Any high-quality mice left that don't need extensive software

uOpt

[H]ard|Gawd
I need a new mouse base. I have been using MS Intellimouse explorer 3.0s forever. The only other thing I found fitting was the original Razer Diamondback, but my wife hogs it. I might just get a bunch of them on Ebay no matter the cost but let's try something sane first.

My attempt to get a new mouse was the Razer DeathAdder, but it was unusable without additional software. I really need a solid mouse with an easy to click (press) wheel, and it must behave normally, with standard acceleration, when plugged in. These will be used in contexts where I plug them in as needed into computers that have trackpads or trackballs, and I can't just modify the acceleration settings every time (and in the case of the DeathAdder messing with plain acceleration didn't help as it would either have wide swings too slow or small moves to fast, nothing useful in there). No way I'm going with their crazy cloud-enabled software.

What do you guys use? I just need something like the MS Intellimouse 3.0. Easy action on the buttons, including pressing the wheel, standard form like that one. Should last a while. Happy to spend money on good quality. I have no need for more precision.

G400 means just that, not the G400s, is that right?

The G9 with no further letters?

I guess I'll try Logitech then :) Thanks guys.

None of the Logitech gaming mice NEED the software installed, the buttons will work just fine without it.

The software just allows way more customization.

All the buttons on my G500 work just fine without the software.

None of the Logitech gaming mice NEED the software installed, the buttons will work just fine without it.

The software just allows way more customization.

All the buttons on my G500 work just fine without the software.

My concern wasn't about buttons, it was about acceleration that isn't usable without special software.

You need to use the software once to set up the Logitech Mice and then afterwards you can uninstall it. That's what I always did with mine.

G9(x)

No need for software, change dpi on the fly.

Yes they do work out of the box, but there are some settings you might find adjustment of to be beneficial. Then you can remove the software.

Most Logitech mice have onboard memory to store profiles so no matter where you plugin your mouse it will keep your settings.

Most Logitech mice have onboard memory to store profiles so no matter where you plugin your mouse it will keep your settings.

Yes they do. But if you want to adjust some settings you need to install the software. Then you can save those settings to the onboard memory.

Yes they do. But if you want to adjust some settings you need to install the software. Then you can save those settings to the onboard memory.

The question is, do I need to do that just to get normal acceleration?

The question is, do I need to do that just to get normal acceleration?

By default I think all logitech mice have speed(pointer speed not DPI)/acceleration controlled by the OS. If you want to adjust it manually then yes you will need to install the software. But once you have tweaked it the way you like on the software the settings will be saved onboard so you never have to install it again.

Steelseries Sensei.
Once it is setup, the profile(s) can be stored in the mouse so that wherever you plug it in, you can use any of the the profiles without software.
It has an LCD display on the bottom of the mouse to select profiles or alter them.
Its a first class mouse too.

So set it up once, remove software or stop it auto loading on Windows boot.
The software doesnt require any form of online connection either, something that put me off other mfrs.

For the logitech G9 and G400, do additional letters in the product designation matter?

I really hope these things have some reasonable defaults because I don't need more products that need polishing on my gaming machine first.

For the logitech G9 and G400, do additional letters in the product designation matter?

I really hope these things have some reasonable defaults because I don't need more products that need polishing on my gaming machine first.

The letter is done to indicate a series. The G9 were discountinued years ago and replaced with the G9X the only feature added was higher DPI function. The G9X has also been discontinued so prices are severely inflated at the moment.

The G400 was upgraded to Logitechs new S Gamer series. The changes are enhanced grip and better opitcal sensor, otherwise it's the same mouse.

Any logitech mouse is plug and play, the software just enhances the experience.

Sounds good :) I'll try a G400.

How hard is it to press the wheel (aka middle mouse button)?

By default I think all logitech mice have speed(pointer speed not DPI)/acceleration controlled by the OS. If you want to adjust it manually then yes you will need to install the software. But once you have tweaked it the way you like on the software the settings will be saved onboard so you never have to install it again.

This.

FYI monoprice has the zowie for 46$ and a 15$ off 50$ coupon, so spend a few more bucks and get some cables too!

I need a new mouse base. I have been using MS Intellimouse explorer 3.0s forever. The only other thing I found fitting was the original Razer Diamondback, but my wife hogs it. I might just get a bunch of them on Ebay no matter the cost but let's try something sane first.

My attempt to get a new mouse was the Razer DeathAdder, but it was unusable without additional software. I really need a solid mouse with an easy to click (press) wheel, and it must behave normally, with standard acceleration, when plugged in. These will be used in contexts where I plug them in as needed into computers that have trackpads or trackballs, and I can't just modify the acceleration settings every time (and in the case of the DeathAdder messing with plain acceleration didn't help as it would either have wide swings too slow or small moves to fast, nothing useful in there). No way I'm going with their crazy cloud-enabled software.

