Any discounted upgrade for Vista Ultimate users to Windows 7 ?

Just wondering if there will be any discounted upgrades particularly for Vista Ultimate users to help them migrate to Windows 7.

Well before people start thinking this is another freebie whiners thread, please read here to udnerstand at least some of the valid reasons why Vista Ultimate users would be upset and dissapointed with Ultimate as it never lived up to the expectations.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=806&tag=rbxccnbzd1

There has also been many complaints by Vista users why there should be an easier upgrade for Vista ultimate users in this more recent article survey.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=4347

So my point is for Ultimate users such as myself who paid a premium ( retail on the launch day no less ) but got short changed, we should at least get a cheaper upgrade at least to migrate to Windows 7 Professional ..... Microsoft should at least own up to it's broken promise for Vista Ultimate.

Makes people like me wonder why we even bother buying original when Microsoft don't do right by their customers. Hopefully there will be some easier migration for people in my situation or people may start resorting to other measures to recompensate themselves :D *cough cough Pirate Bay ;)

I purchased 4 retail licenses for Ultimate on launch and I got everything I expected. Media Center and the ability to join domains. Vista will be out for for 3 years when 7 gets launched, i don't feel shorted at all...
Just wondering if there will be any discounted upgrades particularly for Vista Ultimate users to help them migrate to Windows 7.

Well before people start thinking this is another freebie whiners thread, please read here to udnerstand at least some of the valid reasons why Vista Ultimate users would be upset and dissapointed with Ultimate as it never lived up to the expectations.

There has also been many complaints by Vista users why there should be an easier upgrade for Vista ultimate users in this more recent article survey.

So my point is for Ultimate users such as myself who paid a premium ( retail on the launch day no less ) but got short changed, we should at least get a cheaper upgrade at least to migrate to Windows 7 Professional ..... Microsoft should at least own up to it's broken promise for Vista Ultimate.

Makes people like me wonder why we even bother buying original when Microsoft don't do right by their customers. Hopefully there will be some easier migration for people in my situation or people may start resorting to other measures to recompensate themselves :D *cough cough Pirate Bay ;)

Thank you for your donation to Microsoft so that Windows 7 could come out earlier.

Now bend over again.

Thank you for your donation to Microsoft so that Windows 7 could come out earlier.

Now bend over again.
Exactly what is Microsoft doing wrong by releasing 7 this fall? If you take the time to research previous release dates, this time scale is not out of the ordinary at all. Also keep in mind that Microsoft is releasing the business/workstation/professional grade OSes at the same time as Home, so that may throw you a bit. 95-NT4-98-me-2000-xp ... other than XP to Vista, it was always a few years apart.

Now bend over again.
Last time I checked, Linux was free, and would run on the same hardware as Vista and Windows 7. No one is forcing you to use Windows, so it's actually quite ignorant to make such posts. It also shows short sightedness on your end, because of past release schedules. If you don't like Windows, and you don't feel like paying a King's ransom for Apple hardware, you are free to use Linux. Problem solved for you.

Last time I checked, Linux was free, and would run on the same hardware as Vista and Windows 7. No one is forcing you to use Windows, so it's actually quite ignorant to make such posts. It also shows short sightedness on your end, because of past release schedules. If you don't like Windows, and you don't feel like paying a King's ransom for Apple hardware, you are free to use Linux. Problem solved for you.
On top of that, nobody is requiring anyone to upgrade. Unless you have a lower end or budget system, you're not going to notice much of a boost going from Vista to 7 anyways.

Amazing how many people bitch n moan about MS operating systems. Vista is a great OS and 7 is even better. $100-$300 is a steal for a piece of software we use every day, all day, FOR 3+ YEARS. It's not like it's a game where we get 6-10 hours of playability out of it, get tired of it and delete it for $50. It's an operating system and a damn good one. Get over it. And this goes to all of you little cheap stealing, pirating cawksukkers too.

Did you even read the linked articles i quoted even? You are totally missing the point here.

Vista Ultimate users were falsely promised extras which never amounted to much, and there is evidence Microsoft so conveniently changed the wording to hide what a lame duck promise that was.

So all i am getting at is, maybe ultimate users at least deserve a cheaper upgrade to windows 7. Oh wait, there isn't any !

