Any ideas why memtest fails to run?

defaultluser

[H]F Junkie
System: Win 7 64, 2500k, Intel DP67BA, 2x2GB 1333.

So, I recently had a few BSODs that pointed me in the direction of possibly bad RAM (through google search). I downloaded the latest UBCD to run memtest/memtest+, and neither program works on my system. Here is what I see:

memtest: restarts the computer immediately after launching.
memtest+: runs for a half second before it hangs.

I verified the MD5 sum of the download, and just for kicks I tried an old memtest 3.5 CD I had lying around (it did the same thing as 3.6).

I was able to finally test my RAM using Windows Memory Diagnostic. I ran it with both sticks individually and then with both installed, under EXTENDED test and had no errors encountered.

So, I'm at a bit of an impasse here. I'm pretty sure the error is not memory, and I just need a reinstall of Windows. But at the same time I am concerned that memtest will not load. I've never encountered that sort of thing on any system I've owned in the last 6 years.

See what happens when you use Memtest86+ 4.20.

Also, moved to the correct subforum.

See what happens when you use Memtest86+ 4.20.

Also, moved to the correct subforum.

That's it. I just got it to boot and run, and so far no crashes :)

I remember looking at the memtest+ website to make sure they had support for Sandy Bridge, but then I just assumed that UBCD would have included it by now. I mean, the release is five months old at this point...lazy bastards :D

EDIT: Danny, you might want to remove UBCD from the troubleshooting FAQ (or make it clear that software is typically older), especially since you have direct links already to all the important tools. This probably would not have been a problem if I didn't get distracted first by the big UBCD link at the top of the FAQ.

Last edited:
EDIT: Danny, you might want to remove UBCD from the troubleshooting FAQ (or make it clear that software is typically older), especially since you have direct links already to all the important tools. This probably would not have been a problem if I didn't get distracted first by the big UBCD link at the top of the FAQ.
Change made.

Back