Any happy 4080 owners here?

IMG_20230103_142240892.jpg

So far so Good works with a 750 watt but getting a 850 watt Tomorrow. I'm glad it's x3 slots because one of the Thumbscrews ASUS Tuf case was stripped in my case so I have two screws in there skipped the top one. My eyes are not burning or anything lol bad experiences with other GPUs in the past. At least all the Fans spin the RPG software is pretty nice you can have lightening effects and stuff. Just updated to the latest Nvidia drivers helped a ton with clarity on the desktop can't wait for those OLED monitors to hit mainstream. I had a real bad experience with a 1080ti FE which was MSI back when it launched Windows 10 didn't mesh well with the card for about a month or more total eye strain agony for a month.
Now I gotta decide if I want Raptor Lake I tried upgrading but it hated my Z690 M.2 ports were not being detected still have the chip might just sell it all
and wait for Meteor Lake instead.

3070 RTX I7 12700k Superposition_Benchmark_v1.0_25030_1638546924.png

Before 3070 EVGA

Superposition_Benchmark_v1.0_37295_1672779665.png

After 4080 MSI Suprim

Last edited:
Installed a 85O EVGA P5 Platinum pita install the CPU connector gave me the most problem because it was spliced with EVGA rock hard cables. I also picked up a Corsair PSU for a backup.
The thing is some of my benchmark scores went down after the install not alot but it could be the MSI software I installed later on.

I'm so sick of using this 2080. I would have replaced it years ago if it wasn't for the crypto BS. It seems like there is always one more reason to wait.

I had zero interest in the 4080 when it was first announced and launched. I had my money ready to go to buy a 4090 on launch day. 3 months later I still have not been able to actually buy a card, despite trying every day. You would think that it wouldn't be so hard to give a company $1700+ (including tax)... I waited for the RDNA3 launch (AMD 7000-series GPUs), but that didn't seem to change anything. I waited for the Holiday shopping season to pass, but that didn't seem to change anything. I waited for the 4070 Ti to launch, but that doesn't seem to be changing anything. I really wanted a card with 24Gb of VRAM, so my backup plan was to try to find a cheap 3090 or 3090 Ti if I couldn't get a 4090. But it just feels bad knowing that even if I got a 3090 Ti, I'd only be getting a card that is barely as fast as Nvidia's new higher-end midrange card (4070 Ti).

So I am seriously considering just buying a 4080 now. I like the Founders Edition and it seems to be reliably in-stock at Best Buy these days. The 16Gb on the 4080 feels like a compromise compared to 24Gb, but at least it's still twice the amount of VRAM that I have on my current card. The 4080 is still the 2nd fastest card out there, especially when ray tracing is involved, and the main game that I play does in-fact use ray tracing. I can continue to keep using features such as DLDSR and Shadowplay. I don't have to worry if 3000-series power-spikes would be too much for my 850w PSU. And if I'm going to be honest with myself, I probably don't need a 4090 for the main games that I play.

The only thing that would actually bother me is thinking to myself that "for $400 more I could have held out for a 4090". But like I mentioned, I'm really burnt out on waiting, and this entire situation is causing me to become more and more jaded about the 4090 every day. The latest rumor seems to be that there will be more stock of the 4090 in March, but who knows if that will pan out. It's also different paying $1600 on launch day vs spending $1600 on a card that would be nearly half a year old at that point. Unless I can find a 3090 for like $600, I'm probably going to have a 4080 in my computer soon.

I'm so sick of using this 2080. I would have replaced it years ago if it wasn't for the crypto BS. It seems like there is always one more reason to wait.

I had zero interest in the 4080 when it was first announced and launched. I had my money ready to go to buy a 4090 on launch day. 3 months later I still have not been able to actually buy a card, despite trying every day. You would think that it wouldn't be so hard to give a company $1700+ (including tax)... I waited for the RDNA3 launch (AMD 7000-series GPUs), but that didn't seem to change anything. I waited for the Holiday shopping season to pass, but that didn't seem to change anything. I waited for the 4070 Ti to launch, but that doesn't seem to be changing anything. I really wanted a card with 24Gb of VRAM, so my backup plan was to try to find a cheap 3090 or 3090 Ti if I couldn't get a 4090. But it just feels bad knowing that even if I got a 3090 Ti, I'd only be getting a card that is barely as fast as Nvidia's new higher-end midrange card (4070 Ti).

So I am seriously considering just buying a 4080 now. I like the Founders Edition and it seems to be reliably in-stock at Best Buy these days. The 16Gb on the 4080 feels like a compromise compared to 24Gb, but at least it's still twice the amount of VRAM that I have on my current card. The 4080 is still the 2nd fastest card out there, especially when ray tracing is involved, and the main game that I play does in-fact use ray tracing. I can continue to keep using features such as DLDSR and Shadowplay. I don't have to worry if 3000-series power-spikes would be too much for my 850w PSU. And if I'm going to be honest with myself, I probably don't need a 4090 for the main games that I play.