Now, that frustration has turned to anger after Microsoft offered its pre-order program for Windows 7. Through July 11, Microsoft is offering a steep discount for those moving to cheaper versions of Windows 7, but nothing for those who want to stay on Ultimate. Under the terms of Microsoft's discount pre-order program, users can buy an upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium or Professional at roughly half the list price, but the Ultimate version is offered at the full $219 price.

"Vista Ultimate owners have already been ripped off once in paying for basically worthless 'Extras,'" she said. Now to rub salt in the wound, MS is leaving them out...for some reason best only known to them, when offering a reasonable upgrade price for Windows 7."

Some are taking the attitude of "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me" and going with the pre-order and just downgrading to Windows 7 Pro or Home Premium. That's doable, but those who go that route will need to do a clean installation of their operating system--a process that involves backing up data and then reinstalling applications.

Among those leaning that way is Steven Wilczynski of Chicago.

"When I bought my PC about 18 months ago it came with a free upgrade to Vista Ultimate," he said in an e-mail. "I don't think it would be worthwhile to spend $219 in October to upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate."

Others are still trying to figure out what to do.

"I have two copies of Vista Ultimate and I certainly do not want to do a clean install of (Windows) 7 Professional or pay the full price for 7 Ultimate," said Richard Wilbur, who works in clinical research in Clearwater, Fla., and notes he has been loyal to Microsoft since the days of MS-DOS. "They should be giving us the upgrade free considering the broken promises surrounding Vista Ultimate."

For its part, Microsoft isn't being too helpful. While the company hasn't announced any discounts for Vista Ultimate owners, it's not ruling them out either. But users have only until July 11 to take advantage of Microsoft's pre-order discount on Windows 7 Professional or Home Premium.

"This is the first of the offers and there will be more to come, but we can't get into specifics on any of that yet," a Microsoft representative told CNET News.

Source: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10277506-56.html

Amazing how many people bitch n moan about MS operating systems. Vista is a great OS and 7 is even better. $100-$300 is a steal for a piece of software we use every day, all day, FOR 3+ YEARS. It's not like it's a game where we get 6-10 hours of playability out of it, get tired of it and delete it for $50. It's an operating system and a damn good one. Get over it. And this goes to all of you little cheap stealing, pirating cawksukkers too.

Another person that just does not get it and doesn't bother reading. I never said Vista sucked, i only said Vista Ultimate users were short changed. This is why i have been stressing for ultimate users only.... And how there is no upgrade path for vista ultimate users to stay on windows 7 ultimate without having to pay the full price. Also i bought the original ultimate no less, so you calling me names is uncalled for, so go shove it.

Anyone not bothered to understand the issue or if your a troll, please don't bother replying :D

On top of that, nobody is requiring anyone to upgrade. Unless you have a lower end or budget system, you're not going to notice much of a boost going from Vista to 7 anyways.

I disagree. Windows 7 is adding some important things like solid state drive triming which is an important feature for SSDs to maintain their peak performance. Also more monitor calibration capabilities for the OS, multicore cpu enhancements for a smoother ride. If these things don't matter ( putting aside the new UI and other setting adjustments ) to you then yeah you would be right.

Everything windows 7 is bringing is posted here

http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/windows_7.asp

Last edited:
I disagree. Windows 7 is adding some important things like solid state drive triming which is an important feature for SSDs to maintain their peak performance. Also more monitor calibration capabilities for the OS, multicore cpu enhancements for a smoother ride. If these things don't matter ( putting aside the new UI and other setting adjustments ) to you then yeah you would be right.
In my testing on a multi core cpu, there were no performance boost in games in Win 7 over Vista. The benchmarks were nearly identical, so the better multi core support I can't see yet. Sure, Win 7 may have some SSD improvements in terms of control and turning off defragmenting, but a driver is a driver, they could easily be offered on Vista. Anyways, we're not talking 'ground breaking' improvements that make you a moron to not upgrade. It's not that much better. I feel I am very neutral between Vista and 7, testing the OS with a critical eye. There are no massive gains on fast PC's. I feel It's worth the upgrade on budget PC's though, like I stated.

Last edited:
You are totally missing the point here.

