Any games between: ELITE DANGEROUS & REBEL GALAXY?

TroyTalksNoMore

Supreme [H]ardness
I've had ELITE DANGEROUS (STEAM sale $29 // played 24 hours) for over a year & even tried it with my buddies Oculus (wow - that was fucking fabulous), BUTT - ED has some huge overhead RE: remembering all the controls + the ship leveling is a real grind...

IMO - the lack of any "story" in the game offers no real purpose to even exist in the world (whoopee - pirate, bounty hunter, explorer, miner) so I've mostly just played SP explorer mode...

I also had to buy a flight stick because KB/M & X360 pad were NFG for me. This has been a mixed blessing - allowing me to more easily fly in 3D space, but DAMMIT JIM, THERE ARE SO MANY BUTTONS!

BTW: I bought a cheap Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Flight Stick for ED & it changed the game entirely vs. KB/M or my x360 gamepad: Amazon.com: Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Flight Stick: Video Games

I've had REBEL GALAXY for a few weeks (STEAM Halloween Sale - $5 // played 3 hours) and while it does have a fairly interesting story path, you have to do a lot of unrelated side missions to make money to upgrade your ship in order to pursue the missions + leveling in this game is also a grind.

This game lacks any Y axis flight controls (KB/M is very easy to use) so you basically play the game on a frisbee model of outer space - but it is a very, very pretty version of outer space!

That said, the gameplay / mechanics get very repetitive very fast, so I DL'd Cheat Engine & figured out how to get money & bought a ship that allows me to follow the story faster & easier, but it also removed some of the "survival" fun...

REFS:

REBEL GALAXY
https://hardforum.com/threads/rebel-galaxy.1878966/
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=REBEL+GALAXY

ELITE DANGEROUS
https://hardforum.com/threads/elite-dangerous.1805220/
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ELITE+DANGEROUS

ANYWAYYYYYYYYYYYYY............

*Can you guys recommend some games that fall somewhere between: ED & RG?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
What you described is one of my dream games, but I haven't seen anything that really fits that description yet. You either have other games like Evochron Legacy which are more like Elite Dangerous (i.e. focusing much more heavily on the sandbox elements) or games like Rebel Galaxy that just simplify everything a little too much.

...I'd love to hear your thoughts on endless space when you get to it

6+ GB - turn based / bored game

im-gonna-go-itwplm.jpg

Last edited:
Heh, did you even read that it was a 4x game before downloading? Its a decent one, an improvement on the first so far that I can tell. Does the civ management well enough that I like it a bit better than galciv3 and stellaris somewhat.

I'd agree with the Colonel, its hard to find a nice mix between RG and ED. You might take a look at the Space pirates and zombies set of games, probably #2 as its somewhat like Rebel Galaxy. On the survival/building side type of game, Empyrion might interest you too.

Let me see.. What did you enjoy most? Are you open to single player experiences or do you want multiplayer? Do you want open world, or do you want mission based old school etc... ? Etc..

Here are a few suggestions...

Everspace - - Single player. Open world, "Arcade-y, non-sim" controllers meaning you'll be fine with KB/M, roguelike in some ways, recently came out with an expansion pack of new content.

Evochron Legacy - - Single/Multi. Open world, slightly more sim-like, with a more in depth universe and lots to do. Can be played in session multiplayer/co-op ; it is not a MMO like Elite Dangerous can be though. I played an earlier Evochron title and found it to be one of the deeper titles at the time; definitely of interest.

Eterium - - Here's an old school, mission based Wing Commander / Xwing style title. Story focused and single player, inexpensive and a retro throwback to another time

Pulsar: Lost Colony - - and now for something different! This is a multiplayer space sim where each of you take on a role and duty station such as Captain, Pilot, Since, Security etc... and explore the galaxy both in your ship and beam down on away team missions. Can be played solo or with less than a full bridge of 5 though, thanks to AI crew members and officers. If you ever wanted to be perched in the captain's chair on the bridge of a Star Trek style vessel or down in engineering reconfoobling the energymotron matrices, this is a great title for you.

Vendetta Online - https://vendetta-online.com/ - A favorite project, this is an indie space MMO that has been running for over a decade and is run by only a very small, yet very dedicated team. It can be played on Win/Mac/Linux as well as Android and iOS! Note this is a full MMO with twitch-ish/players skill in combat, both PVP and PVE. There are trials, but if you want the "full" subscription its $9 a month or less over time. More info on the site, but I'v supported them for awhile since they have been frequently updating their title for years; just temper your expectations.

Maybe that will get you started

Edit: I should also mention that if you're not aware of it, Star Citizen is currently in development and has exceptionally high aspirations - some feel this is a strength, others feel they're unrealistic etc.. which causes controversy and prompts discussion.

Let me urge you to check out - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/ - If you like what you see , know that in the next few days they will be having their Anniversary Sale, which usually means discounted Starter Packs for new players. Note that all you need to have full access to the game world is a "Star Citizen" game key for the public universe and a "Squadron 42" game key for the Wing-Commander / Freelancer like cinematic single player element. Any other ships you see for sale are not required and can all be acquired in game - its basically a way to crowdfund during development.

