Any descent movie players for osx?

IceDigger

[H]F Junkie
I have tried using mplayer and also vlc and they are horrible with tracking. I was used to media player classic for windows and it was very very good at tracking and smooth as butter. It seems like the osx video players are horrible compared mpc.

So are there any movie players for osx comparable to mpc?

Check out VLC and Niceplayer. Niceplayer will play VDVDs, which is what I use it for.

I tried out vlc as stated above and did not like it.

I'll try out niceplayer.

Theres nothing wrong with videolan's tracking. Grab the slider and drag to where you want to go and let go. (with versions before 8.6c) with 8.6c you can just click the line anywhere you want.

Theres nothing wrong with videolan's tracking. Grab the slider and drag to where you want to go and let go. (with versions before 8.6c) with 8.6c you can just click the line anywhere you want.

yep, i agree. i've never had any problems at all with VLC's tracking.

As a three-day-newbie to OSX, I'm finding myself trying everything anyone suggests, so far I'm diggin' niceplayer

Some of the videos are distorted in vlc too. They weren't distorted in windows mpc.

I've been using Mac OS for about 8 months now, and never heard of niceplayer until this thread. I really like it so far.

I used to have Perian. It screwed with iMovie08 AVCHD abilities.
Now I just have VLC + VLC Nightly.

I can watch 1080p bluray h264 compressed eassssily :)

Never had any major complaints about VLC, it does have it's issues but they are minor for me.

IceDigger, when you talk about the video being corrupt, are you playing WMVs? I notice that if I skip around a WMV the video will get all jacked up for a few moments.

I have to admit that it does tend to crash (I use the nightlies, as well).

To be honest, I like it better than QuickTime+Flip4Mac for HD-WMVs, since for some reason that combo wants to Pre-load the entire WMV before it plays. (not cool when it's on a network and you just need to verify a scene or some audio :( )

I'm checking out Niceplayer now, it looks ok but for some reason the Xine plugin won't install properly

Quicktime /w perian is pretty good but if you watch a lot of video in mastroka containers then it really starts to suck as it has to preload the entire video into memory before you can play it with subtitles. For some reason this seems to take /forever/ even with small 200-300mb mkvs. If you are going to try VLC make sure you grab a nightly build as I found the last stable release to be anything but stable. Sadly it doesn't support ass yet for subtitles which most of the stuff I watch uses. :\

Tried the nightly build but every time I open up a video with it it crashes. I deleted the previous versions preferences beforehand.

Back