Any good reason to / not to run my 2x 2TB Hynix P41 m.2 drives in RAID 0?

Delicieuxz

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm going to have the two P41 drives for OS, apps, games. I'll have a 4TB backup drives for essential stuff. Though, some important things will be in the OS and profile folders that I won't back up that often.

Considering both the motherboard and the NVMe drives, will the transfer rate of the drives in RAID0 exceed the motherboard max transfer rate.

Considering both the motherboard and the NVMe drives, will the transfer rate of the drives in RAID0 exceed the motherboard max transfer rate.
I'm guessing not. The motherboard is an Asus ROG Strix X670E-A. It has 2x PCIe 5 m.2 and 2x PCIe 4 m.2 slots, and none of the m.2 slots share bandwidth with anything else.

You're adding uneccessary complexity to your system and increasing your risk of data loss. You'll never notice the increased throughput in real-life usage, and may actually slightly hurt access times/latency due to the extra layer of RAID drivers.

RAID 0 should only ever be used for large (too big for a single drive) transient data that you don't care about keeping around, such as scratch volumes.

I've run a 2 and 3 drive raid 0 array for a couple years on my X570. Performance wasn't what I was hoping for but it's been very trouble free and tolerant of multiple memory over clocking sessions so I can't complain much. Maybe the new chipset will have considerably better performance coupled with express 5 drives to make it more performant. One thing I'll add is expect a considerable rise in chipset temps if it's anything like X570. After setting the array at 3 drives my chipset temp went as high as 70C and the drives really didn't like that. I had to add a couple ghetto fans pointed at the chipset heat sink to get things under control again. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I've run a 2 and 3 drive raid 0 array for a couple years on my X570. Performance wasn't what I was hoping for but it's been very trouble free and tolerant of multiple memory over clocking sessions so I can't complain much. Maybe the new chipset will have considerably better performance coupled with express 5 drives to make it more performant. One thing I'll add is expect a considerable rise in chipset temps if it's anything like X570. After setting the array at 3 drives my chipset temp went as high as 70C and the drives really didn't like that. I had to add a couple ghetto fans pointed at the chipset heat sink to get things under control again. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Interesting. The raid 0 worked the chipset harder than usual. Makes sense if it's on the same chipset. I have a drive on the cpu and a drive on the chipset so I couldn't do it anyway also because one is a main drive, and the other is a game drive different sizes and different make/models 2tb/4tb but I had entertained the idea of it before but then after much thought i realized that I don't want to deal with it anymore after raid 0 for years and years.

Unless you're doing something which requires the extra throughput (and you should already know if you do) there is no advantage to messing with RAID 0 on a couple of NVME or really any other drives and only negatives.

About the only way RAID 0 and NVMEs is useful is for a large scratch disc where throughput is the only thing you're concerned about. Since that's not what the setup is for you shouldn't mess with RAID 0.

Software RAID 0 will trigger repairs anytime the OS crashes. Ask me how I know ;)
If you can restore your OS at the drop of a hat and the prospect doesn’t freak you out and the benefits to you are worth it then go for it.
I should add all of the above is for intel based RAID 0 Obhave no idea how good AMDs solution is or if they’re relying on Realtek crap.

Raid0 will introduce latency, I would go the route of a single 4tb drive like WD 850X or Seagate Firecuda 530.

Back