Any idea when 512MB cards will be out?

Okay, i've made up my mind, im not going with nVidia this round. Maybe it has better OPENGL support and PS3.0, but I don't need it, as it has much better performance in many other gmaes.

X800 XT-PE for me, if I can get it before august 9th. Chances don't look too good for me
DONT TRY AND CHANGE MY MIND, I am sticking to the X800 no matter what you got with your X6800GT

krizzle said:
Okay, i've made up my mind, im not going with nVidia this round. Maybe it has better OPENGL support and PS3.0, but I don't need it, as it has much better performance in many other gmaes.

X800 XT-PE for me, if I can get it before august 9th. Chances don't look too good for me
DONT TRY AND CHANGE MY MIND, I am sticking to the X800 no matter what you got with your X6800GT

what's a x6800gt? And why would we try to change your mind? If you were asking us which is a better buy, then we may. But if you are dead convinced on having the x800xt then so be it. It's no big deal. Actually, you could probably ask a mod to close this thread so you won't see any more recommendations.

The 6800GT comes very close to the XTPE in many games, not just OpenGL ones, and after O/C'd to Ultra speeds, will even tie the stock XTPE in soime games, all for $150 cheaper, and readily available. Not to mention the advanced pixel and shadow shading technology...

Either card will probably be good for playing Doom 3. But since you have decided to go with the x800XTPE it will just be a matter of finding one and right now they are almost non-existant except that first batch that seemed to ship and some people on here got.

The xtpe is a bad ass card, you will love it. Good luck on finding one. As for 512mb cards, I would guess they are going to be pciexpress only and we should see something around the holiday season.

IMO if your only opportunity to get a new card is in the states, don't be a fool and not buy anything because you WANT the X800XT-PE. The 6800GT would BLOW away your GeForce3, even an X800 Pro would - if you want to game, definitely get SOMETHING new over here.

Yeah, word. Trying my best. If I can't get some site to ship me a card before the 9th, I'll just stop by fry's or best buy or something and buy the best they have. Yargh.

I still say you should at least post a WTB thread. I'm sure some [H] (maybe even one of the mods) would be willing to sell you his rare X800XT-PE for full price and live without for a couple 3 weeks until there is more stock out there. I'm just saying your circumstances are a bit exceptional, perhaps someone will notice that and give you a break. If it were me in your shoes I'd try that route (at least its more proactive than just waiting til Aug 9, and the local Fry's Store) the worst that can happen is you don't get any offers. Just make sure if/when you do get offers that you carefully research their references (Heatware EBAY whatever else), even email people from thier previous deals and get an address and contact phone#. Don't skimp on shipping insurance and require the retail packaging (if I remember they only came out in retail last batch anyway) and you should be just fine. I'd recommend offering the actual original cost of purchasing one from Newegg.com as a pricepoint since they are at most 1 month old and generally, people would be more willing to sell if they didn't need to take any sort of loss on it.

Just my opinion, do what you will.
---John

Thanks, I'll try it... still a bit nervous about getting gypped though... you think you could help me out a little more on verifying whether the seller is valid?
Lotsa people could take advantage of me, since I will leave the country and I won't be able to do anything after they send me a 7500 for my $500...

Anyone who buys a 512MB card today, next month, or even next year, is a total chump.

You would get far more use out of your money handing it away to random strangers on the street. Atleast SOMEONE would get some use out of your money.

well, it woulnt be worthless... it would hold you through DOOM3, HL2, and unreal3 would benifit greatly from it... D3 and HL2 already can take advantage of more than 256mb Vid memory... that's what doom wants to run Ultra quality...

Back