Any idea when 512MB cards will be out?

krizzle

Gawd
Looking to get a 512mb after I cancelled my order for the X800XT-PE... Too long of shipment, need it before Aug. 9th.
*PLEASE DON'T TURN THIS INTO A BUY NVIDIA THREAD LIKE THE LAST ONE!*

I'm thinking, since I'll be waiting now, how much time is it gonna be before there's 512mb vid cards out? esspecially the flagships from both ATi and nVidia?
I want it all for DOOMIII, and how they said that in order to run it without compression you will need more than 256mb of vid memory. Crazy, huh?

Yargh...

since everything is in short supply now (gddr3 especially) I would say around 1 year from now. 512mb is just not needed (even the creator from doom3 said it wouldnt help much)

JKA Represent said:
since everything is in short supply now (gddr3 especially) I would say around 1 year from now. 512mb is just not needed (even the creator from doom3 said it wouldnt help much)
Shens, you _need_ 512 to run Doom3 @ the highest quality.

glad to see a non-imposing reply from you. So, what shoud I do, go for nVidia? I NEED A GOOD CARD before August 9th. I was hoping for X800-XT-PE because I could cool it better with my waterblock
I am afraid my waterblock won't help as much on a 6800.

buy the 6800GT/U for a few reasons (this is purely for doom 3 mind you):

will use ultrashadow 2
SM3.0
better performance being OGL

krizzle said:
what do you think?
Plus, are the ultra and GT physically identical except for cooling, meaning, could I mod a GT to an ULTRA or should I just buy an ultra?

well the gt is an underclocked ultra with 2.0ns memory but can reach ultra speeds saving you a $100+. but the ultra can overclock very well too and it may be worth the investment. it depends how much your willing to spend

what about the watercooling? I am really unsure if it will be a $50 worth improvement to a 6800 ultra...
I know it would help an X800XT though...

Pure speculation.. but I don't think it's gonna be a year before we see 512 onboard. I suspect 4th Quarter pci-xpress cards will offer this, not that everyone needs it though.

Yargh, q4 is way too far away... looks like I have to switch to nVidia... PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME about their experience with watercooling a 6800, if it helped more than stock cooling.

JKA Represent said:
no body is needs 512mb video card memory. 1 year minimum.
No body needs you to tell them what they need. Please, don't repeat last thread's episode and just don't post here. Thank you.

because I order comp parts in the states, and I have to go back to russia august 9th. I have to get a card in my window of opportunity while i'm in the states... July 26th - August 9th. It would really suck if I came back to russia with all that I ordered (see sig) and still roll with a GF3.

krizzle i think the 512MB cards will not start appearing until around the end of this year...perhaps a little later but not much. This is just speculation mind...

I dont think it will be a year...thats enough time for another generation if not 2 to have come out...the next gen i am sure will have 512MB onboard cards....

well, at nVidia's announcement of the GeForce 6 series, they had the 512 poster... which leads me to believe it won't be too long.
Plus we are already beginning to need more memory, with DoomIII and HL2 and stalker.

I still don't know if it's worth getting a 6800U for the same price as an X800 XT-PE... I mean, even the BFG OC 6800 wasn't matching the performance of the X800 XT-PE..
[H]ard's quotes from the 6800uOC review
Far cry
The ATI Radeon X800XT performed the best in FarCry by having playable performance at 1600x1200 with 2XAA and 8XAF.
BF:V
The BFG 6800Ultra OC was slightly faster in the numbers, but not noticeably faster in the game. With the X800XT-PE we could run all the way up at 1600x1200 with 4XAA and 16XAF and still get very playable performance.
SC:pandTom
The X800XT-PE however is able to run at 1600x1200 with 8XAF and perform faster overall at the higher resolution.
Painkiller
With the Radeon X800XT-PE though we found 1600x1200 with 2XAA and 8XAF to be the best setting, and maintained performance on par with the BFG GeForce 6800Ultra at this setting.
So the X800XT does at 1600x1200 what the 6800uOC did at 1280x1024...

I still don't understand why nVidia fans are trying to cram 6800's into ATi fan's throats, namely JKA_Represent, when nVidia only wins in MS Flight Sim so far.

it's because the 6800GT is remarkably cheap for something that has more or less same performance as X800pro at stock speeds and DX games with a noticable increase in performance in OGL games. it also offers Ultra speeds (or higher), which again the X800XTPE is comparable to (6800Ultra). plus it offers SM3.0 and UltraShadow2

Have you considered posting a WTB in the FS/FT thread. You obviously have some money to spend and its obvious that a few lucky souls have X800XT-PE and post on this site. Perhaps you could convince one of them to part with their card until August 9th (not like they will be using it on Doom3 before then anyway) and thus you get yours and they can get themselves one in a few weeks. Its probably a long shot, but its a shot right.

