Any descent 3 fans here?

earthscore

Gawd
I tried to start playing a couple of months ago, but since only experienced people played i was horrible at it and quit, but i think i might be ready to start again.(if i can find the disk ;) ) any descent 3 players here?

I played it, but never finished the game. The game looked pretty good back in the day, but the cinematic sequences were worse than those in Decent II. That I never could understand.

Descent I and II I played all the time. The third one was just missing something.

Sir-Fragalot said:
Descent I and II I played all the time. The third one was just missing something.

Yep, Descent 1 and 2 were REALLY fun, but third lacked something.

XBLiNKX said:
i have only played the first one.

I only played the first one since all I had was a P60 and Decent II killed my machine pretty much. However on your school lan (before our admins knew what we were doing) we were running 4 games of 8 players each pretty much 24/7. I still remember quad level 4 lasers being the best thing sice sliced bread. Fusion cannon was bitchen if you got good at it. Still remember being cloaked, invulnerable, with a mega missle and running directly into your friends and launching. Funny stuff.

However it got to a point that the only way we could kill each other was to take cheap shots in on somebody elses dogfight. That was when decent sorta took a dive for us.

New version of decent is being (re)written to support openGL and TCP/IP. When this come out I think my friends who are now scattered across the country will be able to come together for a few hours to enjoy the old days

-tReP

The third one seemed like all the did was try to refine the graphics of second one and not change much. I never finished the third one. :(

I majored in descent in college
some people just couldn't grasp the 3 dimensional aspect of the game

i still have the disks, finished D1-3. Multiplayer was FUN, when there was people - i even bought the addon to get the black pyro-which was lacking so i stuck to the original.

Sadly I wish I could still play it, but i broke my joystick in frustration during multiplayer.

Yeah. I played through 1 and 2 repeatedly but never bothered to finish 3. It was also way too difficult in a few spots.

Descent 1 was one of my first multiplayer games via modem. Great fun.

I played the crap out of that game back in the day on my Uncles then new Packardbell 486 PC :). I loved that game!!

Was that Decent: Free Space? That game rocked. I had to buy a Cyborg 3D just for it. :cool:

I remember getting it bundled with something, i think an ati card back in the day. I remember it having something to do with flying around or something, but i never really figured it out :) I think I still have the cd's, I could give it a shot.

nah, freespace was free-range space combat, AFAIK.

I loved D3 as well for the smooth graphics and cool weapons...but yeah...D1/2 had something on it in the story/plot. I always felt like I JUST barely made it out of a mine when that shit blew up. D3 didn't scare me like that.

i loved that game. played it on a MAC back in the day and dont have the disk for my pc. mabe i sould get it and re play it.

I played Descent religiously. It was pretty much the only game I played on PC until it died. Easily my favorite series of all time, not only because of the gameplay, but because of the community that grew up around it. Any DBB'ers on here?

Critofur said:
I've got a SpaceOrb 360...
Nice. I had a friend that used that, and another that used the Logitech Cyber-whatever.

I played D1 & D2, then tried D3. found it too hard so I put it away. Last year, for some unknown reason, I got D3 back out and forced myself to play it. I got into it after a few hours and played it all the way through. Great game!!

I don't think many people realized how awesome the S3 Virge video card really was for it's time, unless they played the 3D accelerated version of Descent on it ~ wasn't that before VQuake or 3DFx?

i loved the descent series. doom, descent and quake were good times. what always amazed me was the ai in descent. this was some of the best ai i have ever seen, even to this day. iirc, the one who wrote the ai went to epic and helped with unreal's ai.

I played Descent 1,2 and 3
Myself and a friend where 2 and 3 of alot of the ladder matches we played on

i still have my huge ass joystick wing commander or what ever it was...hehe still a great game

i need to find my descent games again. i do miss them

Critofur said:
I don't think many people realized how awesome the S3 Virge video card really was for it's time, unless they played the 3D accelerated version of Descent on it ~ wasn't that before VQuake or 3DFx?

I did. I had that. The 3D accelerated version worked really well on that card. Looked better than the 3DFX versions although didn't run quite as fast. Back then they had to code directly for the chipset that the game was run on. In which case 3DFX got most of the support, then when Direct X was released all that went downhill and now everything is standardized.

Back