Any interest in PicoPSU based Mini-ITX case?

Someone else's build photos. Shows how they ended up modifying wires and sleeved them.

http://imgur.com/a/91XcD

Those cables do look nice, those SATA power cable came out a lot better than mine. I'm still thinking about flipping the picoPSU cables to the other side and sleeving them, I just need to get a sharper soldering tip.

The sleeving and heatshrink wrap isn't very hard to do with such a small amount of cables, it's just some of the soldering that gets me.

About the bottom vent, I would leave the fan mount holes. Even if most people don't use them it's still nice to have them there, at least it gives you the option.

Not to be pushy but I thought I was hoping if you had any input on a new top grated panel? I would like to order one ASAP, I just purchased the asus rog and want to put it in it's new home! Thanks.

Not to be pushy but I thought I was hoping if you had any input on a new top grated panel? I would like to order one ASAP, I just purchased the asus rog and want to put it in it's new home! Thanks.

Sorry updawg, to offer a vented side panel at $25 shipped, I'd need about 25 people committed. Currently only three people have mentioned they'd like one. To get around this, I was thinking that I could produce a few at the same time I produce a new batch of cases. I'm not exactly sure when I'll do this though. I'd like to consider all the feedback, and what if any changes I should make. I also still have some cases in stock. A new batch of cases is probably 2-3 months away at the earliest.

What do you think about a single large 120 mm fan cutout that you'd have to use a wire fan grille with? Or would you prefer something like what I posted previously.

I'd say throw your new motherboard in and test how the cooling works. That'd be great information to have for those who aren't wanting a vented side panel. :)

I would prefer the grated panel you posted previously. I could use a dremel now and do a hack job and throw a fan grill on top, but I want to keep the clean aesthetics of the case. Let me know in the 2-3 months when you make another batch if you plan on making the panel as I would definitely still be interested.

I would prefer the grated panel you posted previously. I could use a dremel now and do a hack job and throw a fan grill on top, but I want to keep the clean aesthetics of the case. Let me know in the 2-3 months when you make another batch if you plan on making the panel as I would definitely still be interested.

I have a 120mm hole cutting bit in the garage. I am really tempted. I agree with you though, the clean lines will be lost with a fan grill on there.

I had a little time last night to mess around with positioning of the side panel vent, and it appears to be nearly impossible to have it positioned perfectly for all motherboards. The CPU position changes even when looking at one manufacturer (eg. ASUS). Then you also have variances with the position of large CPU coolers. I'm thinking that having it centered on the side panel may be the way to go. I'll post pictures soon, showing vent position relative to the motherboard. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I am on board with it placed dead center, it will look best visually that way as well.

I was toying with the idea of moving the case fans to the bottom today. Not sure it'd be an overall improvement though, besides providing really good cooling for the GPU, and being a little quieter.

Last edited:
I'd love a design like that...cept slightly bigger to fit a sfx psu...and dual slot full height card...maybe 1x3.5"

so close with the M3A2...but unfortunately stuff happened and it didn't pan out :(

That seems a bit more than slightly bigger, I'd call it more like a whole lot bigger. I agree about the M3A2 though, it was a really great case design.

I like the design because I can forgo the fans and use a double width half height card!

I like the design because I can forgo the fans and use a double width half height card!

That's a good point. I wonder if you could fit slim 80mm in fans in that configuration, I guess it would depend on just how wide the card is. And this seems like a good match for the vented side panel, you wouldn't have to worry so much about case fans with it setup like that.

MY BRILLIANT IDEA: have two rear slots and two sets of mounting holes for the motherboard. If you use the left offset mobo mounting holes you use the left slot pci slot and have the fans on the right side, if you use the right offset mounting holes you use the right pci slot and fans mounted on the left side! Is this feasible? This also allows for dual slot low profile without any side fans.

Edit: Here is my sophisticated CAD rendering

Last edited:
That is a good idea. I can see two issues though. The MB offsets could interfere with the back of the MB, bumping up against something; including some kind of washers to put on the back of the MB might solve this.

And the I/O shield would need some consideration. Maybe you could cut out part of the side of the 1st pci slot bracket. That way you could adjust where the I/O shield attaches if you are using the bottom set of mounting offsets.

If it works it would certainly be nicer than having to make to separate designs.

The small distance in the bottom is the only thing that keeps me from buying this case.
How soon can you make it? :)

That is a good idea. I can see two issues though. The MB offsets could interfere with the back of the MB, bumping up against something; including some kind of washers to put on the back of the MB might solve this.

And the I/O shield would need some consideration. Maybe you could cut out part of the side of the 1st pci slot bracket. That way you could adjust where the I/O shield attaches if you are using the bottom set of mounting offsets.

If it works it would certainly be nicer than having to make to separate designs.

The offsets could be removable screw-in risers, and yes the back-plate would be the trickiest part!

@Daemos, Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, I currently dont have any plans to do a SFX case.

@updawg, Nice idea. Probably is feasible.

@updawg, @Drown Babies, Slim 80 mm fans probably wouldnt work. Hard to know without exact dimensions of the double wide card, and whether they take up the full two slots or not. I like that this design could help meet your needs a little better, while still giving me what I want in a case, without making it any larger. Without a GPU, the 80 mm fans should function the same as if they were at the top of the case. With a GPU, you have more room with the 80 mm fans removed, and a vented side panel and 120 mm fan. You could also have a 120 mm fan, and a single 80 mm fan blowing directly onto your single slot GPU.

@kotlos, The more people that say they want one, then the faster I will commit to the design. Its a little bit scary to have 20+ cases made, not knowing if I will be able to sell them or not! :) Takes anywhere from 2-4 weeks for the parts to be made and finished, once submitted. Takes another couple days for me to wire 20 or so switches.