Vista Ultimate users were falsely promised extras which never amounted to much, and there is evidence Microsoft so conveniently changed the wording to hide what a lame duck promise that was.

So all i am getting at is, maybe ultimate users at least deserve a cheaper upgrade to windows 7. Oh wait, there isn't any !

And YOU are missing the point that, despite your protestations to the contrary, that's actually just a whine, your supposed 'sources' are a whine, and the only person who has in any way 'hurt' you here is yourself. Straight and simple, if those Ultimate Extras are/were so goddammed important to you then you went and purchased something upon the basis of a hazy, non-defined notion of what 'might' come along for it in the future, rather than upon the basis of what the bloody thing actually was, contained, and delivered, then you kinda had rocks in your head. That ain't the way to choose a product. Not ANY product!

Ultimate Extras were NEVER anything other than a really, really bad idea! Microsoft never made any specific promises regarding them whatsoever, and they've not failed on any semblance of 'obligation' they may have held regarding the things. They actually DELIVERED about 3 or 4 of the things before it became unavoidably obvious what a completely stupid idea it'd been from the outset.

There was NO market 'hole' to be covered by the exercise. It was an exercise in trying to fill a gap which didn't exist. There were (and are) any number of gimmicky gadgets already available to add to Windows, and there was never either need nor purpose to having them as part of the Windows product itself.

Some dopey dude in marketting, at some point in time, decided that it might be a good idea to have 'branded gadgets' for the fat cat folk with fat cat wallets who like to feel 'superior' about their fat cat purchases. That idea wasn't thought through well, because it took no time at all for us to find out that nobody wanted to actually MAKE the things, and that anyways hardly anybody wanted to USE them!

You (and anybody else spouting this rubbish) simply have to accept that if you made a 'big purchase' based on hairy-airy speculatings, and got burnt over it, then it's your own fault. Deal with it. Learn from it.

Microsoft has learned from it. They've fulfilled their obligation to ALL of us. They no longer make ridiculous promises based upon poorly thought through ideas. They've altered the product linup to reflect hat we all truly want, rather than making the ridiculous assumption that 'business' doesn't and can't want the 'multimedia' facilities.

They got 'better' at presenting stuff.

People like you need to get 'better' at shopping!

(This article has been an opinion pice, and it in no way represents an official stance taken by [H]ard Forum or of its staff and management.)

:D

You Microsuck employees can say what you want. There should have been something for the people that bought Vista Ultimate. I thought I'd seen fanboisim in the video card forum but sheeesh.

I hear you Moogle Stiltzkin. I hear you. So do a lot of people. A lot more than the few extremely vocal Microsoft apologists/employees who visit this forum.

However, I can tell you from having this fight, about 3 months ago right here on the [H], that you might as well quit now. They will refuse to understand what your saying and come up with the wildest most obtuse reasons why people who bought Vista Ultimate got their money's worth to the penny. You will only succeed in exasperating yourself.

It was your fault for buying Vista Ultimate in the first place. You should have been a better shopper. :rolleyes:

No one is debating on whether or not Ultimate was worth the price. THAT'S the point you are missing! I certainly wouldn't have been running Ultimate on my systems if I had to pay for each license. The Ultimate Extras never panned out to be anything worthwhile.

The point you are missing, is this: No one else forced you to get Ultimate. Very few people needed MCE features AND domain support. You made your decision, so that's life. Maybe this time around, if you are going to use Windows 7, you'll take your time to find out what version might be the best for you.

Let me point out something so ridiculous, that it amazes me that it happens on a forum of people who should be educated, intelligent readers. All you morons who like to throw around the comments about Microsoft employees and apologists....don't you see the irony? You do EXACTLY the same, on the other side of the fence? You claim that some just defend MS at all costs...how about your bashing of them, at all costs, even if it defies common sense and logic? It's quite possibly the most ridiculous "dispute" on these boards. You bash a product (or company) for a nonsensical reason, and then have the nerve to flame the people who don't agree, or give logical, factual information to rebuff your points. Nice.

It was your fault for buying Vista Ultimate in the first place. You should have been a better shopper.

Spot on sir! A lot of people simply went with Ultimate because it was the 'best' version available. They wanted the best, they paid for it, and they got it. No reason to cry about it now with big alligator tears. About 4 seconds of research would have revealed that Ultimate was only for people who needed domain logins and MCE (which can easily be replaced by a huge number of other apps).

