Any interest in PicoPSU based Mini-ITX case?

Tiny fan on these flex ATX PSU's = noise :(
I have gone through several flex ATX PSUs and they were all absolutely awful. Even with a resistor on the wire. Only one that wasn't bad was the one that I made another case for with aftermarket fans on it.

While I'm sure there are some acceptable ones out there I'd imagine it being a gamble. Anyone know the OEM/model of the one in the Evga Hadron?

Anyone know the OEM/model of the one in the Evga Hadron?

Its an FSP 1U server rack psu that also guarantees to scream under heavy load. Not available for retail tho.

But if you are looking for that form factor I offered this guy 30 bucks and he accepted.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
In the L2 I would use the flow of the closest 80mm fan instead of the built in flexatx fan if I would choose to skip pico psu.Maybe even perforate the psu side with a bit more holes for airflow.

This is interesting as almost everyone has the same view of the possibilities with the case except when it comes to power.
CPU: S or T version of intel cpu OR AMD kaveri
GPU: GTX 750/750Ti when the LP versions is released OR something for kaveri to dual graphic with.
RAM: low profile to fit
Mobo: whatever you like that can take the cooler of choice
SSD: mSata/m.2 or 1x2,5"

90% of the future builts maybe?

Any thoughts on me using hex/allen drive type instead of phillips for fasteners?

For the M3 flat head fasteners I'm using, Hex/Allen is more common in black, whereas Phillips is less common in black. On the other hand, everyone is likely used to phillips fasteners with computer cases. Not sure if it matters much, or if people will revolt at the site of a hex/allen fastener? :)

I'm good with either

Any thoughts on me using hex/allen drive type instead of phillips for fasteners?

For the M3 flat head fasteners I'm using, Hex/Allen is more common in black, whereas Phillips is less common in black. On the other hand, everyone is likely used to phillips fasteners with computer cases. Not sure if it matters much, or if people will revolt at the site of a hex/allen fastener? :)

I don't have any strong preferences regarding fasteners too.

Allen are cool looking imo, and less likely to strip. So long as you get the round head version and not the ones that stick out like like little castles

Like this
button-head-bolt-250x250.jpg

not this
allen_bolt-250x250-250x250.jpg

Allen are cool looking imo, and less likely to strip. So long as you get the round head version and not the ones that stick out like like little castles

Thanks. They'll actually flat head screws, due to the countersunk holes. Someone could flip the side panels around and use button head style if they wanted though.

Thanks. They'll actually flat head screws, due to the countersunk holes. Someone could flip the side panels around and use button head style if they wanted though.

Even better. Are you going ahead with these cases? If so what iterations have you decided on?

Here's a size comparison between the L2 concept (left), and L1 (right), excluding case feet. :)

Last edited:
Looking nice, my guess is the size difference wouldn't be easily noticeable unless it's sitting right next to the L1.

Yesssssssssss

I was worried it would be a lot bigger but this is still a nice size. cant wait to see more!

Looking nice, my guess is the size difference wouldn't be easily noticeable unless it's sitting right next to the L1.

I agree, you're probably right.

Yesssssssssss

I was worried it would be a lot bigger but this is still a nice size. cant wait to see more!

You and me both. I'm still a little worried to be honest.

How many people want something to use in a horizontal position?

I didn't know this was designed for vertical use. I plan on using this as a htpc and a vertical orientation would not fit in my entertainment unit.

I didn't know this was designed for vertical use. I plan on using this as a htpc and a vertical orientation would not fit in my entertainment unit.

You own an L1 right? So it must be okay then. I think I'm a little OCD. ;)

Last edited:
Do you mind how the L1 is designed to be vertical, with the flanges on the bottom?

I'm tempted to design something specific for use horizontally...

The flanges don't bother me, I'm not sure you need something specifically for those who use it horizontally. But it's your design :D and I'd be excited to see any ideas you have.

The only thing that I would think of being better horizontically is moving the fans to the other side.
Then the graphics card gets fresh air (I only run passive cards) which the cpu cooler can push out the top of the case.

Subtle, but I like the look of the hex screws better. Sort of like the wood background shots better on your webpage as it gives a look like it's on desk, but I'd take shots that show all 4 sides at a minimum no matter what the background.

BTW, ordered my L1 the other night when they first appeared, got everything ready to go and can't wait!

Are those screws already part of L1 2014?

Yes, unless people start telling me they hate them. ;) I assemble and package each case myself.

Subtle, but I like the look of the hex screws better. Sort of like the wood background shots better on your webpage as it gives a look like it's on desk, but I'd take shots that show all 4 sides at a minimum no matter what the background.

BTW, ordered my L1 the other night when they first appeared, got everything ready to go and can't wait!

Glad you liked the wood desk background. They were really dark photos unfortunately. I'm liking the hex screws also. They fit the countersink a little better than the phillips screws. I'll try to get some more angles (EDIT: Added a couple more angles to my website).

I am hoping to ship your case today! (EDIT: Shipped)

Last edited:
I really like the new photos (and the new screws)! I found it difficult to judge just how small the case really is from the original photos but these give a better sense of scale.

Thought I should make it known that the Galaxy 750 ti LP just released. Just ordered one myself in wait of the prospective L2.

Galaxy Link

Thought I should make it known that the Galaxy 750 ti LP just released. Just ordered one myself in wait of the prospective L2.

Galaxy Link

Its looks like a sweet little card. Hopefully Zotac and others will follow suit.

Unfortunately Galaxy isn't in North America anymore.

Send some to the states :D

Last edited:
Its looks like a sweet little card. Hopefully Zotac and others will follow suit.

Unfortunately Galaxy isn't in North America anymore.

Send some to the states :D

That is just for a retail presence. I bought one through their web store with no issues at all.

That is just for a retail presence. I bought one through their web store with no issues at all.

Apologies you're totally right! Just ordered one myself!

Lone, lets see some L2's and I'll be happy as a clam. :D

Back