Any chance Trinity will drop around the same time as Ivy?

PaperclipGod

Limp Gawd
I'm due for an upgrade and really want to give Trinity a shot, but if it's too long after Ivy hits, I probably won't be able to resist the temptation... :(

No chance. It took them how many years to get Bulldozer out the door in the first place? Bulldozer just came out about 4 months ago...

IB is set to come out anywhere from April to June. Sooner for desktop and later for mobile parts if the rumors are to believed. Intel has confirmed the mobile CPU delay, but nothing on the desktop cpu's yet.

trinity is listed as q2 in some recent roadmaps........

The crystal ball says: maybe... or maybe not. :p

Trinity processors making their way into the hands of the usual suspects will be a sign of what revisions are being dropped to motherboard and system OEMs. The AMD roadmaps published last month on AT only show 2012 for a release date (no quarter is estimated, and it's not on a time line). "Q2" is wild/wishful speculation or click-bait quality rumors (suckas!). Nothing really suggests that Trinity will be released very soon, likely not in spring when IB is scheduled for release.

Why would you wait for Trinity to compare to IB?

If you're thinking of using it for a low to mid range gaming rig or a HTPC with added gaming ability, as if it was a better Llano, then you're correct. If you're looking forward to a Trinity laptop for some affordable portable gaming, well I'm interested to see the next mobile APU as well to be honest.

If you're looking for an AMD competitor to the 3770k or 3570k... no.

AMD is done with the desktop enthusiast x86 market.

A Trinity upgrade may be easier for the OP to try before IB is released and makes another (tempting) upgrade option available. I'm not sure the OP is implying that he considers the two comparable, although for some uses the differences are largely insignificant (GPU limited gaming, non-stressful applications, etc).

I'm also interested in Trinity, I want to create an SFF HTPC (preferably mini-ITX) with a bit more CPU power than Brazos, that can game a bit without the need for a discrete GPU, but something newer than Llano

and since AMD's new CEO focus is on execution time, well hopefully, if not, I'll just get a Mac Mini, ignoring the gaming part.

A Trinity upgrade may be easier for the OP to try before IB is released and makes another (tempting) upgrade option available. I'm not sure the OP is implying that he considers the two comparable, although for some uses the differences are largely insignificant (GPU limited gaming, non-stressful applications, etc).

This.

I don't need a super-powerful system, and want to try one of AMD's APU's... but if it's going to be another 3+ months after IB, then i'll probably just end up going with a traditional Intel build.

No chance. It took them how many years to get Bulldozer out the door in the first place?

But that's because Bulldozer was a totally new architecture. Isn't Trinity just a tweaked Bulldozer (Piledriver) with an integrated GPU?

But that's because Bulldozer was a totally new architecture. Isn't Trinity just a tweaked Bulldozer (Piledriver) with an integrated GPU?
Exactly. Do you think they are going to release the new socket FM2 after they just released FM1 a short time ago and haven't yet EOL'd the socket or chips yet? They would be creating confusion in the marketplace when they need to sell as much as possible. AMD isn't Intel, they need to sell as much as possible. They need clear and concise product lines, not overlapping ones that go all over the place.

Piledriver is a tweaked Bulldozer, but it doesn't mean they can get it out quick. It does take time to re-engineer the tweaks, send the design out for validation, then actually manufacture the chips in large quantities. Bulldozer was a thermal disaster, AMD has to get the thermals down significantly, tweak the design for performance issues, AND add a hot graphics core on top of that. It will be a fucking miracle if the first versions of it are less than 95w TDP and come anywhere close to the same frequencies as Bulldozer.

AMD has also reported numerous problems in the past trying to manufacture the graphics portion on the current line of high end Fusion chips. I really doubt they have worked out all the kinks in adding the newer HD7000 series graphics to a new piledriver core.

