Any good RPGs lately?

[X]eltic

Limp Gawd
A couple years ago, I was an avid game player, mostly RPGs, but for some reason, I just lost interest in gaming and stopped playing entirely. Lately, I'm getting interested in gaming again, mostly because of my new PC, and I must say I find it very difficult to find any good old school RPGs. To give you an idea of the games that I like:

-Chrono Trigger (SNES)
-Final Fantasy VI (SNES)
-Xenogears (Playstation)
-Final Fantasy VII

Basically, what's important to me is good character development (skills, levels, experience, equipment, etc) a good story and exploration. Mysterious caves, treasure chests, merchants selling loot, boss fights; that kind of feeling! These games, are they still being made? Note, doesn't have to be on the PC, if necessary, I'd buy a console.

Any of the new bioware rpgs are great: Dragon Age, Mass effect 1/2, however you seem to be more into JRPGs in all honesty if you aren't worried about graphics buy a ps2 and you'll have RPGs for years. FFX,X-2, Xenogears, Suikoden, Kingdom hearts and many more.

I think you would like Oblivion. I like all the games you like in your list, and I loved Oblivion. You should really give it a try.

Also if you haven't played Final Fantasy Tactics yet on the Playstation GET IT, I highly recommend you play it, its one of the best RPG games ever made, the storyline, character development and soundtrack is fantastic. There is also Xeno-Saga on the PS2, I have never played it but I had a roommate that did, it looked fun.

Last edited:
FF13 came out a few days ago...

Do not buy FF13. If character development, equipment and skills are important to you, you will be sorely disappointed. They took out all the RPG elements and turned it into an action game, ala Devil May Cry/Dynasty warriors. Its sad too, I remember when all the FF games were unique, since FF10 (which I liked) they have all had the same art direction, each time they come out with a new FF they take less and less away from the player.

Last edited:
[X]eltic;1035445046 said:
A couple years ago, I was an avid game player, mostly RPGs, but for some reason, I just lost interest in gaming and stopped playing entirely. Lately, I'm getting interested in gaming again, mostly because of my new PC, and I must say I find it very difficult to find any good old school RPGs. To give you an idea of the games that I like:

-Chrono Trigger (SNES)
-Final Fantasy VI (SNES)
-Xenogears (Playstation)
-Final Fantasy VII

Basically, what's important to me is good character development (skills, levels, experience, equipment, etc) a good story and exploration. Mysterious caves, treasure chests, merchants selling loot, boss fights; that kind of feeling! These games, are they still being made? Note, doesn't have to be on the PC, if necessary, I'd buy a console.

Sounds like you might really LOVE Lost Odyssey. ;) I know I did. It has all of that stuff that you mentioned. Great story, too. It's very old-school/traditional type made by the original FF guy and the music is composed by the guy that did all the FF as well. Check it out, really.

Thanks for the replies so far guys, I'm really going to look into all these games. One game that I found myself was The Last Remnant. Any idea if this is a good game? First hand experience with that one?

You could also wait for Resonance of Fate coming out Tuesday. It's developed by Tri-Ace, the people who made Valkrie Chronicles and Star Ocean.

The weapon and armor customization I hear is unrivaled. But a gripe I read was boring dungeons, so it's a give or take on that one.

If you are a fan of RPGs, then go buy a Xbox 360. It has the largest library of RPGs available, both western and surprisingly JRPGs.

[X]eltic;1035445143 said:
Thanks for the replies so far guys, I'm really going to look into all these games. One game that I found myself was The Last Remnant. Any idea if this is a good game? First hand experience with that one?

Its 'okay', but there are much better JRPGs out there currently.

[X]eltic;1035445143 said:

The battle system in the Last Remnant is horrible. I haven't finished it and I don't think I ever will, what story and characters I experienced were meh...

But I do agree with NeoGohan, Lost Odyssey, its really good.

