Any Crossfire improvements on the ho(ryzen)rizon?

Ruoh

Supreme [H]ardness
Will the Ryzen chipsets and Vega cards improve crossfire capability? Have there been rumors of this? I'm mulling over my options for upgrade paths, and whether I should even consider CF as an option.

How exactly would that work? Ryzen and it's new chipset shouldn't have any impact on CF, and there's no data on Vega and CF right now.

90% of the time, SLI/CF support comes down to drivers and developer support and not hardware anyway.

same state as its been for the last few months, nothings changed.
yes it supports it but dx11/ogl is up to drivers to add support so that will probably happen less and less. and with dx12/vulkan mgpu its up to the devs who don't want to have to do it so its bearly happening but will hopefully increase.
so either jump to a better single nv card now or wait to see what vega offers. again, its the same as its been for months.

So, basically, nothing new on the horizon, just the same ol' in CF respect. The last time I had dual video cards, there was a vga cable involved. ;)

So, basically, nothing new on the horizon, just the same ol' in CF respect. The last time I had dual video cards, there was a vga cable involved. ;)

I'd personally never PLAN on CF or SLI. CF and SLI are what you do when the single fastest card doesn't have enough horsepower, or you can't afford the single fastest card.

I'd personally never PLAN on CF or SLI. CF and SLI are what you do when the single fastest card doesn't have enough horsepower, or you can't afford the single fastest card.

I agree. BUT, if I decided on a whim that I wanted to grab a second 480 when I get my Ryzen cpu/mb, I'd like to be able to make an educated decision.

I'd like to be able to make an educated decision.
so wait for ryzen to come out then. when its out and you go to upgrade then look at the state of mgpu, what games you play and if they have mgpu support or not, educate yourself a bit.

Most graphic-intensive games have mGPU support. If not at release, then eventually via an update. My quad-fire 290x still run every game Ive thrown at it since release, at 1600p. I wouldn't worry about CF performance, because at the current time, AMD has it down, at least for the older products.

Most graphic-intensive games have mGPU support. If not at release, then eventually via an update. My quad-fire 290x still run every game Ive thrown at it since release, at 1600p. I wouldn't worry about CF performance, because at the current time, AMD has it down, at least for the older products.

That must be a beautiful machine to look at. I read through you sig and now I understand how you deal with the heat and power draw of 4 x 290's. That must be fast!

Reactions: JMCB
like this
Anything DICE or Codemasters typically has had great support over the past 4-5 years.

Bethesda has gone out of their way to break Crossfire intentionally on every Fallout or Skyrim released.

The Tomb Raider reboot was a Gaming Evolved title and thus well supported. ROTR was a TWIMTBP title, and there is 0 scaling in Crossfire.

Depends on the sponsorship dollars

If AMD wants to become competitive, they should take full advantage of Nvidia's hostility towards MGPU, and make it a stand-out feature.

Will the Ryzen chipsets and Vega cards improve crossfire capability? Have there been rumors of this? I'm mulling over my options for upgrade paths, and whether I should even consider CF as an option.
Unless it's a mega game changer, multi card support and performance has massively dropped off in the past few years.

The old saying is still true. Buy the single fastest single card you can afford. It's less headache and almost guarantees compatibility.

Last edited:
Anything DICE or Codemasters typically has had great support over the past 4-5 years.

Bethesda has gone out of their way to break Crossfire intentionally on every Fallout or Skyrim released.

The Tomb Raider reboot was a Gaming Evolved title and thus well supported. ROTR was a TWIMTBP title, and there is 0 scaling in Crossfire.

Depends on the sponsorship dollars

I just played Rise of the Tomb Raider last month and remember crossfire working very well on my 295x2. I doubt I could have run it at 4k without the second card working.

I agree. BUT, if I decided on a whim that I wanted to grab a second 480 when I get my Ryzen cpu/mb, I'd like to be able to make an educated decision.

Don't do CF or SLI. I'd wait for Vega.

Most annoying part of mGPU for me was I'd mod a few files, get something going, (like BF4 for example) then one day poof. Bugs or runs like shit. Instead of sneaking in a 20 minute game I am SOL for what, 30% faster? (Compensating for microstutter).

If AMD wants to become competitive, they should take full advantage of Nvidia's hostility towards MGPU, and make it a stand-out feature.

AMD's been ahead of them in that scaling department for a while now, but doesn't really matter once the push to dx12 and vulkan takes hold since it'll be out of AMD and nvidia's hands after that which is what they want. the amount of time and money spend fixing developers screw ups isn't worth it to support a niche market for either company.

If it is a game engine feature it would be easier to implement on different titles if they use the same engine ...

Back