Any Guess When Nvidia 3000-Series Drivers Available On Linux ?

cybereality

[H]F Junkie
I'm interested in the new RTX 3080 or maybe 3090. However I wonder if there will be Linux drivers at launch.

Anyone else buy a new Nvidia card at launch that can comment how long it took for Nvidia to release a Linux driver for it?

While I didn't buy the 20 series at launch (late September 2018), I do remember drivers starting to show up in repositories in early November.

That's going to be an interesting one. I really have no idea; I just know that Nvidia is likely to prioritize support, and will probably beat AMD given that they ship a separate package vs. AMD rolling their drivers into the Linux kernel, but whether that support will arrive with the hardware?

I don't think anyone was in a hurry with the 2000-series release...

I'm interested in the new RTX 3080 or maybe 3090. However I wonder if there will be Linux drivers at launch.

Anyone else buy a new Nvidia card at launch that can comment how long it took for Nvidia to release a Linux driver for it?
You know Linus Torvalds famous opinion on Nvidia?

The binary will probably be ready, whether support is in the kernel glue depends on where it falls in the release cycle, I guess, and how early they push it.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I might just rock Windows for a bit so I can get the card early and then check back once drivers are out.

I have no doubt the 3xxx series will be supported next major driver release. Nvidia are usually pretty good at supporting their hardware under Linux, it's the AMD open source drivers that tend to lag behind.

Looks like Ampere already has support.

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 11.43.57 AM.png

Back