Any BX100 owners here?

FnordMan

[H]ard|Gawd
Seriously thinking about buying a 1TB BX100 model to replace my 840 EVO, wondering if anyone here has one and wondering how it's holding up over time.

This drive has not been around long enough to make such assessment.

I personally considered them as "storage" SSD for my server, but 850 EVO has much better burst and random read performance for almost the same price.

Is there a reason to replace the 840 EVO? If you do it because of the read speed degradation bug, there should be a fix soon.
While I would not consider them for new builds, there is no urgent reason to replace them considering you already spent the money.

I wouldn't worry about it. The longer you leave it something newer comes along.

I doubt you need to change. Maybe buy some new clothes instead?

This drive has not been around long enough to make such assessment.

I personally considered them as "storage" SSD for my server, but 850 EVO has much better burst and random read performance for almost the same price.

Is there a reason to replace the 840 EVO? If you do it because of the read speed degradation bug, there should be a fix soon.
While I would not consider them for new builds, there is no urgent reason to replace them considering you already spent the money.

Have a look at the 840 EVO fix thread, that "fix" isn't a fix, it's just a band-aid admittance of failure. Hence my want to replace it sometime soon-ish, getting tired of Samsung's crap with that thing.

Have a look at the 840 EVO fix thread, that "fix" isn't a fix, it's just a band-aid admittance of failure. Hence my want to replace it sometime soon-ish, getting tired of Samsung's crap with that thing.

I can't really blame you for feeling that way. It's been an issue since the 840 Evo was released and, at this point in time, I doubt there will be bona fide solution. If I had an 840 Evo, I'd likely be looking to replace it, as well. Hell, my Samsung 830 128GB was a tank and I'd still be running it if I didn't outgrow it. If I had gotten an 840 Evo to replace it, I'd be all sorts of pissed off about the sow-down problem.

I can't really blame you for feeling that way. It's been an issue since the 840 Evo was released and, at this point in time, I doubt there will be bona fide solution. If I had an 840 Evo, I'd likely be looking to replace it, as well. Hell, my Samsung 830 128GB was a tank and I'd still be running it if I didn't outgrow it. If I had gotten an 840 Evo to replace it, I'd be all sorts of pissed off about the sow-down problem.

Yeah.. mine's also starting to get a little "small" (750 Gig... too many steam games installed)

Not sure where I mentioned it but it's also showing odd SMART stats, like for example gaining ~3k power on hours that are rather impossible. (haven't even owned the drive that long, as I recall it shows ~17k and i've had it for ~13k hours or so)

I've got a BX100 1TB sitting on my amazon wishlist at the moment, just waiting for the right time and funds to buy one. My "upgrade" to 8.1 on the desktop just to get a little consistency between the desktop and tablet. It'll be a perfect opportunity, what with having to clone the drive and all.

I just installed a BX100 500GB in a Dell N5050 laptop (3 years old) a few weeks ago. It's a nice drive with a good price. No complaints from the owner.
I wouldn't hesitate to install any Crucial SSD in one of my PCs. The BX100 series is a little cheaper than the MX100 and 200 without sacrificing too much. They have a good mix of pricing, performance, and reliability from Crucial.

For day to day stuff you wouldn't notice any difference between the BX100 and MX100/200. The biggest thing you are losing is the SED features. I've installed many BX100's and MX100/200's in client computers depending on whether or not they needed the SED/Bitlocker feature and they have all been rock solid.

I can't say the same for the 840 EVO's we installed. After throwing in about 10 of them and having the slowdown issues with half of them that never really seem to be fixed, we stopped using the EVO's. I realize the Pro's are much better but the point, at least in my case, was reliability at the best price, and the EVO just disappointed on that regard.

Whelp, I officially ordered a 1TB BX100 last night, still not sure what i'm going to do with the 840 EVO. May keep it in the system and totally get rid of the spinners I have left.

Back