Any interest in PicoPSU based Mini-ITX case?

The thing is, I plan to do moderate overclocking on a 4670k. I wanted to use the 140mm raijintek pallas low profile cooler (68mm total height). It fits perfectly in your case, but without vented side panel, it will have about 3mm of space and it won't cool properly. I doubt I'll be able to overclock my 4670k with a closed panel and a Scythe Big Shuriken 2. I would need a benchmark or something!

As for putting a bigger ventilated surface, I'm sure that another pattern would keep the panel solid and not warp (dots, smaller rectangle holes, mesh grill, etc).

I don't really know how it works and how much it would cost to contact a company to have a custom panel made, and that means I would have to repaint it after the holes are made. Is there a way I can order a custom one from you (higher cost of course)?

The thing is, I plan to do moderate overclocking on a 4670k. I wanted to use the 140mm raijintek pallas low profile cooler (68mm total height). It fits perfectly in your case, but without vented side panel, it will have about 3mm of space and it won't cool properly. I doubt I'll be able to overclock my 4670k with a closed panel and a Scythe Big Shuriken 2. I would need a benchmark or something!

As for putting a bigger ventilated surface, I'm sure that another pattern would keep the panel solid and not warp (dots, smaller rectangle holes, mesh grill, etc).

I don't really know how it works and how much it would cost to contact a company to have a custom panel made, and that means I would have to repaint it after the holes are made. Is there a way I can order a custom one from you (higher cost of course)?

I see your dilemma. I can do a custom side panel, but it may be too expensive? I could probably have five made and split the cost with you or something to make it more affordable. Using smaller holes with decent spacing would help prevent warping as you say, but cost also goes up with more tiny holes (maybe not significantly though).

Acrylic is more affordable, and I can provide CAD files if you want to go that route. Another (cheapest) option is modding a panel yourself.

Adding a larger X inside as you did is a smart way to reinforce the solidity without altering the pattern. I would guess it would be solid enough to have a pretty big surface. Maybe a circle or oval or rounded square with this design would allow a bigger surface without sacrificing too much rigidity? It might not be as good looking tough, I don't know.

Are you using solidworks for 3d modeling?

Last edited:
I don't use SolidWorks, but I wish I did some days.

Below is the large side vent I was looking at for the L2, but shown on an L1. I'd be willing to try something like this. Might have some warping, but might be good enough. Could also increase spacing slightly without it being very noticeable.

https://flic.kr/p/pn4YFK

That looks awesome, there will only be a small portion of the fan blocked. I'd be willing to try one out.

I've requested to have 5 made, and powder coated. Two are already committed. Email me if you'd like one. I don't have pricing currently.

Last edited:
Sent you a email. I was wondering how I could put a dust filter on the side and the bottom, maybe you should put screw holes at the corners like you did on top. Sorry if I sound like a smartass, I'm really just giving ideas to make the case even better than it already is. I have a degree in mechanical engineering so I am kind of interested in improving a design. :)

Sent you a email. I was wondering how I could put a dust filter on the side and the bottom, maybe you should put screw holes at the corners like you did on top. Sorry if I sound like a smartass, I'm really just giving ideas to make the case even better than it already is. I have a degree in mechanical engineering so I am kind of interested in improving a design. :)

Is the filter cut to size yourself?

I have an issue with those side panels. Looks like I'm not going to have them powder coated. Would you like one unfinished, or anodized black?

Why not just use Demciflex filters? They are magnetic, custom size/shape, shipped worldwide, etc.

Is the filter cut to size yourself?

I have an issue with those side panels. Looks like I'm not going to have them powder coated. Would you like one unfinished, or anodized black?
I'm unsure, are you only talking about the side panel and not the entire case? Ideally I would have wanted the same color all around, no matter if it's anodized or power coated.

Why not just use Demciflex filters? They are magnetic, custom size/shape, shipped worldwide, etc.
I don't know, I would prefer to screw it in place and not have to bother with magnets on both side. But I may end up doing this if I don't have the choice.

I'm unsure, are you only talking about the side panel and not the entire case? Ideally I would have wanted the same color all around, no matter if it's anodized or power coated.

Just the side panel (the L1 is already in stock and powder coated). The problem is the minimum charge for powder coating is $150. If I only make five vented side panels, that would make them each cost around $50. It ends up costing me $300, which I may not make back.

Have you considered purchasing an L2? I was planning to make this same style side panel, and then it would be all finished the same.

I have a preference for the L1 because I don't need a gpu. What if you paint them at the same time as the next L2 batch?

Can you make a anodized L1 with the L2 batch? I can wait if that's the matter, you won't lose my order :p I'd rather wait and have a more uniform case.

