Any idea how much the 3900 not X is going for?

Ranma_Sao

2[H]4U
I just had a PC built for my wife, was going to do a Ryzen 5 for her, and they had a free upgrade to the ryzen 3900 non X for the same price. (Which kinda tells me they must be pretty cheap, and yet I can't find a reseller anywhere)

Yes, I used to buy OEM parts all the time from resellers, and yet, all my usual resellers of OEM don't seem to be stocking them. :p

Yes, I used to buy OEM parts all the time from resellers, and yet, all my usual resellers of OEM don't seem to be stocking them. :p

There's retail OEM (bare parts, limited support, etc), and then there's OEM channel where you're not going to have access to the part unless you have a contract for them or they start showing up on eBay.

for some reason ryzen tray cost has always been a fair bit higher than MSRP of boxed CPU's. i THINK this is to discourage them ending up in retail channels. and i am sure that if you were HP looking to by trays by the pallet, it is contract pricing so tray cost is moot to them. right now the tray cost of a 3900 is 517$. (still not comparable, who knows what the vendor you got your CPU from paid for a tray of 3900s. and street price of a tray CPU is almost a random number)

Cool, I haven't had a computer store in almost 20 years, but try to keep my head in the game. If I could have found a 3900 no X, for cheap, I would have bought one for my 1800X rig. :p Thank you for explaining it to me Zedicus, that makes sense.

Back