any idea why my hit count varies so much?

mdude85

Limp Gawd
I run a small personal website that tends to get an average of about 20 hits per day. Lately though, the hits to my site (both in hits, visitors, and returns) has been very sporadic. For instance on Monday, I might have 45 visitors to my site, then on tuesday, I will have 0 or 1 visitors, and then on Wednesday I might have 19, then Thursday, maybe 3, and so on ....

Does anyone have any experience with this? This is a website that I update with new content about once every 5 days.

Do you know if your hit counter is filtering out robots (e.g. Google's crawler)? Robots could easily account for that. Without more information about how your counter tallies hits, it's hard to draw reliable conclusions.

Is the counter incremented once per session? Once per IP per day? Is it on every page or just the main page? What kinds of UAs does it filter?

I've noticed when acitvity jumps around its usually because people are talking about your site. Get a log analyzer to analyze your logs and find out who is referring to your sites on that day, chances are someone is either direct linking your images or talking about your site.

I'm pretty certain my counter does not bot/crawler hits. I run a counter service from Statcounter.com. (www.statcounter.com). I believe technically the counter is on one page, and it does record hits from subpages but I don't think it tallies them in the main hit count, only for the purposes of showing me statistics. Not sure about the UAs.

Back