Can you make a anodized L1 with the L2 batch? I can wait if that's the matter, you won't lose my order :p I'd rather wait and have a more uniform case.

Hey Alxs, since I still have stock of the L1, I'm not sure when I'll be ready to produce more L1 cases. When I am though, I should be able to make that vented panel for you.

Last edited:
Hey Alxs, since I still have stock of the L1, I'm not sure when I'll be ready to produce more L1 cases. When I am though, I should be able to make that vented panel for you.
Ok, will use my old cheapo case for the time being :(

For those who may be interested in doing some modding of the L1, I have a few spare blemished main body parts. If you'd like one, email me. Price is $10 CAD plus shipping.

For those who may be interested in doing some modding of the L1, I have a few spare blemished main body parts. If you'd like one, email me. Price is $10 CAD plus shipping.

Hmm.... Bolt 2 units together... Fit a SFX power supply on one side and a 3.5" hard drive. Hmm.... Make side panels out of stained walnut.... Hmm...

No floor panels available?

Any ETA for next batch? A month maybe? I'm debating if I should return my other itx case.

After transferring the guts of my L1 to my L2, I've been thinking of doing something very lightweight with the L1. So present build list;

Mobo: Asrock Q2900-ITX
RAM: G SKill SO-DIMM 2x4GB 1333
SSD: Samsung 128GB(actually swapped out from L2, package has a 256GB)
Wifi:Intel PCIE x1 slot card
PSU: Toshiba 30W 19V Brick + HD PLEX 150W(had it lying around way overkill)

Decided to go with Centrino wifi card over mini pcie version as the card has antenna connectors built-in. Ordered one of these for mini-pcie slot

http://www.mfactors.com/products/MR15-252d-Dual-Micro-SD-Cards-to-Mini-PCIe-adapter.html

WP_20141011_002_zps6f412bdd.jpg

PSU sanity check
WP_20141011_010_zpsa07b5c01.jpg

Nearly ready for the first boot
WP_20141011_011_zps1594b139.jpg

Linux Mint, probably the easiest, fastest boot up of a new OS I think I ever had, found wifi and all hardware without any help, typing this in from the new build which runs very snappy on Linux. Heatsink and brick barely warm to the touch.

EDIT: At the wall power, idel 12.75W, running a DVD ~22W, so 30W adapter brick should be fine.
WP_20141014_001_zps17811d84.jpg

Actually using HDMI for video now, but this was for initial boot
WP_20141012_038_zpsa2610910.jpg

WP_20141012_040_zps423e5535.jpg

Last edited:
so I received my l1 case today yay!
But then I went to unscrew it and was like noo I dont have the right hex screwdriver, so what exact size hex screwdriver do I need to buy?

2 mm. Have to make a note to include something if I ever produce more cases, or switch back to phillips head screws. :)

Stevo_, I like it! :)

Thanks, better than a NUC! Damn glad I was able to get both versions of your case when I did.

Using a ridiculously small brick on this, could actually mount it inside if needed. Experimented with the micro SD cards and burned Linux Mint on one of them, SSD is ~14sec to login screen SD is ~23sec, not too bad.

WP_20141023_010_zpsb9af9db1.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, sorry if this has been asked before, but when is the next batch going to be up for sale?

I spoke with James and he told me that he might not make more cases and that he was really busy these days. He did not have any case left but he was kind enough to send me a unit he was using at home. Thanks! I was really impressed with the quality of this case, so simple but so well made. Here is my super setup :)

cpu - i5 4670k
cpu cooler - raijintek pallas
board - asus z97i-plus
case - L1
ram - 2x8gb kinston hyperx 1600mhz
psu - 160w picopsu from minibox with 192w converter
fans - 2x 80mm noctua NF-R8-PWM
ssd - Plextor m6e 128gb m.2

Note that there is no gpu, I am using this as a gaming server so I don't need one. Here are some pictures

So small! plextor m.2
IMG_20141117_234421.jpg

Installed under the board
IMG_20141117_235755.jpg

Cable management!
IMG_20141119_130852.jpg

Very big cooler
IMG_20141119_133105.jpg

Extremely tight fit with ram and psu
IMG_20141119_133137.jpg

Tight fit again! Like this cooler was made for this case :)
IMG_20141119_141151.jpg

IMG_20141119_141201.jpg

IMG_20141119_141454.jpg

IMG_20141119_141315.jpg

Next thing to do is modify the side panel to make a good airflow for my cpu cool.

Last edited:
Nice build! Yeah these cases are stout, makes them quiet too. Feels like you could run over it with your car and not bang it up too much.