Have you played suikoden II, after I beat xenogears back in the day, I was longing for an experience like that game. Suikoden II might be right up your alley even though its an older game, but they never get old for me! I even still play xenogears from time to time, once i start i never stop lol love that game!

Dragon Age and the Mass Effect games (especially ME2, which I'd argue is among the best games to come out. Period). Those are very recent, and the best you will find. Final Fantasy XIII also just came out, and although I didn't like it that much at all, I know a lot of people are digging it.

Going back a little further (although not much) I'd say give Fallout 3 and Oblivion a try. More so Fallout 3.

you should play FF 13, it's a hell of a game, the people bashing it clearly have not bothered to play it or played far enough into it

FF 13 is exactly what I was looking for in the natural evolution of this series. it's a hell of a game.

Other than FF 13, i recommend you play FF 7, 8, 9, X and 12

Also you might want to consider giving Valkyria Chronicles a try, it's a little known gem of a game.

An expansion of dragon age is coming out on the 16. Going to be a good game.

Do not buy FF13. If character development, equipment and skills are important to you, you will be sorely disappointed. They took out all the RPG elements and turned it into an action game, ala Devil May Cry/Dynasty warriors. Its sad too, I remember when all the FF games were unique, since FF10 (which I liked) they have all had the same art direction, each time they come out with a new FF they take less and less away from the player.

Wow, if this is as true as you say, I would be fucking furious with this game. I used to love the FF series and this is an attrocity to its former good name

OP, I would not Mass Effect, it's a much more focused design than the games you've described. FF13 is also highly linear, but the story and setting is probably expansive enough to satisfy you.

I would recommend Dragon Age and The Last Remnant.

How about the original FFs for Nintendo or the Phantasy Star series RPGs for the Sega Genesis?

Then you have PC RPGs:
Baldurs Gate 2
Planescape: Torment
Icewind Dale
etc....

Overall though, Baldurs Gate 2 and Planescape:Torment's stories puts any JRPG's story to shame.

Last edited:
Wow, if this is as true as you say, I would be fucking furious with this game. I used to love the FF series and this is an attrocity to its former good name

oh yeah, its bad. And to top it all off Square has confirmed that this will be there new way of doing things as far as Final Fantasy goes. Final Fantasy as we know it , is dead.

oh yeah, its bad. And to top it all off Square has confirmed that this will be there new way of doing things as far as Final Fantasy goes. Final Fantasy as we know it , is dead.

Yeah, tell yourself that

While you're proclaiming the series is dead, I'm going to actually play it from start to finish and enjoy every moment of it, I'm almost 7 hours into it and I have to say it's one of the best FF games yet and I've played em all, from the original FF game on NES to this one.

If someone's really a fan of this series, they would not rush to judgement like that, they would instead play it from start to finish, and THEN form an opinion of the game. Furthermore, any true fan who knows the history and direction of this series knows that with each FF game in the main series, Square tries to do something different. This is their modern vision for FF. I don't see it as a bad thing because it's such a departure from every JRPG out there that it really is it's own definition of RPG.

I like it and I would encourage anybody to play it.

The people hating on it are better off sticking to traditional RPG's if they don't want to get with the times.

Good Old Games just got Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura

Along with Stonekeep, Might and Magic and Return to Krondor.

Yeah, tell yourself that

While you're proclaiming the series is dead, I'm going to actually play it from start to finish and enjoy every moment of it, I'm almost 7 hours into it and I have to say it's one of the best FF games yet and I've played em all, from the original FF game on NES to this one.

If someone's really a fan of this series, they would not rush to judgement like that, they would instead play it from start to finish, and THEN form an opinion of the game. Furthermore, any true fan who knows the history and direction of this series knows that with each FF game in the main series, Square tries to do something different. This is their modern vision for FF. I don't see it as a bad thing because it's such a departure from every JRPG out there that it really is it's own definition of RPG.

I like it and I would encourage anybody to play it.

The people hating on it are better off sticking to traditional RPG's if they don't want to get with the times.

