech support at Mini-box.com would have any ideas? They replaced a PicoPSU for me at no charge once, and were very interested in helping resolve my issues (this was in the VIA M1000 days though).

Back