@everyone, Would you mind if the hard drive bracket could only be mounted with the open end towards the front? Let me know if I need to clarify with a picture.

My second job is with a very small printer supplies & toner distributor. If you're interested, we may be able to serve as a distributor. Located in Springfield, Missouri -- good central location.

Last edited:
My second job is with a very small printer supplies & toner distributor. If you're interested, we may be able to serve as a distributor. Located in Springfield, Missouri -- good central location.

Thanks for the offer, I will keep it in mind. :)

If you put 140/120MM top panel it will move so much more air than 2x80mm fans no matter there placement.

I agree. No matter whether the 80 mm fans are at the top (current design), or I move them to the bottom, when you add a low profile GPU you obstruct the airflow to some degree. And this is where that vented side panel would be nice. Hopefully I can make it happen. Donations are welcome! :)

Last edited:
I'm about to start picking up components to build mine. I have a few ideas on what to do with 2.5" drives if I do decide to go for the X51 PSU, although I'm not sure I will need that one. Waiting to see what the new low-pro R7-240 brings.

@LigTasm, Velcro? :) Look forward to seeing your build. Honestly, I hope you don't have to resort to using an X51 (it'd make things much easier!).

Last edited:
Been messing around with moving the bottom flanges to the back (so the bottom is flush like the top). I'm not sure I like it yet... it would be nice for those who want to lay the case horizontally though.

10215266204_e4627d74ea_b.jpg

Last edited:
I'm about to start picking up components to build mine. I have a few ideas on what to do with 2.5" drives if I do decide to go for the X51 PSU, although I'm not sure I will need that one. Waiting to see what the new low-pro R7-240 brings.

XFX has low profile R7-240s and 250s, but they both look like they are dual slot. The 240 should be fine with a single slot cooler and a picoPSU; it looks like it's a bit weaker than the HD7750. The 250 looks like it will be about equal to the 7750, so we'll have to see if someone comes up with a single slot low-profile for that one, too.

http://products.xfxforce.com/en-us/Graphics_Cards/AMD_Radeon%E2%84%A2_R7_250/R7-250A-ZLF4

XFX has low profile R7-240s and 250s, but they both look like they are dual slot. The 240 should be fine with a single slot cooler and a picoPSU; it looks like it's a bit weaker than the HD7750. The 250 looks like it will be about equal to the 7750, so we'll have to see if someone comes up with a single slot low-profile for that one, too.

http://products.xfxforce.com/en-us/Graphics_Cards/AMD_Radeon%E2%84%A2_R7_250/R7-250A-ZLF4

Yeah I've been watching them to see what they come out with. I've just got some of the stuff into the case, with a 1000W PSU sitting off to the side haha. i7-4771 on sale for $244 at Fry's, how could I resist.

As Dr. Weird would say... IT BEGINS!

Also, as a side note blood is really hard to get off of the powdercoat on this thing, I cut the crap out of my finger on.. something and got it everywhere before I realized it.

DSC02931.jpg

That looks awesome!

We need some more info to come down the tubes with the R7's and single slot low profile coolers. It's a shame that they're similar performance to the 7750, I was hoping they'd give a little boost. The XFX R7 250 with that dual slot cooler is sexy but obviously won't fit.

Been messing around with moving the bottom flanges to the back (so the bottom is flush like the top). I'm not sure I like it yet... it would be nice for those who want to lay the case horizontally though.

10215266204_e4627d74ea_b.jpg

So when can I buy a second case from you with the noted changes and with a vented top panel?

@updawg, Saint001, Thanks for your support guys! :) No timeline, or finalized plans yet, but I'm working towards that end. This new concept has set things back. If you have any feedback in the meantime, let me know. Note, the dual slot concept is the exact same size as the L1 case you already have. Fan space is just swapped from top to bottom.

Last edited:
@updawg, Saint001, Thanks for your support guys! :) No timeline, or finalized plans yet, but I'm working towards that end. This new concept has set things back. If you have any feedback in the meantime, let me know. Note, the dual slot concept is the exact same size as the L1 case you already have. Fan space is just swapped from top to bottom.

I have a few ideas, I'll try and make a list of them and shoot them to you and see what you like. Working in/on/around this case is pretty fun but I'm saving the good pics until I'm sure things are working the way I want.

Well, I can confirm a 160XT with the 192W brick will run an i7-4771, HD 7750, one SSD and a 1TB 7200RPM 2.5" HDD, along with two 80mm fans. Played Skyrim for 45 minutes no sweat. I ended up having to remove a fan due to the picopsu orientation but I have plans for that.

Here is how it sits now. More parts coming soon.

DSC02937.jpg

Well, I can confirm a 160XT with the 192W brick will run an i7-4771, HD 7750, one SSD and a 1TB 7200RPM 2.5" HDD, along with two 80mm fans. Played Skyrim for 45 minutes no sweat. I ended up having to remove a fan due to the picopsu orientation but I have plans for that.

Here is how it sits now. More parts coming soon.

Sweet! Glad the PicoPSU is powerful enough for you. Look forward to seeing more. I always thought some of these 80x15 mm fans would be nice for situations like these: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...Silent_PWM_Fan_-_2500_RPM.html?tl=g36c365s984

Not sure I'd recommend, but with some work my PicoPSU wires are about as compact as the locking tab on the PicoPSU 24 pin connector. :)

Made some changes until I have time to fix the PicoPSU how I want it.

WP_20131020_007.jpg

WP_20131020_009.jpg

WP_20131020_008.jpg

WP_20131020_006.jpg

WP_20131020_011.jpg

Back