Just about 30 hours into it, and the game is bloody awesome. People need to give it time, the first few chapters suck, once the game opens up around 9-10 it becomes an awesome game, well worthy of the Final Fantasy name.

I can tell you've played FF13. Judging by your in depth knowledge of this game.

NOT!

It's a good game, maybe you should try it instead of saying this is game 30 minutes into it. Or trusting review sites.

People need to give it time, the first few chapters suck, once the game opens up around 9-10 it becomes an awesome game
Great games doesn't come front-loaded with 10h+ of suckage. I'm a person who's never played any FF game. I might have gotten this if it weren't for comments like this (and I've seen other people claim even more hours are needed).

Everyone seems to agree there's at least 10h of bad game up front. I don't understand how a game 'this big' was allowed to be released in such a state.

Dragon Age and the Mass Effect games (especially ME2, which I'd argue is among the best games to come out. Period). Those are very recent, and the best you will find. Final Fantasy XIII also just came out, and although I didn't like it that much at all, I know a lot of people are digging it.

Going back a little further (although not much) I'd say give Fallout 3 and Oblivion a try. More so Fallout 3.

Dragon Age, Mass Effect 2, Fallout 3 and Oblivion, you van't go wrong with any of these titles. These four remain my modern favorites. :)

As for classic/past games,

Stonekeep, Might and Magic (6 was my favorite of them all), Return to Krondor, Lands of Lore 1 & 2 (3 was eh), Albion, Quest for Glory series.

I'm going to actually play it from start to finish and enjoy every moment of it, I'm almost 7 hours into it and I have to say it's one of the best FF games yet

If someone's really a fan of this series, they would not rush to judgement like that, they would instead play it from start to finish, and THEN form an opinion of the game.

lol I read this and laughed. Then I saw your name... :(

How can you say you will enjoy the whole game when you are only 7 hours into it? And then say it's one of the best FF ever? Then say you wouldn't judge it until you beat it?

Anyone else see this? I am very lost.

lol I read this and laughed. Then I saw your name... :(

How can you say you will enjoy the whole game when you are only 7 hours into it? And then say it's one of the best FF ever? Then say you wouldn't judge it until you beat it?

Anyone else see this? I am very lost.

I see what you did there

FF13 on PS3 is pretty great so far. Although the voice acting could be better, the overall game play is fantastic. Other than that, I'm not sure what other RPG is out there.

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines + unofficial patch. No game has better atmosphere.

Wow can't believe this thread as gone so long without the mention of the Lufia, Lunar, Dragon Quest series.

Anyway.... there isn't much of JRPG type titles on the PC. Even on consoles there is not a lot of good new JRPGs that have been translated.

Great games doesn't come front-loaded with 10h+ of suckage. I'm a person who's never played any FF game. I might have gotten this if it weren't for comments like this (and I've seen other people claim even more hours are needed).

Everyone seems to agree there's at least 10h of bad game up front. I don't understand how a game 'this big' was allowed to be released in such a state.

10 hours? That's a vast overstatement, it's more like 3-4. And most people agree that most games don't last longer than 15 hours anymore. So what's the trade off? 3 or 4 hours of bad gameplay compared to 30 hours of lack of gameplay? So what.

Yeah, tell yourself that

Actually that is strait from the horses mouth.

I can tell you've played FF13. Judging by your in depth knowledge of this game.

NOT!

It's a good game, maybe you should try it instead of saying this is game 30 minutes into it. Or trusting review sites.

Well, being a fan of the originals , I can tell that I wouldn't like this game, I like rpg's with equipment , shops and maps.

Besides, Square basically shunning there old fans away to bring in the new kiddies really pisses me off. I have supported Squaresoft for years and for them to tell us that there not continuing with there traditional ways of doing things as far as Final Fantasy's go. Well , they can have there new fans , and there money. There not getting mine.

I heard those same comments from people who bought FF7 and didn't understand how to play it

those kind of comments make me /facepalm

Back