Any good PC games that are scary as heck out?

jordan12

[H]F Junkie
Looking to get scared and try out my new 8800GTS.

Any good horror games out?

Well it wont push you new card out at all, but system shock 2 is the most frightening game ever made!!

Doom 3 has some "jump" moments.

FEAR!!!!! still the shizz for freaky shader heavy fun. :)

Yeah, I tried Doom 3. It was cool..

System shock 2, I think I tried it a long time ago, got stuck and got pissed off and uninstalled it. laugh

Was looking for something that would push my card too.

Doom 3 isn't as scary as it is startling. You probably won't be afraid to continue down corridors and such, but you'll be startled a lot because monsters can come out of anywhere, even from behind you. They can come out of the walls, ceilings, floors, or just materialize somewhere nearby.

The Suffering won't overheat your graphics card, but it's got some seriously creepy/scary stuff.

FEAR isn't scary, really. It's psychological though, which is better. Japanese horror films tend to be psychological and not a gorefest like American ones, and I think it's a better approach. Fear has to start in the mind. You have to be afraid of something taking place. The Hills Have Eyes movies do a pretty good job of balancing fear and gore.

This is about games though, not movies. :p

gore is not scary at all. most horror movies are just "boo" and lots of gore, which end up being stupid as all hell. and most horror games follow the same format. plus horror only works if you want the main characters to live, and most of the time i would rather they die and end the movie that much faster, so i can leave.

System Shock 2. Who cares if it the graphics are dated. It's probably one of the scariest games I have ever played and possibly one of the best FPS's ever made period. Run, don't walk, to your PC and reinstall it. You should at least give it another try with a game guide. Also, trun the music off. The ambient sounds of the ship are enough to creep you out.

Also, try Clive Barkers Undying.

^^ lol... "run.. don't walk.." and watch out for the cat! :p

Condemned Criminal Origins was freaky. Even scary in some parts but mostly had this creepy, freaky feel to it.

try STALKER, it has a creepy/spooky kind of atmosphere. its a really well done gameworld IMO.

yeah I agree with system shock 2, I just played it a few months ago and it stands the test of time.

undying was good up till about 3/4 of the way through, then it just got weird and stupid imho

SS2 rocks! look up SHTUP (texture upgrade project) to make it look a lot nicer and the rebirth mod improves many models

in my opinion one of the best scariest game that i have played is Condemned Criminal Origins, and also it has a very good storyline so i really reccomend playing this game

FEAR was pretty thrilling. It didn't have many startling parts (which is what I like), though it was a thriller (which I like).

That's the problem with movies these days: too many people making things jump at the screen, which may be scary for a half of a second, but thrillers creep you out for much longer than that. (Think Rear Window w/ Jimmy Stewart)

Criminal Origins will scare the fuck outta you.
Oh and its one badass game.

I can't believe how underrated it is :(

SS2 rocks! look up SHTUP (texture upgrade project) to make it look a lot nicer and the rebirth mod improves many models

yeah I actually did use that, and it did make it look nicer. It was good enough even without it though :D

Sanitarium was a good kinda freaky game. Its an older RPG though, not sure if you looking for that.

The Orphanage level in Thief 3 is the scariest level ever in a computer game.

This cannot be denied.

Here's another Condemned vote. You'll be wondering what's around every corner.
What's also nice about it is that it's only $20-25 these days and it'll look great on hardware that isn't top of the line.
That game's one of those forgotten A-list titles that went into obscurity after more games came out for the 360. The PC version was forgotten before it even came out, sadly.
Undying was a good game, but it wasn't too scary.
Doom 3 is scary for 30 minutes. Once you've killed that same "scary" imp for the 500th time you stop caring.

Condemned like others have said

Silent Hill 3 though if you want to "push" your graphic card. Has some really high texture resolutions.

Silent Hill 2 is better though (not graphically)

FEAR

Horrible horrible game. Graphics are all glitchy and I didn't like the playstyle

It's not even out yet. You played a REALLY old tech demo if your talking about last year. Here's hoping for the best for them. Indie free game that was popular enough for them to actually get a publisher to finish it.

I started playing Penumbra..but then I lost interest. I should give it another go, it didn't play that bad or look too bad either.

When school is done and I have more time...

As alredy stated F.E.A.R and expantion, also S.T.A.L.K.E.R... has scary/creepy spots.
There the best game in that scare me kind of aspect.

FEAR for sure.

The part where you come to the ladder that goes down and you turn around to go down them and you see the little girl ...

I screamed like a little girl

aliens vs predator 1 or 2. oh suuure it'll run smoothly on a ti4200.

but there's just something about that fear. that "beep" "beep" when you're low on ammo and low on health and it's dark so you don't know wether to throw a flare so you can still hear em coming and barely see or go to night vision and hopefully see them before they pounce on you.

damn i need to re-install that game.

FEAR for sure.

The part where you come to the ladder that goes down and you turn around to go down them and you see the little girl ...

I screamed like a little girl

That gave me a good chuckle. I used to save the demo on my computer and make people play it with the sound cranked up in the dark :p .

Back