Any hot rumors on upcoming mobile GPUs?

Discussion in 'Video Cards' started by TheRealDarkphoX, Aug 8, 2018.

1. TheRealDarkphoX

TheRealDarkphoX n00bie

I'll be wading into the market for a new laptop in the near future, and would like to get something gaming-worthy. My current laptop has an I7-720 with a mobility 5870, so just about ANYTHING is going to be an immeasurable upgrade. If I bought today, it would have a GTX 1070, but this tech is > 2 years old.

I don't need the new lappy until March or so, so this isn't really about the typical "should I buy or should I wait." Rather, I've seen a lot of news and rumor about the upcoming desktop GPUs (Turing), but not really anything about the mobile counterparts.

So the question is...has anyone heard anything?

griff30 likes this.
  2. dvsman

dvsman [H]ard|Gawd

I was thinking the same thing myself. I almost pulled the trigger on a new laptop when the 6 core CPUs came out but most / all were still packing 10xx series GPUs so wasn't enough of an upgrade from my current laptop setups (my best mobile rig has a 1070). Hopefully once the full-size parts come out there will also be more news on the pending mobile parts.

TheRealDarkphoX likes this.
  3. xp3nd4bl3

xp3nd4bl3 2[H]4U

A "GV104M" hardware ID was leaked today along with the standard GV104, so it sounds like the new GPUs will be coming to mobile very soon.

That said, you can get a crazy deal on Pascal laptops lately.

TheRealDarkphoX likes this.
  4. TheRealDarkphoX

TheRealDarkphoX n00bie

That's definitely new, thanks for sharing. It'll be interesting if new cards come out in the next month or two...I also need an upgrade for my desktop's R9 290.