What do you guys use? I just need something like the MS Intellimouse 3.0. Easy action on the buttons, including pressing the wheel, standard form like that one. Should last a while. Happy to spend money on good quality. I have no need for more precision.

Hey uOpt, I'd highly recommend the original Razer Diamondback. I've been hoarding all of them that I could find, and while they are quite rare, they often pop up on Ebay from time to time. My most prized find was just this morning - I found an original, factory sealed Razer Diamondback in salamander red color. I had two of these when I was younger and they mysteriously disappeared over time, so it is a blessing to find a brand new one. Perhaps I'm stuck in my ways, but to me, I never, ever saw a reason to try out a different mouse. The Diamondback is comfortable and perfectly sized for my big hands. At max sensitivity in both the Razer driver settings along with the windows settings, paired with a 144hz monitor, I'm nearly unstoppable in FPS.

I've never tried the Deathadder, but the Diamondback drivers sound nothing like your experience with the Deathadder (odd side-to-side sensitivity, etc) - the Diamondback has adjustable scroll speed which I never mess with, and, my favorite that I use in every single game I play - on-the-fly sensitivity. It's immensely helpful in FPS where you may need to raise or lower your sensitivity depending upon what gun you're using.

I'd say give it a shot, you can find a used Diamondback on E-bay for around $50-60, and if you end up not liking it, they sell instantly on E-bay and Craigslist so it would be easy to get rid of it. But I don't think that will be the case ;)

Sorry to double post, but I just google image'd your old mouse (the intellimouse explorer 3.0) and lo-and-behold, my brother used to have that exact same mouse! I remember it very well - that was a comfortable mouse for sure. I happened to find an image comparing the intellimouse explorer 3.0 to a Microsoft Habu, and some mouse which looks extremely similar to a Diamondback/Copperhead - pretty sure it's the knock-off E-Bay version. It looks like the Microsoft Habu was actually made in cooperation with both Microsoft and Razer, which sounds very interesting. I had never heard of it before but it's nearly exactly similar looking to the IE 3.0. Here's a picture of the three of them. I still stand firm in my recommendation for the original Diamondback. I'm a die-hard fan of them.

competitionbig.jpg

Well, the problem with the Intellimouse 3.0 is bad microswitches. Twice a year or so I have to replace the left button switch and I'm running out of spare switches.

When you bid next time on a Diamondback drop me a pm :)

I wonder whether Microcenter has any of the top Logis to try out.

I have the Roccat Kone XTD. Great mouse, that allows DPI switching without software. You can install the software to allow fine tuning of what the DPI switching does. As well as affect the colors of the mouse.

Steelseries is also another great recommendation.

Steelseries kinzu v2 pro. Designed to be an improved WMO 1.1, it has super high max speed, better switches, and a good scroll wheel.

To address the OP's question, I'd like to say that most mice these days can be used without software, given that one uses said software once to configure the mouse as desired, then uninstall it. To my knowledge, the exceptions are Zowie Gear's mice which are driverless and have locked DPI steps, as well as certain Razer products which now require Synapse to be able to use profiles — as you seem aware of. If you wish to find an IME 3.0 you can still find some on eBay.

Steelseries kinzu v2 pro. Designed to be an improved WMO 1.1, it has super high max speed, better switches, and a good scroll wheel.
I must disagree with your statement that the Kinzu v2 has a high max tracking speed. It is in fact the contrary. If you swipe the mouse too fast the sensor will freak out send you spinning in game.

The Cyborg RAT series requires active software to use since they have no onboard ROM to store profiles. That's really my only complaint about them.

The Cyborg RAT series requires active software to use since they have no onboard ROM to store profiles. That's really my only complaint about them.
Good to mention. I was not aware of how the R.A.T.s function as I have never had any interest in Mad Catz' products — I very much dislike their aesthetics and their history of having issues with the PTE sensor has always drove me away from their gear.

To address the OP's question, I'd like to say that most mice these days can be used without software, given that one uses said software once to configure the mouse as desired, then uninstall it. To my knowledge, the exceptions are Zowie Gear's mice which are driverless and have locked DPI steps, as well as certain Razer products which now require Synapse to be able to use profiles — as you seem aware of. If you wish to find an IME 3.0 you can still find some on eBay.

The Razer Deathadder was useless without additional software, even if you modified the basic mouse speed and acceleration in the UI. Which I wouldn't like to do anyway but it didn't fix it in the first place.

Back