Any improvement on the black side for the past 5 years?

I find Rtings confusing on their ratings, as well. They're generally really perplexing in monitor reviews. They can take two displays with similar local dimming systems and panels and rate one a 2.0 and the other a 7.5.

I don't know if they go back and rework the numbers on their older reviews but in just a few years local dimming has gone from a couple of zones to hundreds on the higher end model so the scale has changed a lot.

I find Rtings confusing on their ratings, as well. They're generally really perplexing in monitor reviews. They can take two displays with similar local dimming systems and panels and rate one a 2.0 and the other a 7.5.

Can you show an example?

I had been away from a screen for almost two months this summer and since I came back I couldn't stand my IPS monitor anymore, and had been looking to change ever since.
and then ... yesterday I realized... that for an unknown reason my NVIDIA drivers were not outputting a full RGB range but a reduced 16-235 .
Now beside feeling stupid but I also feel a vast improvement in the black. ....

I had been away from a screen for almost two months this summer and since I came back I couldn't stand my IPS monitor anymore, and had been looking to change ever since.
and then ... yesterday I realized... that for an unknown reason my NVIDIA drivers were not outputting a full RGB range but a reduced 16-235 .
We've all done it 😁

Sometimes I get paranoid that my IPS monitor is not showing RGB 0 for black after a session with the OLED TV and I monkey with the settings to convince myself that’s actually black :)

Sometimes I get paranoid that my IPS monitor is not showing RGB 0 for black after a session with the OLED TV and I monkey with the settings to convince myself that’s actually black :)
Heh. I can see myself doing that once I get an oled.

Just a follow up. I ended up getting a PVA philips 346B1C.
the good
=> there is a noticeable black level difference with my Dells IPS 2414H and UP2516, this is nice.
=> for my workflow (art book editing) I dis not feel the Philips was inappropriate.
=> I really like the body sensor, that switch dim then switch of the back light when no one is sitting in front of the monitor (it keep the USB running)
the not so good
=> if not in front of the monitor hell break lose( bleed, color shift, on the other hand, I usualy sit in front of the monitor while using it)

Conclusion,
For me if used as intended I prefer this MVA to my IPS, especially at night.
we are still far from OLED as expected, on the other hand my OLED experience on computer (laptop panel) is that they impossible to calibrate (i could not),

That's what I've long suspected, that MANY people are running in Limited mode without even knowing it!

With my screens I have to explicitly set Full RGB every time I reboot my computer. I use Linux, and this requires a command line.

Full RGB makes a huge difference especially on my matte screen. The low haze screen looks good even in Limited mode.

That's what I've long suspected, that MANY people are running in Limited mode without even knowing it!

With my screens I have to explicitly set Full RGB every time I reboot my computer. I use Linux, and this requires a command line.

Full RGB makes a huge difference especially on my matte screen. The low haze screen looks good even in Limited mode.
You... What?

Perhaps there's an errant monitor setting involved.

Just checked W10 20.04, Manjaro, and Fedora 32.

I have to type:
xrandr --output HDMI-2 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Full"
xrandr --output HDMI-1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Full"

That puts both my displays into Full mode. Rebooting puts them back into Limited mode. I wonder how many are in Limited mode without knowing it, and then complaining about washed out looking screens.

Back