You sound like you are trying to convince us, woo us over to your point-of-view. The reality is, noone here has the power to change your situation or the situation of other Ultimate purchasers. Goodluck in your campaign though!

Whatever reason you dream up to make yourself feel better about theft, doesn't make it stop being theft.

You made the purchase but now because of buyers remorse you want a freebie as do those whiners on the zdnet blogs. If you bought Ultimate because of the Extras well I'll just play the worlds smallest violin for you.

I bought my copy of Ultimate for my desktop because I wanted MCE and Domain support and all the other stuff. I got what I paid for. I considered the Extras a bonus but I never really paid attention to them.

So you have three options now:

1. Stick with Vista
2. Purchase Windows 7
3. Move to Apple or Linux

If you choose number 2 do us all a favor and make sure you buy the one you really want this time.

Copyright violation != theft.
True, I give you that.

But the statement I made still stands if you replace theft with any immoral/illegal act; copyright infringement, theft, assault, homicide, etc... My point was that it doesn't matter what reason he pulls out of his ass to give himself a warm and fuzzy feeling, it doesn't change reality.

IMO Ultimate was never about the extras...it was that you had the features of Business and Home Premium bundled into one.

If you bought it for any other reason than that you are not the brightest bulb IMO. From day 1 I knew the ultimate extras would never amount to much.

This time round with Win7 there is very little reason to go to ultimate at all, Professional should be all power users and enthusiasts need.

True, I give you that.

But the statement I made still stands if you replace theft with any immoral/illegal act; copyright infringement, theft, assault, homicide, etc... My point was that it doesn't matter what reason he pulls out of his ass to give himself a warm and fuzzy feeling, it doesn't change reality.

Sort of an odd statement when intent and reason are a fairly significant part of the law already. Homicide isn't homicide when the killing is done in self defense, for example.

Crimes are often partly defined by reason and intent.

Yo can get a discounted home or professional. No, you can't do an in place upgrade over ultimate but with a new OS you really shouldn't anyways. A clean install is always the best way to go.

I do own Vista Ultimate. There have been extras. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean you got jipped. I don't recall microsoft ever saying what those extras would be.
But I never got it for the extras.

Archer75 has the 'point' of it all.

This time around there is really no need for anyone to choose Retail Ultimate, and Microsoft have only included that item amongst the catalogue for the appeasement of those folk who've more money than sense, The ONLY features included in Ultimate over and above Professional are the features relevent to multi-national or large corporations, and anybody who actually has 'need' for those would or should be getting them in a volume licensing deal rather than as a standalone purchase. Ultimate Retail Windows 7 is really the 'Enterprise' version in a standalone box. Something useful ONLY to the ego of those misguided folk who think a possession with a 'better' name somehow makes them 'superior'.

That ain't my bias and prejudice speaking there. It's the reality of the product line structure. Windows 7 Ultimate Retail is a product with no useful practical purpose whatsoever to distinguish it from the 'Professional' option..

Vista Ultimate users can 'upgrade' using so-called 'lesser' versions. Doing so will mean a custom clean install rather than an over the top upgrade install. No reason whatsoever for Ultimate owners to whine about being 'excluded', because they're not really being so.

I dunno, BitLocker and the MUI interface pack could be useful for a fair number of people.

/ignores most of the idiotic flame posts :rolleyes:

@bigdogchris:

Well just have to wait for more reviews :D But i tell you what, anytime i get a new SSD when prices fall thats when i will be certain to get Windows 7 since it's a must.

@wrangler:

I don't let the flames bug me. It just helps keep this thread at the top to bring more awareness to the unfairness for ultimate users. So flame on >:D

You made the purchase but now because of buyers remorse you want a freebie as do those whiners on the zdnet blogs. If you bought Ultimate because of the Extras well I'll just play the worlds smallest violin for you.

I bought my copy of Ultimate for my desktop because I wanted MCE and Domain support and all the other stuff. I got what I paid for. I considered the Extras a bonus but I never really paid attention to them.

So you have three options now:

1. Stick with Vista
2. Purchase Windows 7
3. Move to Apple or Linux

If you choose number 2 do us all a favor and make sure you buy the one you really want this time.

