any E.T.A for WinXP 64bits??

Koslov

[H]ard|Gawd
Does anyone knows when it is supposed to be released?
I can't find any informations regarding this

That's the IA-64 version, which has been around for some time, albeit in beta (yet you can still get the beta on an OEM HP). The x86-64 version has been pegged for 2H, if not later.

The IA-64 version was final and shipped at the same time as Windows Server 2003. While Beta's may still be around, I assure you the final version shipped in April of last year.

As for the AMD64 version, the only press release I've seen is this. The following paragraph is probably of interest:

Sept. 23, 2003
The beta version of Windows XP 64-Bit Edition for 64-Bit Extended Systems is available to MSDN® subscribers, and a final release is expected to be available in the first half of 2004. Windows Server (TM) 2003 for 64-Bit Extended Systems also is available in beta with final release expected in the first half of 2004.

That's odd, one of the companies I did some work for in years past bought a few Itanium servers over the summer and the spec sheet from HP specifically said XP-64 beta. The machine they received also had the XP beta on it.

Originally posted by Snugglebear
That's odd, one of the companies I did some work for in years past bought a few Itanium servers over the summer and the spec sheet from HP specifically said XP-64 beta. The machine they received also had the XP beta on it.

That's kind of strange...

Here is the original anouncement that XP-IA64 was released:
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2003/mar03/03-28WinXP64BitPR.asp

Of course, this was the same day (march 28th) as the Windows Server 2003 was released:
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2003/mar03/03-28WNS2003RTMPR.asp

The April date I mentioned was when the OSes, SQL-64bit and VS products were made available at retail (they were available for download and to OEMs at the prior month's release time). This info is here, but of course WinXP-IA64 was never released as a retail product and remains only available to MSDN subs and OEMs.

It doesn't look like beta versions are being ditributed by HP any more (look here or here). I don't know why they would have been shipping off beta versions durring mid summer.

Edit:
I also have a few of those HP systems (the zx2000s) that I use when checking 64bit versions of the .NET framework and other tools. The systems I got came with beta OSes, but that was almost a year ago, before the final versions of the OS were released, and I haven't aquired any new IA64's since then.

There are two versions of IA-64.
Itanium can run Windows XP 64 Bit.
The newer Itaniums (Merced?) can't run the XP version, and need the version based on Server 2003 SP1. (Which is in Beta)

AMD's x86-64 is an entirely different architecture than IA-64. They can't use XP-64 until MS finishes an x86-64 version of XP, which is many months away.

Originally posted by Ranma_Sao
There are two versions of IA-64.
Itanium can run Windows XP 64 Bit.
The newer Itaniums (Merced?) can't run the XP version, and need the version based on Server 2003 SP1. (Which is in Beta)

Let me try and clear this up...

~2001:
After XP (for x86) was released, there was a port of XP released for Itaniums, Windows XP 64bit. Thus there's a version of XP-64 based off the original release. This version ONLY worked with Itanium 1's (733 & 800?)and isn't compatible with Itanium 2's (900 & 1GHz) or the newer McKinley which also goes under the name Itanium2 (1.4GHz & 1.5GHz).

I don't normally mention that version because I don't think it's distributed any more. It's been replaced by the newer version.

~2003:
A year or two later, a another set of OSes were released (Windows Server 2003). One of the OSes in this group was Windows XP 2003 for IA64. This is the version that works on Itanium 2's (as well as the earlier chips). This version is based on the same source as the initial release of Windows Server 2003 (not Server 2003 SP1, as you suggest). This is the version Snugglebear thought was in beta, but was actually released early 1Q2003.

"Windows XP 2003 for IA64" is the current version available for IA64 systems, having replaced the old version not usable on Itanium 2's. It's based on the gold released of Windows Server 2003 and was released at the same time.

All I can say about the AMD64 releases is that it's in beta right now, with and expected release in the next 6 months.

As Snugglebear says, IA64 OSes can't be used on AM64 systems, and AMD64 OSes can't be used on IA64 systems.

just found something:

Windows XP 64-bit Edition delayed again?
Posted Wednesday, December 17, 2003 at 8:56AM EST by Jim

The Inquirer is talking about the delays in the release of Windows XP for AMD x86-64 processors this morning. When will it be available? Well, at least not before the beginning of Q2, 2004 by the looks of it.

Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Beta 1, Build 1069 was provided by Microsoft at around the time of the launch of the AMD Athlon 64 and 64 FX back in September - the question on everyone’s lips seems to be why has there been a delay of some seven months, for even a Release Candidate, of the desktop version…

Our information is that a significant amount of Microsoft development resources has been switched to focusing on rolling out Windows XP Service Pack 2, and this seems to be shaping up to be one of the most significant Service Packs that Microsoft has released.
Is it just me, or do you think Intel is probably pretty pleased with these delays? Check it out.

Back