Any disadvantages to waiting?

elrechazao

Limp Gawd
considering a new build - would like to wait for windows 7 to be standard and hopefully see how that launch works, how driver support works out, etc. i assume that waiting until october/november for a new build would see further progress in vidcards, bigger hard drives for today's money, processor price drops, etc.

does anyone think that we are a valley in certain prices (for things like RAM) at this point?

considering a new build - would like to wait for windows 7 to be standard and hopefully see how that launch works, how driver support works out, etc. i assume that waiting until october/november for a new build would see further progress in vidcards, bigger hard drives for today's money, processor price drops, etc.

does anyone think that we are a valley in certain prices (for things like RAM) at this point?

I seem to think so on ram specifcly on other things not so much. Waiting for windows 7 to be standard will be about 2-3 years do you want to wait that long.... i would build the system and use the rc untill they release the official

DDR2 prices will probably level off and then begin to increase as DDR3 ramps up.

This may not be a problem for you.

Other components tend to be pretty static as companies roll out new models at the same price points. Hard drives pricing is pretty good right now, steady decline downward in cents/GB over the past......long time. Don't know how much further they can go really, sub five cents/GB would be expected later this year if the trend continues (it seems fairly linear in my head, i haven't taken actual data points or anything)

Overall though, to the very general question "any disadvantages to waiting", I would say there are none. Technology will continue to improve, prices will change, etc etc, this is assuming things stay the same and we don't discover that electronics are from the devil and we need to destroy them all tomorrow.

Technology will continue to improve, prices will change, etc etc, this is assuming things stay the same and we don't discover that electronics are from the devil and we need to destroy them all tomorrow.

please keep me appraised of any developments on this front :D

please keep me appraised of any developments on this front :D
I heard the mormons were making a push for it, but they haven't gained any traction yet. ><
Guai los don't know what guai lo means so therefore you are not a guai lo.
shhhh, they will begin to suspect, i must maintain my cover in order to learn as much about their culture in preparation for the invasion! :eek:

I heard the mormons were making a push for it, but they haven't gained any traction yet. ><

shhhh, they will begin to suspect, i must maintain my cover in order to learn as much about their culture in preparation for the invasion! :eek:

The mormons I know are ten times the techies that I am, so I doubt that one. I'm on the lookout for amish commandos personally.

lol. i always know where to go for a good laugh. a microsoft rep just made a presentation about windows 7 today that i attended so i got some good info on what to expect with windows 7. there will be vouchers for windows 7 if you buy a machine with vista on it. so if you cant wait can always build a machine with vista on it and use your windows 7 voucher. one thing im not sure about is if thats only oems or if you get the voucher if you only buy a windows vista os. didnt get a chance to ask him that question or not. maybe someone knows the answer.

waiting could put an i7 out of reach since there are talks of the 920 being disco'd and no low end offering will be taking it's place.

Win7 is pretty solid right now anyways, the RC has garnered how many downloads already?

As for waiting... if you have a system you're satisfied with then keep waiting; I personally am not gonna do anything til 32nm comes out.

Waiting can only get you a better system at a lower price by normal standards. HOWEVER, we are in a recession and prices are bound to go up once we get out of it so keep that in mind.

Back