Take all these things into consideration along with AMD's piss poor ability to execute anything within a decent timeframe (there have been very few exceptions recently), and I highly doubt AMD will put out Piledriver before Q4 this year. I could be wrong, but everything I have seen says it won't happen soon and is a Fanboy's pipe dream.

Everything I have stated is my opinion. Even after seeing pics of Trinity, I still have my doubts that they will be able to produce a competitive desktop version in mass quantities anytime soon.

Last edited:
I'm due for an upgrade and really want to give Trinity a shot, but if it's too long after Ivy hits, I probably won't be able to resist the temptation... :(

trinity is the low end market product, it more then likely won't hit the market until Q4 of this year, partly because of delays but also because Microsoft and now Sony get first dibs on the chips, then OEM's and then finally the consumers in very late Q4 and possibly early Q1 2013.

... (cut because my phone couldn't handle the whole post)

Trinity's graphics are derived from Northern Islands (VLIW4), and the whole FM2 thing came from a leaked AMD roadmap.

As far as AMD has indicated, Trinity will go from 17 all the way to 100 watts, though the clock speeds won't be as high as Zambezi, but will be much higher than Llano.

Take all these things into consideration along with AMD's piss poor ability to execute anything within a decent timeframe (there have been very few exceptions recently), and I highly doubt AMD will put out Piledriver before Q4 this year. I could be wrong, but everything I have seen says it won't happen soon and is a Fanboy's pipe dream.

I understand your sentiments. I'm not so much concerned that they wont be able to produce it (you're really speculating on the GPU thing), I'm more worried that it's going to be another 'sidegrade' like Stars to Bulldozer was. The demos of Trinity in action look good, but if a Pentium or i3 is faster and uses less power... it just seems like they've fallen behind in too many categories to be competitive.

Rory Read seemed really focused on getting something good out the door quickly when he talked last month. I hope he knows what he's doing, AMD has been mismanaged to death.

I understand your sentiments. I'm not so much concerned that they wont be able to produce it (you're really speculating on the GPU thing), I'm more worried that it's going to be another 'sidegrade' like Stars to Bulldozer was. The demos of Trinity in action look good, but if a Pentium or i3 is faster and uses less power... it just seems like they've fallen behind in too many categories to be competitive.

Rory Read seemed really focused on getting something good out the door quickly when he talked last month. I hope he knows what he's doing, AMD has been mismanaged to death.

speed isn't the real key with trinity or even llano. it was more about having the processing power + gpu power of say a more high end laptop in a smaller form factor. i highly doubt even intel's new HD4000 igp will come close to competing with Llano let alone trinity. so it still has its place in the market. i don't expect it to be faster then i3 but it doesn't need to be either. as far as it being compared to llano, it will be faster then llano and it should be far more power efficient due to the better power gating that llano didn't have. the one thing i do hope is that they finally figure out and fix is the whole hybrid crossfire system.

personally i like them especially for m-ITX setups. you no longer have to deal with low profile gpu's or crappy igp's that you had to deal with before. if i needed something with actual processing power i'd get a normal desktop with an i5/7 which i don't need in a laptop or an m-ITX system.

HD4000 has been shown in Anandtech's preview of the 3770k to still be substantially slower than Llano.

HD4000 has been shown in Anandtech's preview of the 3770k to still be substantially slower than Llano.

see i knew some one would post about it.. i really haven't been following intel stuff in the last few years.

Trinity will help fill the gap a little in the cpu power side of things, while continue to lead against Intel's integrated graphics.

Availability? well Amd is pretty busy as of late. They are getting their new Gpus out, they are working on piledriver, working on a possible new socket / chipset. They are working with program developers to release programs which harness their computing benefits.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we saw Trinity launch in June/July. Llano along with their gpu's is really their meal ticket as of late. Seeing as they are publishing benchmarks comparing their next gen to their current gen, it think its rather safe to say they will be available soon.

http://blogs.amd.com/fusion/2012/03/...9D-generation/

Back