Any info on new chipsets for AM4 Zen?

Discussion in 'AMD MoBos' started by Shadohh, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Shadohh

Shadohh Gawd

Does anyone have any info on the chipsets for ZEN?

I am mostly curious if they will offer TRIM thru Raid like Intel chipsets offer.

2. Shadohh

Shadohh Gawd

I suppose if the A68H supports it then all new chipsets will.

"As usual, AMD’s budget chipsets support RAID (can’t say the same for Intel) and the A68H has new firmware for the SATA ports to allow for TRIM commands to be passed through to a RAID 0 array of SSDs. It may be possible that the same firmware improvement will make its way into the A78 and A88X chipsets later in the year."

3. JoseJones

JoseJones Limp Gawd

4. noko

noko [H]ard|Gawd

This makes it ripe for HardOCP to explore and folks to flock to HardOCP for information. Actually if AMD was smart, they would allow reviewers to bring to light all the features and capabilities of AMD new chipsets. You will have hundreds if not thousands of voices proclaiming AMD chipsets, tests and motherboard examples. Of course AMD will blow it by having infinite number of red to black pretty slides to ad nausea with no connection to anything on their site inducing the inevitable snore.

AMD could make it fun in that information is shared with reviewers (anyone truly interested and competent) only and let it get broadcasted that way. Then you would have conflict of information between the different sites that would need to be ironed but the good part is that more discussion, mind share etc. would be talking about AMD and not anyone else. AMD needs to provide the seeds that farmers can grow and get out of the way of the professionals that really promote merchandise - US and sites like HardOCP, AndAnTech etc.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    Ocellaris and Kyle_Bennett like this.
  5. MRFSYS

MRFSYS [H]Lite

Kyle and company already know my distinct bias, and I'll repeat that my emphasis for many years has been storage acceleration.

With that bias stated up front and out in the open, please allow me to repeat a suggestion that I recently forwarded directly to Dr. Lisa Su, AMD's CEO:

(1) future AM4 chipsets should support all modern RAID modes on a minimum of 4 x U.2 ports; and,

(2) as long as (1) is not available any time soon, then OEM Highpoint's RocketRAID model 3840A NVMe RAID controller.

There is a very elegant symmetry that obtains with an x16 edge connector:

4 x NVMe SSDs @ x4 PCIe 3.0 lanes = x16 PCIe 3.0 lanes

And this symmetry doubles when PCIe 4.0 oscillates at 16 GHz per x1 lane.

Here's the mathematical justification, using PCIe 3.0 specs:

1 x NVMe PCIe 3.0 lane = 8 GHz / 8.125 bits per byte = 984.6 MB/second
    4 x NVMe PCIe 3.0 lanes = 4 x 984.6 = 3,938.4 MB/second
    4 x NVMe SSD in RAID-0 = 4 x 3,938.4 = 15,753.6 MB/second (MAX HEADROOM)

Of course, these numbers are maxima that do not include any controller overheads.
    Nevertheless, these numbers do show that a RAID-0 array of 4 x NVMe SSDs
    has the potential to surpass the raw bandwidth of DDR3-1600 DRAM x 8 = 12,800 MB/second.

As long as Intel's DMI 3.0 link is limited to x4 PCIe 3.0 lanes,
    that link will impose a strict upper limit on upstream bandwidth:
    any storage devices that are connected downstream of that link
    will be unable to exceed that maximum, even if they are members
    of a RAID array. This observation has already been confirmed
    experimentally several times e.g. with motherboards that
    support 3 x M.2 ports.

6. c3k

c3k Gawd

It would be interesting if motherboards could support the full speed capabilities of NVMe SSDs. I like your thinking and I hope it's doable by AMD.

7. MotionBlur

MotionBlur [H]ard|Gawd

I guess the "leak" of AM4 APU cpu and boards this week isn't coming true.

8. craz0

craz0 Limp Gawd

I just want to know if they are doing a ITX board

9. OmenemO

OmenemO [H]Lite

Same, anything from the AMD camp needs to fit in my pending Dancase for it to be of interest to me.