I pick option 4.

Create a forum thread on hardocp to gain support and build awareness surrounding this debacle affecting ultimate users and for Microsoft to own up :D

Last edited:
I pick option 4.

Create a forum thread on hardocp to gain support and build awareness surrounding this debacle affecting ultimate users and for Microsoft to own up :D

lolz!

Noticed what a successful campaign that's proving to be?

:D

Last edited:
I'm going to start my own thread about an equally appalling debacle. I spent $6.00 last night at the Phillies game for crab fries, and down, near the bottom, I found a burnt french fry. I'm going to go on a crusade until Chickie & Pete's gives me a discount on my next order of crab fries.

Sound ridiculous? That's the point. See the similarities? Yeppers!

Exactly what is Microsoft doing wrong by releasing 7 this fall? If you take the time to research previous release dates, this time scale is not out of the ordinary at all. Also keep in mind that Microsoft is releasing the business/workstation/professional grade OSes at the same time as Home, so that may throw you a bit. 95-NT4-98-me-2000-xp ... other than XP to Vista, it was always a few years apart.

My comment was pointed at the absurd Ultimate edition price structure and those who pay the absurd prices, not at the Windows product or the release schedule. I've already preordered Win7 Business, and I purchased Vista Business from my college for cheap. I've always been a Windows user, and there was no need for name-calling.

Last edited:
For me, Vista Ultimate was like having a party and busting open the Pinata, only to have two peices of candy fall out.

I didn't buy Vista Ultimate, I got it through my school's IT dept. I guess I did buy it, through tech fees.

I know that if I had paid for it directly, I would be leaning towards Apple right now.

A few problems I faced with Vista:

1. I wound up needing SolidWorks, which would not run on Vista at the time I got it.

2. Abyssmal game performance.

3. Frequent video driver crashes.

4. Hard drive thrashing.

5. Scratchy noise heard through speakers.

I wound up dual-booting Win XP just for SolidWorks. I soon came to the conclusion that Win XP might not be as flashy, but is in general faster and more stable than Vista.

So, for people who might have gone out and bought Ultimate, and had a similar experience to mine, I can definitely understand how they would be upset and want a cheaper upgrade, if not free.

That said, I think it is in Microsoft's best interest to make the upgrade to 7 cheaper because from what I've seen there are a great many people who have also had a bad experience with Vista, and a large percentage of those people are early adopters. I think it would be smart to dangle a cheap upgrade in front of the early adopters in order to gain sales momentum: the more people out there with Win 7 saying good things about it and showing it to friends, the more people there are who will be willing to buy it.

Or... call the people soured over early adoption of Vista whiners and jack the prices up to kingdom come.

In the end, I agree with the OP, though I don't see why he's complaining since it seems to me he has gotten everything he paid for(whereas Vista was just a huge waste of time and effort for me).

Can MS give me some of my wasted time back? Pls?

I just installed Win 7 last night.

Install went very smoothly, I like how it automatically finds drivers.

One small issue so far, Trine runs smooth enough, but hiccups noticeably more than it did in XP.

most of the problems you had with Vista(2,3 and 5) have nothing to do with Vista. They were driver issues. 1 is a software dev issue. They need to update their software. I blame them, not Vista. They had plenty of time to update it. But most software developers used this excuse to get you to buy new versions of their software.

A new OS generally requires new drivers. Most hardware companies came into existence while XP was out and had only coded for that OS. Vista changed the driver model, it needed to change, but it took these hardware vendors time to write quality drivers.

In modern day benchmarks Vista is faster than XP for most tasks, including gaming. Most people just tried it at first and went back to XP. They now praise 7 but it's advantage is it uses the same driver model as Vista. The hardware vendors don't have to learn how to write new drivers. As a result 7 will have a better reception simply because of that.

People also forget that the same issues came about when XP was released. But then most people started using computers with XP so weren't paying attention to launch issues.

@PiratePowWow

Not trying to be too critical but you said you needed SolidWorks which wasn't supported on Vista at the time. And you still upgraded? If you decided to go down the Vista path and knew from the start that you were going to have problems running a critical app then I don't know how Microsoft is to blame for your decision to do something that you knew from the start was going to be a problem.

