Any good PC action games that is NOT First Person Shooter?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
I ask this a few years ago. I just get tired of those First person shooter PC games. Do we have any good games, that is not First person shooter?
Or perhaps an action arcade style aircraft game.

I still have old games like Virtua Fighter 2, Lode Runner 2, or Raiden
I'm happy to buy them if they are good. Any recommendation?

Have you tried Tomb Raider and/or Deus Ex? Deus Ex could be called an FPS, but it really isn't.

I just look at the screen shots of both games. Not my kind of game. Essentially it's the doom style adventure / action platform.

What happens to the days when there used to be some action shoot them up game for PC? Where did they all go? Something like this for eg

http://shmup.wikia.com/wiki/Raiden

Search for "shump" for those types of games.

What else are you looking for?

Third-person? eg: Batman Arkham games, Just Cause

Side scrolling platformers? eg: Trine

Fighting? eg: Mortal Kombat

First person but not shooting oriented? Eg: Mirror's Edge, Xenoclash

hey this Ikaruga looks very good, but is it for PC platform?. I just bought the ZXR sound blaster w/ new PC gear coming, I would like a game like that can make use of a good game like that

I also have m-audio M3-8 speaker coming

Yes. Your request was for pc games. It is available on steam.

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon.

I'm a big fan of the PS2 era titles, but really didn't like this one. Flight mechanics are just absurd.

Along similar lines I would recommend Apache Air Assault and probably War Thunder with less realistic settings if you're into MMOs.

Would also recommend Sleeping Dogs. It is 3rd person and there is shooting, but the majority of the combat is fighting with martial arts.

Devil May Cry 4
Max Payne 1-2
Just Cause 2
Gas Guzzlers Extreme

I'm trying to get into Just Cause 2 but I never have any ammo. What gives?

Have you tried Tomb Raider and/or Deus Ex? Deus Ex could be called an FPS, but it really isn't.

The Deus-Ex are FPS games. Even the very first one is. Saying "it could be called an FPS, but it really isn't." does not make much sense.

I'm trying to get into Just Cause 2 but I never have any ammo. What gives?

Damn near every guy you shoot drops a weapon/ammo, how is this possible? Unless you're trying to keep your original weapons... You gotta switch out weapons once in a while to stock up on ammo.

I love the absolute shit out of Warframe. It's fairly repetitive but the combat and movement is oh so good.

War Thunder/World of Warplanes are good for flighting combat games (with active multiplayer communities), I think War Thunder is better but World of Warplanes is more arcadey.

As far as action games go, have you tried the Mount and Blade games? Chivalry? They are middle ages action games complete with mounted combat, melee combat, archery, etc. Very fun games to play online against people.

Skyrim, i play skyrim mostly third person just to see how awesome my playable character looks. (with mods of course) lol

The Deus-Ex are FPS games. Even the very first one is. Saying "it could be called an FPS, but it really isn't." does not make much sense.
Yes, you can play it like an FPS, but as an FPS, it's not particularly good. The combat mechanics aren't solid enough to carry the game on their own, and running around gunning everyone down is about the least interesting way to approach it. If you want a shooter, there are far better options out there. I don't think that's what anyone is playing it for.

It's an fps rpg stealth action game.

Much like say, Dishonored is. You can play it how you want, guns blazing John T. Rambo style or stealthy stick to the shadows (which is generally harder but more rewarding).

War Thunder/World of Warplanes are good for flighting combat games (with active multiplayer communities), I think War Thunder is better but World of Warplanes is more arcadey.

As far as action games go, have you tried the Mount and Blade games? Chivalry? They are middle ages action games complete with mounted combat, melee combat, archery, etc. Very fun games to play online against people.

The only upside to World of Warplanes is you have unified accounts with your World of Tanks account if you play that. Other than that War Thunder is pretty much superior in all things, you can play it how you want. It has Arcade battles, historical battles and full real battles, so that is up to you.

As for Mount and Blade, I've been thinking about getting Mount and Blade: Warband just so I could give the Game of Thrones mod a go. Robbaz has been doing a series with it on youtube, good stuff

Deadly Premonition The Director's Cut one of the best games this gen.

If you like platformers, Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends blows even the great Mario out of the way IMO.

I love the absolute shit out of Warframe. It's fairly repetitive but the combat and movement is oh so good.

I have 892 hours in Warframe. 517 hours according to the dev tracker in the game actually running missions though. I agree it's tons of fun!

Max Payne 3, I thought it was a fun play through. I believe its on sale for $6.00 on newegg too.

Sleeping Dogs - L.A noire - mafia 2 - chivalry medieval warfare - trine 1&2

deadly premonition is a HORRIBLE port, practically unplayable :(

Splinter Cell......there are many.

Tomb Raider....there are several.

Dragon Age or Witcher....there are several.

Give Dust: An Elysian Tale a try. I just played through it and enjoyed every minute of it.

Sleeping Dogs - L.A noire - mafia 2 - chivalry medieval warfare - trine 1&2

deadly premonition is a HORRIBLE port, practically unplayable :(

Sadly true from what I've heard but I can wait. Durante (same guy who "fixed" Dark Souls) mod should fix that soon enough. He's already unlocked the resolution the first day it came out.

Ikaruga
Sine Mora
Intrusion 2
Capsized

Since it seems you like platformers and shooters

"Any good PC action games that is NOT First Person Shooter?"

Can those words be used in a sentance like that? I'm not sure I understand the question.

Yes, you can play it like an FPS, but as an FPS, it's not particularly good. The combat mechanics aren't solid enough to carry the game on their own, and running around gunning everyone down is about the least interesting way to approach it. If you want a shooter, there are far better options out there. I don't think that's what anyone is playing it for.

It's an fps rpg stealth action game.

Much like say, Dishonored is. You can play it how you want, guns blazing John T. Rambo style or stealthy stick to the shadows (which is generally harder but more rewarding).

Thanks for the backup on this. Both of your comments are pretty much spot on. It looks like an FPS if you just look at a screenshot, but from a gameplay perspective, it's a pretty different animal.

Ikaruga
Sine Mora
Intrusion 2
Capsized

Since it seems you like platformers and shooters

excellent recommendation.

Okay, so going to gamespot.com for video and screen capture, I went thru all the suggestions, and this is what I narrow down to:

Apache Air Assault -- looks like a good action helicopter shooting game, reminds me of Black Hawk Striker.

Devil May Cry 4 is a fighter game format that I never try before, although the review said you need a game pad

Trine reminds me of lode runner 2

Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends are quite refreshing too

Dust: An Elysian Tail -- very good game

Ikaruga <-- I found a 25 min. video that covers the whole game, very powerful

Sine Mora <-- reminds me of Jet N Gold

Intrusion 2 -- quite good, not as enrich in graphics as some of the above

Capsized -- quite good, not as enrich in graphics as some of the above

Darksiders 1 & 2 -- but I would buy Devil May Cry 4 before these 2

1) Now, I'm still not clear what Steam is eventhough wiki has somewhat unclearly explained.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_(software)

Simply put it, can I buy any of the above in a DVD or does some of the above require me to go thru Steam? And what's the benefit of Steam vs. going to Amazon and order them?

2) Does any of the above really needs a gamepad? As I use CH Products USB Joystick, it's 1 of the very few made in USA joystick in the market. And I like them better than those made in china joystick.

Back