Any good turn based games recently?

Mr. Perfect

Limp Gawd
Hey all, I'm looking for a gift for a turn based PC gamer, but since I don't follow the turn based game genre I'm out of my depth. Where there any great turn based RPGs this year? :confused:

Bonus points for games that actually have a boxed version that can be gift wrapped and handed to someone. :D

XCOM - Enemy Unknown is a decent game that came out a while back but is still good today.

South Park The stick of Truth

I don't really consider that true turn based combat. It is turn based but with the QTEs and how the game nags you if don't take your turn immediately it didn't feel like a turn based game to me. I enjoyed the game but the combat was easily the worst part IMO and I like turn based combat.

Both Divinity: original sin and Wasteland 2 are worth buying. Hell, i kickstarted WL2, and while the game had some issues, it was still well worth the money i spent to help get it made. And Divinity was simply excellent all the way around. Good plot, loooong game, and the crafting system was actually useful, and not a tacked on afterthought.

Both games did a good job of making the turn based combat tactical enough for me. The whole point of turn based combat, for me, is the ability to think over how i want to approach a combat situation, and how bets to exploit the terrain, my characters skillsets, and equipment.

How about... Fallen Enchantress Legendary Heroes? Playing it now.

Hmm, there's more games then I though. Anyhow, I grabbed a boxed copy of Wasteland 2, just because he'd been playing Fallout 1. Seems appropriate.

Thanks all, the other sugestions will make gifting easier throughout the rest of the year. :)

banner saga; king bounty dark side and val. chronicles.

I've yet to play the King's Bounty series. But, I wholeheartedly recommend Valkyria Chronicles (which I played a couple of years ago on PS3) and also recommend The Banner Saga. That one is a little different, but a worthy game.

Hmm, there's more games then I though. Anyhow, I grabbed a boxed copy of Wasteland 2, just because he'd been playing Fallout 1. Seems appropriate.

Thanks all, the other sugestions will make gifting easier throughout the rest of the year. :)

I love the Fallout series. Wish to hell they'd made van beuren (the real fallout 3). While i did thoroughly enjoy the FO3 that bethesda produced (and new vegas), it wasn't truly a fallout game. They just didn't get the feel right.

Wasteland 2 didn't either, but it wasn't a fallout game and wasn't marketed as such. It was a sequel to the original wasteland, and WAS faithful to that lore. Hoping for more, once they get Tides of Numenera off the ground (watch for this one as well).

I love the Fallout series. Wish to hell they'd made van beuren (the real fallout 3). While i did thoroughly enjoy the FO3 that bethesda produced (and new vegas), it wasn't truly a fallout game. They just didn't get the feel right.

Wasteland 2 didn't either, but it wasn't a fallout game and wasn't marketed as such. It was a sequel to the original wasteland, and WAS faithful to that lore. Hoping for more, once they get Tides of Numenera off the ground (watch for this one as well).

Your always going to lose a little of the feel going from isometric to first person. I love what Bethesda and Obsidian did with it.

From what I read they both require Steam and for the games to be downloaded from Steam. WL2 disc supposedly only contains the Steam client.
I don't think OP has a problem with downloading, he just wanted something physical to wrap and hand to someone ;). But I'm pretty sure Divinity does not require Steam if you install from a boxed copy.

Divinity: Original Sin and Wasteland 2 are my recommendations as well. I backed both via Kickstarter and I couldn't be happier to have supported the games given the results. I managed 74 hours in my initial playthrough of Divinity: Original Sin and it's easily my RPG of the year. I'm 28 hours into Wasteland 2 (just started the game on Christmas eve) and it is also quite excellent. It reminds me a bit of Fallout: Tactics :)

Back