As for Windows 7 and Trine have what drivers were you using? I haven't gamed on XP in years and haven't wanted or needed to. Gaming on Vista and now 7 has been very solid.

Ridiculous. MS owes you a discount, because you weren't pleased with Ultimate Extras? You brought Ultimate because of EXTRAS? I'm sorry, but if someone says I will give you something extra if you buy this, and doesn't tell you what the extra is, and you buy then get mad because the extra is not what you expected, you are just dumb. Ultimate was/is for domain and VMC, anyone who buys something because of unspecified extras deserves what they get.

Ridiculous. MS owes you a discount, because you weren't pleased with Ultimate Extras? You brought Ultimate because of EXTRAS? I'm sorry, but if someone says I will give you something extra if you buy this, and doesn't tell you what the extra is, and you buy then get mad because the extra is not what you expected, you are just dumb. Ultimate was/is for domain and VMC, anyone who buys something because of unspecified extras deserves what they get.

You're right... but what makes the OP look even more silly are most of the key features in Ultimate are pretty straight forward.

SO BASICALLY: He wants Modern Warfare 2 to come at a discount because it has all the features he wanted in Modern Warfare 1.

back@heatlesssun

I had Vista before I needed SolidWorks.
Trine was the very first thing I did after the install of Win 7; I let windows find the driver for me, so I don't know which it was.

back@Archer75

I agree. Except for hard drive thrashing, everything on my list probably has little to do with Vista itself.
Still, those are not issues I expected to have, particularly after reading the Vista fanboy(wtf?) posts on this forum from supposedly enlightened people.

Vista was a complete waste of time for me and if I had paid good money for it directly out of my pocket, I would be furious. To this day I'm upset that I wasted so much of my time and effort trying to make it work.

Gaming sucked on Vista for me and modern benchmarks are irrelevent because 95% of the time they do not reflect my hardware. I'm sure Vista runs great on new high-end hardware; this means nothing to me.

Graphic drivers did get more stable, but they could never come close to the performance of XP. SupCom got almost as good as XP after a game patch(not graphic drivers). Company of Heroes never came close.

Are we really going to travel back in time and list "hard drive thrashing" as a negative for Vista? Really? Didn't you ever bother to ask why, or what it was doing? I'll give you a hint...it's why most people running Vista would tell you it is faster than XP. I'm not even going to bother addressing your comments about gaming benchmarks with respect to video drivers. You clearly didn't look into Vista seriously in the past two years, when your comments became incorrect and outdated.

On another note, do we really need another troll accusing anyone who defends Vista with factual information as a measily Vista fanboy? It's getting to unseen levels of ignorance now, that if you don't agree with other's thoughts on Vista, and you don't agree with the factual information that exists in their support, you have to label them MS employees, or fanboys. It's about as sad and pathetic as a counter-argument could possibly get.

Are we really going to travel back in time and list "hard drive thrashing" as a negative for Vista? Really? Didn't you ever bother to ask why, or what it was doing? I'll give you a hint...it's why most people running Vista would tell you it is faster than XP. I'm not even going to bother addressing your comments about gaming benchmarks with respect to video drivers. You clearly didn't look into Vista seriously in the past two years, when your comments became incorrect and outdated.

On another note, do we really need another troll accusing anyone who defends Vista with factual information as a measily Vista fanboy? It's getting to unseen levels of ignorance now, that if you don't agree with other's thoughts on Vista, and you don't agree with the factual information that exists in their support, you have to label them MS employees, or fanboys. It's about as sad and pathetic as a counter-argument could possibly get.

Take a chill pill, you have no idea what you are talking about.

You calling me a liar? lazy? incompetent? stupid?

Most reasonable people would assault you if you said that to their face, especially in front of others.

Win 7 Update:

Got latest Nv recommended vid drivers.

Trine working perfectly now(such an awesome game)

CoD:WaW running beautifully

Company of Heroes was a bit tricky, lagged terribly at first, but I think I found out why. I remember Dx10 really killing performance, so I always had to put it on Dx9 in Vista. They got rid of that option and I believe the Dx10 features are now listed as "Ultra" in each applicable category. After making sure nothing was on Ultra, CoH runs smooth as butter. As good as XP? I'd say the difference is negligible.

Back