I spoke with James and he told me that he might not make more cases and that he was really busy these days. He did not have any case left but he was kind enough to send my a unit he was using at home. Thanks! I was really impressed with the quality of this case, so simple but so well made. Here is my super setup :)

cpu - i5 4670k
board - asus z97i-plus
case - L1

Note that there is no gpu, I am using this as a gaming server so I don't need one. Here are some pictures

So small! plextor m.2
IMG_20141117_234421.jpg

Installed under the board
IMG_20141117_235755.jpg

Cable management!
IMG_20141119_130852.jpg

Very big cooler
IMG_20141119_133105.jpg

Extremely tight fit with ram and psu
IMG_20141119_133137.jpg

Tight fit again! Like this cooler was made for this case :)
IMG_20141119_141151.jpg

IMG_20141119_141201.jpg

IMG_20141119_141454.jpg

IMG_20141119_141315.jpg

Next thing to do is modify the side panel to make a good airflow for my cpu cool.

You were able to power all this with just a 192w brick?

I'm running a i5 4590, and can't seem to get it working properly I got a HD plex 250 and ordered a HD plex 160 tried both with my Dell 240w brick...both won't give power to motherboards USB and I can't figure out why only two things I can think of right now.

1. my motherboard (MSI z97i AC) isn't compatible with the HD plex units for some strange reason

2. my power brick is broken and isn't giving me enough power but it powers the machine and graphics card right into windows no problem just USB on motherboard isn't working...some really strange stuff I can't figure out at all.

Sounds like a power brick issue to me.. that is the common denominator in your problem.

I power an i7 4770s, 8GB ram, SSD, 750ti gpu with a 160XT and a 192W powerbrick with no problems whatsoever.

Sounds like a power brick issue to me.. that is the common denominator in your problem.

I power an i7 4770s, 8GB ram, SSD, 750ti gpu with a 160XT and a 192W powerbrick with no problems whatsoever.

Thanks, I'm thinking about buying a new dell 240W or 330W brick but they are pretty pricey, I don't wanna waste more money for the chance that it could be motherboard incompatibility instead. Those bricks are close to the same price as a new motherboard lol...

Do you know if a 120W brick can power up:

i5 4590
MSI Z97i AC mobo + 1 ssd 16gig ram

I'll be adding a 750ti into this setup if i find out that the 240 is faulty but for testing without GPU 120w is enough? I can get a HP 120W brick for $20 to test out to determine if my 240W brick is faulty

Sucks you're still having problems, that brick should be good to at least power up your setup and then some unless something is wrong. Are you able to boot at all? BIOS?

My 330W brick + HD Plex 160W from the wall showed ~37W at idle powering an i7 3770K + 750Ti + 16GB RAM + 2 SSD, 167W from the wall under Prime95 + Kombustor. GPU thermal throttles at 60W, so probably 135ish watts at the mobo under load. Without GPU you should be fine.

Only other things I can think of if not done already; 1) BIOS latest one for Haswell refresh, seen reports of mobos not completely working with these without uptdate. 2) Latest version of chipset drivers for same reason, 3) BIOS USB settings all gone thru for correctness, power modes etc.

Last edited:
Sucks you're still having problems, that brick should be good to at least power up your setup and then some unless something is wrong. Are you able to boot at all? BIOS?

My 330W brick + HD Plex 160W from the wall showed ~37W at idle powering an i7 3770K + 750Ti + 16GB RAM + 2 SSD, 167W from the wall under Prime95 + Kombustor. GPU thermal throttles at 60W, so probably 135ish watts at the mobo under load. Without GPU you should be fine.

Only other things I can think of if not done already; 1) BIOS latest one for Haswell refresh, seen reports of mobos not completely working with these without uptdate. 2) Latest version of chipset drivers for same reason, 3) BIOS USB settings all gone thru for correctness, power modes etc.

yea I'm able to boot into bios even into windows just no usb power lol, I've gone and check those, bios and drivers all up to date usb settings are default, i think its ether the 240W brick i have or the motherboard not compatible. I think i will just test out a 120w brick before i jump to conclusion that the 240 brick is faulty

Don't forget that getting a bigger brick than your psu is useless, the smallest of the two will limit the wattage. You should not have problems powering your computer, and I would be surprised if the usb problem was related to the wattage of you psu/brick.

Last edited:
Any chance you could locate an old/free ATX PSU to try out? That would allow you to eliminate the motherboard/software as being the cause.

I spoke with James and he told me that he might not make more cases and that he was really busy these days. He did not have any case left but he was kind enough to send my a unit he was using at home. Thanks! I was really impressed with the quality of this case, so simple but so well made. Here is my super setup :)

cpu - i5 4670k
board - asus z97i-plus
case - L1

Nice work! Glad you like it. :)

Back