Thank you for the idea, but I doubt it will work. Looks like I'm just stuck with a GeForce 3 for DOOM3 launch. Isn't it cool how Doom3 was being developed on GeForce3 in its infancy!? I think it is. Anyway, I am not gonna go 6800U when i have, for the same price, the option of X800 XT-PE, since it outperforms the OC'd nVidia cards at stock speeds. Looks like I'll just be waiting. Damnit.

I'm not sure if it will work, but maybe you could get 2 6800GT's and run them in SLI when that comes out. It seems like that will be the first available method of getting 512 MB. I think that would work. anyone else have any thoughts about that?

tornadotsunamilife said:
it's because the 6800GT is remarkably cheap for something that has more or less same performance as X800pro at stock speeds and DX games with a noticable increase in performance in OGL games. it also offers Ultra speeds (or higher), which again the X800XTPE is comparable to (6800Ultra). plus it offers SM3.0 and UltraShadow2
GT's are just as unnatainable for August 9th as X800XT's are... what a goddamn pity. I can't believe that they are ALL SOLD OUT nowadays. Really bytes.

krizzle said:
Thank you for the idea, but I doubt it will work. Looks like I'm just stuck with a GeForce 3 for DOOM3 launch. Isn't it cool how Doom3 was being developed on GeForce3 in its infancy!? I think it is. Anyway, I am not gonna go 6800U when i have, for the same price, the option of X800 XT-PE, since it outperforms the OC'd nVidia cards at stock speeds. Looks like I'll just be waiting. Damnit.

well it's your money but i really think you should go 6800gt for the reasons i said earlier

shtfk said:
I'm not sure if it will work, but maybe you could get 2 6800GT's and run them in SLI when that comes out. It seems like that will be the first available method of getting 512 MB. I think that would work. anyone else have any thoughts about that?
LOL no buddy, I already ordered my ATHLON 754 pin... no 2 PCI-E slots available...
+ I would never spend $1300 on graphics card alone, rather invest in a better CPU to last longer.
Graphics chips are way too expendable for that kind of money.

tornadotsunamilife said:
well it's your money but i really think you should go 6800gt for the reasons i said earlier
I might if they were available, and they aren't for a reasonable price..

krizzle said:
GT's are just as unnatainable for August 9th as X800XT's are... what a goddamn pity. I can't believe that they are ALL SOLD OUT nowadays. Really bytes.

How are they (GT's) unattainable? Even CompUSA has been in stock. Now. I've bought no less then 3 in the past 3 weeks.....and at more then reasonable prices.

lol, I figured if you were looking to buy a 512 mb card right when it came out that you weren't worried about the cost.

Just to be a smart @$$ 512 mb cards have been out for awhile.Goto 3dlabs.com and check out there wildcat vp990 Pro . :D

krizzle said:

There are still some sources open for 6800GT cards. For instance CompUSA is still showing stock on PNY Vertio 6800GT So there are still some sources of cards out there.

6800gt's are everywhere, and offer the best bang for your buck, doom3 is supposed to run better on nvidia hardware since it's opengl. Get whatever card that you like, but the 6800gt is on par with the x800pro, overclocked it's almost on par with the x800xt, and with drivers and SM3.0 it could easily gain even more performance gains in future games that are "TWIMTBP" titles.

Mmm... 2 512meg 6800 ultras in SLI!!! That will be the day...

...passes out drowling on keyboard

Will the R420 or NV40 ever be available in a 512MB version?? I keep hearing that the next gen R500 and NV?? will only come in PCI express.

The pdf that accidentally got posted on ATI's website some time ago had information about a 512MB card that would showup in the later part of this year. So I'll assume that it's a pretty good chance that there will be a 512MB version of the X800 series.

krizzle said:
No body needs you to tell them what they need. Please, don't repeat last thread's episode and just don't post here. Thank you.

Doesn't matter what you need, you can't have right now. They designed DOOM 3 to be a game that people play for years, one that when video cards gets better (512 etc etc... which by the way is a long way out) more goodies can been seen in game. Bringing people back to the game.

Your best bet is pick which flagship from ATi or Nvidia you want and go with that. Then in a year, ebay that card and upgrade to 512 if its out. Thats probably the most straight forward answer you'll get.

ny555soul said:
Just to be a smart @$$ 512 mb cards have been out for awhile.Goto 3dlabs.com and check out there wildcat vp990 Pro . :D
Quadro4 generation shit that'll run like crap (if at all) in Doom 3. ;)

Back