The only thing that would actually bother me is thinking to myself that "for $400 more I could have held out for a 4090". But like I mentioned, I'm really burnt out on waiting, and this entire situation is causing me to become more and more jaded about the 4090 every day. The latest rumor seems to be that there will be more stock of the 4090 in March, but who knows if that will pan out. It's also different paying $1600 on launch day vs spending $1600 on a card that would be nearly half a year old at that point. Unless I can find a 3090 for like $600, I'm probably going to have a 4080 in my computer soon.
Unless you game at 4K, you'll be bottlenecked with the 4090. The current CPUs still can't keep up enough at 1440p, holding it's lead around 35% in RT. $1200+35% = $1,620
The 4090 is a savage at 4K, which makes it an ideal card for 5K wide angle.

The 4090 doesn't support DP2.0 making it a dead end upgrade IMO. An extra $400-800 over the 4080, plus system upgrades makes it very pricey. If the 4090Ti has DP2.0, that will be the desirable card for me, because I can run 5120x2160 @ 120. The monitor and the card doesn't exist so I can wait with my 4080. Skipping the 4090 is actually a good thing. You can keep your current system specs and wait for DP2.0 and 5KWA monitors to take advantage of the performance.

But this doesn't justify that someone should get an overpriced 4080. Just pointing out that the 4090 will cost users more money over time.

Last edited:

Man, March is Just a few weeks away at this point. Just hold. Besides I'm pretty sure if you keep trying a 4090 will pop up long before march. And also there's nothing wrong with buying the 4090 in march if it comes to that. The 5090 won't be out before fall 24 so..

Unless you game at 4K, you'll be bottlenecked with the 4090. The current CPUs still can't keep up enough at 1440p, holding it's lead around 35% in RT. $1200+35% = $1,620
The 4090 is a savage at 4K, which makes it an ideal card for 5K wide angle.

The 4090 doesn't support DP2.0 making it a dead end upgrade IMO. An extra $400-800 over the 4080, plus system upgrades makes it very pricey. If the 4090Ti has DP2.0, that will be the desirable card for me, because I can run 5120x2160 @ 120. The monitor and the card doesn't exist so I can wait with my 4080. Skipping the 4090 is actually a good thing. You can keep you current system specs and wait for DP2.0 and 5KWA monitors to take advantage of the performance.

I have a 1440p monitor but I like to play at 4K using DLDSR, sort of a best-of-both-worlds scenario that also provides amazing anti-aliasing - to the extent that you can often disable regular in-game anti-aliasing and recoup some of the performance loss from running at 4K. I'm using a 5800X3D CPU which is hands-down the fastest CPU for the game that I play. Faster than both the Intel 13-series as well as regular Zen 4 CPUs. I'll probably upgrade to a Zen4 3D-cache CPU in a year or so. I'm not too worried about CPU bottlenecks at this point, just tired of seeing my GPU usage pegged at 100%.

I have a 1440p monitor but I like to play at 4K using DLDSR, sort of a best-of-both-worlds scenario that also provides amazing anti-aliasing - to the extent that you can often disable regular in-game anti-aliasing and recoup some of the performance loss from running at 4K. I'm using a 5800X3D CPU which is hands-down the fastest CPU for the game that I play. Faster than both the Intel 13-series as well as regular Zen 4 CPUs. I'll probably upgrade to a Zen4 3D-cache CPU in a year or so. I'm not too worried about CPU bottlenecks at this point, just tired of seeing my GPU usage pegged at 100%.
That's a good way to use a 4090 on a 1440p monitor. I like monitors with a pixel density of 109 and above. 1440p has always been my go to for that.
High pixel density will keep the image looking great using DLDSR.

It reminds me of using DSR in Battlefield 1/4.

I played 10+ hours of Darktide for the past 2-3 days card is awesome at 1080P on my 24.5" VA when I was using my 3070 you could tell the game wasn't as smooth now it's buttery smooth. Except for sever side problem once in a while but that depends on what far distance relatives you group with. I can't wait to get a small form factor OLED monitor have my eye on the 27" Asus Swift but don't like the price of it when it's almost the same price of the 34" Alienware.

I am happy it does not have bad coil whine and looks great in my new pc. I am not happy paying 1200 bucks when the 4090 was only 400 bucks more and never in stock. That is the Corsair 12VHPWR cable if anyone was wondering.

4080.jpg

Last edited:
I am happy it does not have bad coil whine and looks great in my new pc. I am not happy paying 1200 bucks when the 4090 was only 400 bucks more and never in stock. That is the Corsair 12VHPWR cable if anyone was wondering.
Looks good!

