Any chance of recovering this md raid 5 array?

Damn, newegg.ca does not have that card for some reason. That is exactly what I want. I wonder if I was to order it from there if I'd get nailed with border tax. Half the time it comes from the states anyway when I order from newegg.ca.

I did find this:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816115059

It's a raid card, but for that price it's pretty good, and it can support 12 sata connections.

Well if you're gonna buy a new board, you might consider a Supermicro unit; they're pretty solid and don't go wrong very often. You might have to roll back to X58 to get one with an LSI SAS controller, something like this. Try get one with a SAS controller on it, then all you have to do is get an HP or Chenbro SAS expander. :D

The good thing about that HighPoint card you linked is that it supports JBOD, so your data won't be tied to HighPoint. :)

I also found this card:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816118142

It's non raid, so I figure there is less things that can possibly go wrong.

Though I priced out what it would cost to rebuild this and it comes up to near 1k, so yea, I'm almost considering just getting a supermicro barebones... though that will still end up being more expensive.

I can maybe try to find a used board that matches the current socket, then I don't have to replace everything else, but that's a gamble. Before I buy anything else I want to try to rule out where the issue is, if it's isolated to specific ports I may just skip those till I can afford to rebuild. What a pain.

I plan to buy that card (9201-16i) for a new linux file server to replace a 2003 era dual processor opteron server.

I have thought about that one. There were several threads about that a year or so back. I have mostly ignored that because its PCIe-4 instead of PCIe-8 but when I think of it 2GB/s will not limit 8 hard drives..

Yeah I can't see myself being limited by 2gbps. I currently get around 200MB/s on my raid and that's peak, using a benchmark tool.

I've also heard you can put a card in a smaller slot, and the rest just "hangs" at the edge, is this true? I'm even willing to use the 1x slot I got. That will give me what, 1gbps? That would save me from getting a whole new motherboard.

Last edited:
Back