Note that neither of these are finished and it will likely be a year or more before a release version of any sort, however any game package with a "Star Citizen" key will grant you access to their Alpha test builds which at the moment has Arena Commander (a ship based combat module, PVP and PVE, solo or co-op), Star Marine (testing ground for on-foot FPS elements, using FFA, TDM etc.. and other game types), and Crusader / "Mini-public universe" which has a station/planet MMO environment where you can spawn ships, a rudimentary quest loop (pick up mission, go to location, complete missions etc), and more. Within the next several months they will be releasing Alpha 3.0 which brings forth major game systems and features into testing that to date are not present in public builds at all. Note that these are "true" Alphas, unoptimized, buggy, rough, lacking full game systems and not representitive of the finished product - so its up to you if you want to test and see some progress, but if you don't that's okay too - you can basically

If you like the idea, I suggest buying a Starter Package (especially any new member specials during the Anniversary sale) in order to get in at a discount. Then you can decide if you want to play on the Alpha clients or basically wait until closer to launch.

Last edited:
X3
Starpoint Gemini 2 , maybe.
After the 1.30 patch I can recommend No Man's Sky.. I churned quite a few hours on it before putting it down for other games.
Darkstar One
Strike Suit Zero/Infinity/Director's Cut

Xaeos - great questions & list - thx!!!!!!

==========================
Everspace - on my wishlist for a long time (waiting for a sale).
Looks a little heavy on combat vs story // characters, but I'll look for more info on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=EVERSPACE

Evochron Legacy - added to wishlist - preview video has mostly cockpit view - can you fly in 3rd person too or was that just cut scene cinematics? Again, I'll look for more info on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Evochron+Legacy

PULSAR: Lost Colony - checked youtube - not added to wishlist - lame graphics, not my style of gameplay...
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=PULSAR:+Lost+Colony

Vendetta Online - I've watched that game (and EVE ONLINE) on and off via youtube, and it looks fun, but I'm not an MMO gamer...

Star Citizen - I've been watching that game too (on & off here in the forum) and it sounds like space game nirvana, but I thought the "pre-purchase / beta" was closed. Time to pony up my $$ and check it out...

modi123 - DUDE!!! I forgot that I bought the entire X series last year!!
That is going to take some commitment to get into tho...
I'll probably start w/ X3 - X3 Beginners Guide @ youtube

Starpoint Gemini 2 - on & off my wishlist a few times...
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Starpoint+Gemini+2

youtube guy "ACG" gives a great review & is the reason I've added & removed the game a few times!
Great line: this is what you WANT space to look like...

No Man's Sky - added back to my wishlist after I read similar info RE: the last patch - just waiting for the right sale price to try this one...

Darkstar One - added to my wishlist - looks pretty good for an 11 year old game.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Darkstar+One

Strike Suit Zero - has been on my wishlist since release (waiting for a sale). I'll look for more info on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=strike+suit+zero

Finally - back to Xaeos questions!

What did you enjoy most?
Are you open to single player experiences or do you want multiplayer?
Do you want open world, or do you want mission based old school etc.?

This really made me think about what I want & this nailed it:
single player & co-op // mission based & open world // old school

Considering 1/2 of that - COD: Infinite Warfare - is currently my favorite "space" game! Not kidding, I loved that game...

If COD: Infinite Warfare, Ghost Recon Wildlands, Mass Effect & Elite Dangerous had a baby, I would buy that!

Hmmmm... I'll have to write that up for another post.

PS: I already have...

Elite Dangerous

Rebel Galaxy

The Solus Project

Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity

Sid Meier's Starships

Fractured Space

Universe Sandbox on Steam
store.steampowered.com/app/72200

It is old and only a little less complicated than Elite, but you should try out X3: Terran conflict.
I would link it all fancy like you guys did but i dunno how :p

modi123 - DUDE!!! I forgot that I bought the entire X series last year!!
That is going to take some commitment to get into tho...
I'll probably start w/ X3 - X3 Beginners Guide @ youtube

Thx TED, the X series was mentioned above...

RE: to create links here - just drag the URL / web address from one tab or browser window into the forum post & WA-LA!
~ screw around with it, you can always edit your post & then use the standard LINK tool in the post editor toolbar.
upload_2017-11-18_22-8-45.png

This is the tool to make or break links...
upload_2017-11-18_22-9-2.png

I felt Strike Suit Zero was one of my favorite HOTAS games. I loved the campaign, just wish there was more. I have been playing a lot of everspace lately, but its really twitchy so I have been using a 360 controller instead of my HOTAS.

I did not enjoy Rebel Galaxy at all. Freelancer is even better than that game.

Since you bought that HOTAS...

For more combat-oriented options, good old Freespace2 is probably the best one, IMO. There's lots of graphics update mods to modernize it.

House of the Dying Sun on steam is pretty fun. You play the bad guys, on short strike/assassination missions. Get in, blow up a target, get out before the enemy fleets get you.

It's been mentioned, but Starpoint Gemini 2 was a lot of fun for me. Definitely a game that you can pick up and noodle with once in a while after you've finished it.

Just hit STEAM & bought:

Starpoint Gemini 2 = $7.43
Darkstar One = $2.11

BTW - all the ELITE stuff is on sale @ steam now for the same prices as Humble Bundle.

Wow never knew this existed. Haven't played the game in over 10 years. I assume it works ok on modern systems?

Anybody have Everspace? It looks awesome. Does it have enough content for the $30 price?

Sure does.

You may need to enable Direct Play on Win 10 or you will get a crash on startup

Also might be worth checking out...

Wow never knew this existed. Haven't played the game in over 10 years. I assume it works ok on modern systems?

Anybody have Everspace? It looks awesome. Does it have enough content for the $30 price?

I really enjoy Everspace. It’s twitch rogue-like gameplay. You will die, a lot, but you spend credits on upgrades for one of four playable ships that persist after death. The newest update added a new playable ship, missions, and more crafting.

Back