Last edited:
Try to get your 2080's memory speed as high as possible before upping the core to help eek out some extra fps at your preferred rez. IMO.

Had some time to look over the Asus ROG forums I guess they updated the BIOS for my Z690 a few weeks ago in December so after spending a few hours doing that I plugged in my 13700K I bought like 3 months ago. I couldn't use it back then because of ram errors only detected half of my ram plus one of the M.2 slots wouldn't work so I went back to the 12700K. Just today I plugged in my 13700K praying that it would work. I ran Superposition again a few times closed a bunch of programs then I took off eco mode on my PSU because I know that raises the score I was suprised to get it over 40,000+ I saw someone on the UNIGINE website with a 40,000+ score but with a 4090 so I'm happy now to get that with my 4080 almost double that of my 3070 RTX.

13700K SUPRIM 4080 144HZ VA 1080P.png

Last edited:
I just got my 4080 in the mail (managed to trade my RX 7900 XTX for it, astonishingly), and I gotta say...

...I don't feel like I'm missing out that much by not getting the 4090, because the 4080 is still enough to drive a Valve Index at 90 Hz where the 7900 XTX was just hopeless and fell into reprojection/motion smoothing often, even accounting for the vapor chamber problem.

Pancake gaming without RT doesn't even suffer that much when I'm still on a 1080p120 monitor.

Sure, I could've spent a lot more and got the 4090, maybe had the VR headroom to push supersampling a bit more in the more unoptimized stuff like DCS and NMS, but you know what? I'll just pocket the savings and put it toward a later-gen GPU that makes the 4090 look like a 60-class or even 50-class GPU.

It's not like I'm a stranger to putting off GPU upgrades at this point, given that I waited over seven years to upgrade from that GTX 980 I bought back in November 2015, a GPU I bought specifically to be VR-ready on day one in the Rift CV1/Vive era. Didn't age too well, but the time has finally arrived.

Not that it should cost $1,200+, or even $1,000, but at least the hardware physically exists to pull it off. It just needs to drop in price, especially if you're coming from something far more recent than Maxwell.

View attachment 540372
Send it back. 4090 supply is getting much better on AIB models. If you are wanting an FE keep what you have.

I like my 4080. I know it’s slower than a 4090, it’s also cheaper. My favorite thing is many manufacturers are using the same giant heatsinks on the 4080s so they run super cool. Mine does anyway lol

I like my 4080. I know it’s slower than a 4090, it’s also cheaper. My favorite thing is many manufacturers are using the same giant heatsinks on the 4080s so they run super cool. Mine does anyway lol
My FE runs at 52C on default fan curve. 2830Mhz stock. 240W. Sometimes I undervolt and get 210W and sub 50C temps.
This coming from an 80C+ 3070Ti and 3090. The experience is amazing.

My FE runs at 52C on default fan curve. 2830Mhz stock. 240W. Sometimes I undervolt and get 210W and sub 50C temps.
This coming from an 80C+ 3070Ti and 3090. The experience is amazing.
The 4080 will easily go above 300 watts in demanding games at 4k. When its not being pushed the efficiency is insane though. For instance in Gotham Knights my 3080 ti was running at 290 watts where the 4080 was only at 150 watts on the same settings.

The 4080 will easily go above 300 watts in demanding games at 4k. When its not being pushed the efficiency is insane though. For instance in Gotham Knights my 3080 ti was running at 290 watts where the 4080 was only at 150 watts on the same settings.
In Cyberpunk with Psycho RT at 3440x1440, it peaks around 270W but averages around 248-255W, undervolt is at 210-220W.
If it draws more power at 4K I'm glad I game at 1440.

In Cyberpunk with Psycho RT at 3440x1440, it peaks around 270W but averages around 248-255W, undervolt is at 210-220W.
If it draws more power at 4K I'm glad I game at 1440.
Well of course it draws more power at 4k as it is actually being put to full use. And Cyberpunk with RT is just strange as even my 3080 ti does not get pushed as hard as most other games.

Not sure if you ever got a 4090, but they are available at MSRP at the Gigabyte store right now.

Not sure if you ever got a 4090, but they are available at MSRP at the Gigabyte store right now.

Part of my problem was that I had to hold out for a FE or other 3-slot card. Most AIB cards are 3.5 or 4-slot cards. I simply couldn't sacrifice that many slots. I ended up getting a 4080 FE, works great.

The 4080 FE is great. I bought one thinking I would never get a 4090, but if I did get a chance before the return period for the 4080 expired then I would return it and buy the 4090. My return period expired on 1/14 and I found a 4090 on 1/13. It arrives (hopefully) on Thursday.

