Any ideas on how to replicate a Mac text selection feature on Windows?

skadebo

[H]ard|Gawd
On a mac, you can quickly select text in the following way:

Click somewhere in the middle of a sentence to place the cursor, and then drag the mouse up or down to select all text before or after where you initially placed the cursor.

I know this is somewhat replicated in windows by placing the cursor and then hitting Shift-End / Home but I'm wondering if there's something that would allow me to emulate the Mac feature.

^ that

I'm not sure how click and drag is different from what you're describing on OS X.

edit: There could be some abnormal behavior in an application which doesn't allow text selection, or web sites which use JS to block select/copy. Is it one of those things you're trying to get around?

Last edited:
Yeah click and drag works, but not exactly the same since you have to drag all the way (1st world problem I know) to the end of the sentence / text. On the mac, I pick where I want to start selecting, then drag the mouse below the text to highlight everything to the end of the text or drag above to select everything before (doing this right now in this thread does select all the text but then adds a ton of space or starts copying images/columns as well). This kind of works in windows with text on a page but this is universal on the mac and so it's useful when I want to get to the homepage of a website by snipping the URL in an address bar.

oh well, no biggie it's a really minor thing.

It works as you describe for me. But if you're having trouble, have you tried click shift click?

On the mac, I pick where I want to start selecting, then drag the mouse below the text to highlight everything to the end of the text or drag above to select everything before
It works that way for me on Windows...

I'm on Windows 8, the address bar in Chrome nor IE exhibits the behavior I'm describing.

Yeah, I see what you're saying on the address bar. Did not know I could do that on Mac... not sure if it'll come in handy, either :p

Yeah click and drag works, but not exactly the same since you have to drag all the way (1st world problem I know) to the end of the sentence / text. On the mac, I pick where I want to start selecting, then drag the mouse below the text to highlight everything to the end of the text or drag above to select everything before (doing this right now in this thread does select all the text but then adds a ton of space or starts copying images/columns as well). This kind of works in windows with text on a page but this is universal on the mac and so it's useful when I want to get to the homepage of a website by snipping the URL in an address bar.

oh well, no biggie it's a really minor thing.

I just did this to the text to make it BOLD and colorful... :D

Back