Any gaming laptops with workstation quality?

batteriesnotincluded

[H]ard|Gawd
I have someone asking me about a gaming laptop, but he's not happy with the Asus G series (too plasticy), and I'm not familiar enough with what's out there to make any real suggestions on build quality. I had an MSI GT620 that was really well built (other than the crappy keyboard and touchpad), haven't touched a Sager, and Alienware is probably worse than the G series.

Before I just tell him to get an EliteBook or Precision, are there any gaming oriented laptops out there with the build quality you'd find in a workstation model laptop?

I had an Alienware M14x, and the build quality was good as far as PC laptops go, but not even close to a Thinkpad. As far as gaming laptops go, Alienware's seem to be the best built / least spongey keyboards, etc. but they're just not workstation quality.

Before I just tell him to get an EliteBook or Precision, are there any gaming oriented laptops out there with the build quality you'd find in a workstation model laptop?
If you're mostly looking at Elitebooks and Precisions, then don't forget to add Thinkpads (specifically the T and W-series) to that list.

I've never used a "gaming" notebook that was built with the quality of a Thinkpad. I hear Sagers come close, but I haven't used one myself.

I'd take an EliteBook or Precision (you can get something with a nice GPU and 3 year warranty from the Dell outlet around the $800 mark especially if you wait for a coupon code) over anything. Period.

I agree with the Alienware sentiment. I have an M11x R2. Very good build quality. Similar to Thinkpad in regards to frame, etc. Other pieces are lacking though (display is not that great, hinge issue that plagued earlier models, etc.). I don't regret the purchase, but pricing is high. I'd recommend checking the dell outlet with a coupon if you go that route. That's what I did and was very pleased with the result (not a blemish on it, perfect condition, no issues over past 2 yrs).

However, if you want excellent build quality and no compromise as far as "workstation" ability, I would probably avoid the Alienware line and look closely at a Thinkpad W530 with the Quadro k2000 card, which is probably going to be my next purchase. If you don't mind sandy bridge and an older GPU, might be some good deals on the W520's as well.

How about the HP Envy 15? Or the Lenovo Ideapad Y580?

I have a Malibal Lotus P150EM SE (Sager 9150/Clevo P150EM). It's probably as work station quality as you can get with a gaming laptop. I've had thinkpads, precision laptops, latitudes, etc. This is the best I've ever owned. I got mine just before the 7970/680 came out, so I'm rocking the 675 in it, but its fast as a mother. It's heavy (as workstation type laptops would be) at around 7lbs, but the screen is awesome, its quite (when not playing games), and the backlit keyboard is aweeeeesome.

I was always looking for a gaming machine that did not scream (look at me). These are really understated systems and can be purchased with NO branding on them at all.

http://www.malibal.com/boutique/pc/configurePrd.asp?idproduct=525

My MSI GT780DXR is built like a tank, and weights just about as much, it took getting rear ended at 65mph with the laptop in the trunk of my car to break it.

Back