I love mine but I've been lucky to get good money for my last few cards. Sure I got ripped off each time but being able to sell old cards for an inflated price on ebay helps a lot. My first really expensive card was a 1080ti founder which I got for $700 and eventually sold for over $500 iirc which I put toward a 2080ti for $999 (I think) which I eventually sold for $1000 which I put toward a 3080ti from a scalper for about $1800 which I eventually sold for $900 which I put towards a 4080 for $1260. The one that stings is the scalped 3080ti which I gave in to after spending days on a discord board trying to click on for sale items as soon as they popped up and getting beat by bots every time. Long story short the 4080 does everything I want at good fps and high settings and was about $450 out of pocket which sadly seems reasonable these days. If I was coming 100% out of pocket the full amount I would be less happy.

I have a 4080 Aero, paid $1300 for it. I know there is a tax on white builds anyways. The card is pretty much 90% passive and the fans don't even turn on in most games. If they do, they run for like 10 seconds and shut back off for 15 minutes. LOL

Very pleased with my 4080 FE. Paid $1099 for an open box model that still had all the plugs and wrapping intact. It replaced an EVGA 3080 FTW Ultra. I had no intention to upgrade from my 3080 until I saw that 4080 on a Best Buy shelf a couple weeks ago.

3000 series is very very overpriced now.

Yeah. Everyone knocks the 4070 Ti, but it matches the 3090 Ti in most cases, and exceeds it when things like DLSS3 come into play. The only exception is situations where the larger VRam on the 3090 cards comes into play. But overall it makes it silly to charge more than the cost of a 4070 Ti for a 3000-series card, which is still the case in many situations. Lots of 3090 Ti cards still priced in the $1000-$1100 range, which just seems crazy to me.

Yeah. Everyone knocks the 4070 Ti, but it matches the 3090 Ti in most cases, and exceeds it when things like DLSS3 come into play. The only exception is situations where the larger VRam on the 3090 cards comes into play. But overall it makes it silly to charge more than the cost of a 4070 Ti for a 3000-series card, which is still the case in many situations. Lots of 3090 Ti cards still priced in the $1000-$1100 range, which just seems crazy to me.
Looking at the frame gap in DLSS3, I wouldn't pay more than $450-500 for a 3090/Ti right now.
As this start to roll out to more games and frametimes continue to improve, people will shift over to 4000 series.

View attachment 540372

Sweet build!! Love the understated elegance. I am using the exact combo (4080 FE and Corsair cable). Besides the price point being silly, I really dig the FE cooler design this generation, both functionally and aethestically. When I inevitably upgrade to the next best thing (4090 Ti, whatever), it will have to be an FE version. The coolers on all these AIB cards are goofy looking and just blow hot air into the case. Congrats on your setup.

To add...I'm not knocking anyone that bought and is super happy with an AIB card, just not my preference. Don't mean to offend.

Last edited:
I landed a 4080 FE from Best Buy about a month ago for $1,199. Overpriced? Maybe, but about a week before that I had shelled out $1,700 in desperation for a new EVGA 3090 FTW3 off Amazon. I decided to send that back for a full refund when I got the 4080. It will be plenty fast enough for anything I am going to need it for. I plan on putting the extra cash into an AM5 MB with a new 3D chip anyway.

I landed a 4080 FE from Best Buy about a month ago for $1,199. Overpriced? Maybe, but about a week before that I had shelled out $1,700 in desperation for a new EVGA 3090 FTW3 off Amazon. I decided to send that back for a full refund when I got the 4080. It will be plenty fast enough for anything I am going to need it for. I plan on putting the extra cash into an AM5 MB with a new 3D chip anyway.
WTH

Wow. I got a used 3090 off Amazon in October for $781. Sold it for the 4080.
$1700 is crazy but thankfully you got it from Amazon.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
IMO—if both cards can be found at MSRP the 7900XTX barely edges out the 4080, but in reality I’m finding more 4080’s close to its MSRP than I’m finding 7900XTX’s. I’m finding AIB 4080’s at $1249, while the cheapest 7900XTX that’s not from AMD’s website is $1099. At that price difference to be the 4080 wins only because of DLSS and RT performance.

As much as I’ve dogged RT and called it niche, mainstream RT usage in games is going on five years old, it doesn’t seem to be going anywhere anytime soon, and the cards themselves are able to produce playable frame rates with RT enabled in just about all titles which gives the 4080 its value over the 7900XTX.

Again, just my opinion since these cards are well outside my budget.

My only months old 4080 FE died over the weekend. :( There were no indications of any problems. It just stopped working on Saturday after a few hours playing Ashen and Metro Exodus. I've never had an FE before. How's Nvidia's warranty service?

Haven't sold my EVGA 3080, yet, so I'm still able to use my computer until I get back the 4080.

Back