any high quality UPS uses silent fan or fan only turns on when unit is hot

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
the latest APC Smart UPS, there is a fan, but the noise is not loud, acceptable, although it seems to be on at all time

For the price tag of these UPS, I don't understand why they don't install a fluid bearing fan

the way I see it, if there is a UPS fan turns on 24 hr non stop, then that UPS is meant for a server room, not a home

Is there any brand that uses silent fan or a UPS w/ 2 ms or less switch on time that the fan does not turn on 24 hr. x 7 days

Good question. I never thought about this myself but it makes hella sense. From taking apart UPS to replace batteries, they don't look too complicated, though I wouldn't know if there would be any technical impact if you were to swap out fans yourself. Maybe I'll give it a shot next go around.

The fan is on the far end of the unit. So the battery replacement is at the front, and the cheap fan is at the back. So if you manage to change it successfully, let me know

Make sure you check the voltage of the fan before doing this. I have seen 24V fans in some UPSs.

although it seems to be on at all time

Did it go off? Some units will have the fan running during the charge. Since you just got it I assume the batteries were probably not at 100% and needed some charging.

Last edited:
but the indicator say 95% or so. It's not at 100%, but my APC Smart UPS, even at 60% charging, the fan doesn't turn on

I can't believe in the year 2018, the UPS industry is still using cheap junk fan. For a $500 to $600 UPS, they save $ on a fan?

Back