Any ideas why YouTube sounds much louder in Firefox vs. Chrome?

mathesar

[H]ard|Gawd
It's not just general volume differences either, the bass output in Firefox is also at least 3x stronger, I tried asking on Google's own forums but didn't get much help other than clear cookies and try using Incognito & Private mode to eliminate any possible plugin issues (Didn't make any difference).

Running the latest version of both browsers and the YouTube volume slider is maxed in both when comparing (of course) along with same video quality selected.

This is a good example here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ib86ZmUBOY The kick drum is a lot more pronounced in Firefox.

Maybe someone else could try it in both browsers?

It probably helps if you have a subwoofer but headphone would work too.

Any ideas appreciated, running Win 7 (specs in signature are current).

Last edited:
I think they use different versions of Adobe flash since they have different plugin wrappers.

Or are these HTML5 players? In which case the back-end audio software could be different for each browser.

I think they use different versions of Adobe flash since they have different plugin wrappers.

Or are these HTML5 players? In which case the back-end audio software could be different for each browser.

Forgot to mention Chrome is using HTML5 by default with YouTube and Firefox uses Adobe Flash.

EDIT: Forcing Chrome to use Flash does make the volume louder but still a ways off from the way it sounds in Firefox, I guess I'm just dealing with internal differences between the browsers, I also tried YouTube in Internet Explorer and the volume is exactly the same as Firefox.

Last edited:
Back