Any decent games you only need one hand for?

Draax

Supreme [H]ardness
I know ... I know ... sounds bad.

However my wife and I just had our first child, and for those who don't know, newborns sleep A LOT. I need some decent games that only require one hand to play, so I can hold my daughter and have something to do to pass the time.

I have been playing a lot of FTL but I need something new. Any ideas?

Turn based strategy games.

You can play most RTS games one handed. Although not competitively but for single player should be fine.

Most RPGs are playable with mouse only as well (not action oriented ones like Skyrim, Witcher 2, etc).

Another option is actually to use a controller. You can actually cradle a baby using just your arms (at least from my experience) while still having both hands on the controller.

Legend of grimrock might fit the bill but for me once my son was born games have taken a far back seat to him. I couldn't imagine trying to play games and holding him...sorry not trying to preach at ya.

haha, gaming with sleeping kids. Mine didn't sleep too often, but any turned base RPG with a pause feature even up to Dragon age origins works. Just set one of your mouse keys to the pause button.

You might look into getting one of those baby slings where you kinda "wear" the kid. Would free up your hands. :)

Match 3 games can be good one-handed time wasters.

Might Magic: Clash of Heroes
Puzzle Quest 1 & 2

Simple but fun.

Adventure games would work best for this.

Games like Syberia, The Longest Journey, Gabriel Knight (if you want to go back that far).

you can play almost any good adventure game with just the mouse mainly.

Pretty sure I was able to almost everything in Company of Heroes without using the keyboard. Honestly I'd put some music on and read a book instead. Can't imagine the language and themes of most games today would be too great on a newborn.

torchlight 2 can easily be played with one hand if your mouse has the buttons, pretty sweet game better than diablo 3 imho...plus its on sale on steam atm for 10 bucks for the next 12 hours

Uh. Put the baby down? Then play whatever you want.

age of empires, but you might have to rig something for the F3 pause

It's been a while since I've played it, but maybe Simcity 4? I think the only times you're absolutely required to have a keyboard is when you're naming your city and mayor's name.

/cheeky comment

Einhander

/end cheeky comment

Thank you for posting this, I been meaning to pick that up sometime and it's 75% off until Feb 21 so I snagged it now.

I've been pretty impressed with it so far. Its the first game in a long time that makes me forget that the gaming industry has fallen into shit.

1102807_23168_raw.jpg

Boom, solved. The kid also gets to watch you play.

You could get one of those mice with the numpads on the side and basically have a mouse/keyboard in one hand. It wouldn't be as good as using a separate a keyboard and a mouse, but I think pretty much any game could be playable after you got used to it.

G600 MMO Gaming Mouse
Razer Naga

Legends of Grimrock
Total War Series
XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Last edited:
I have been playing Star Wars: The Old Republic while holding my sleeping daughter. I mapped the tab key to a mouse button so I can switch mobs easier. Works fairly well.

You can't put a baby in the front pack until they can hold their head up by themselves. Also my daughter will not fall asleep in the front pack unless I am standing up.

lay your daughter in her bed. dont get her use to always havign to sleep in your arms then she will never go to sleep in her bed.

Back