Any Benefits in upgrading? 5820K to 7700/k

AP2

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm been thinking of upgrading my 5820K to a 7700 or 7700K. is there any real benefit or performance that I will gain? This is for any Gaming PC.

Any insight would be great!

Depends on the clocks on the 5820k. I probably wouldn't make the move if you're over 4Ghz personally. I wouldn't swap for a 7700 non k as the stock clocks are a few hundred mhz higher on the K version.

Last edited:
For gaming, if you are running stock, I'd say depending on your graphics setup and the games you play you could expect 10-15% more performance. It may or may not be enough to really notice without measuring it.

However, your bank account will notice the difference right away.

With AMD's Ryzen arriving in a week, I'd hold off on upgrading right now... If early performance/cost rumors hold true concerning Ryzen, it will most likely cause Intel to re-evaluate and adjust their current pricing structure and/or perhaps accelerate the release of their next gen CPU's. Competition is good!

Last edited:
Doesnt look like you are having performance problems otherwise you would have said.
It cant improve performance if you are getting the performance you want.

If it aint broke dont fix it.

I took a pass on the 7xxxk chips as I paid $300 new for my 5820k. At 4.4Ghz it coasts through what I can toss at it single screen gaming, the X99 chipset will be around for a bit too. Should AMD's new chip be all it's hyped to be, and even if not... prices will be dropping on an Intel upgrade path for our x99 mobo's. So unless a newer chipset has somehitn' the x99 lacks, I'd say stand pat.

My2c.

I took a pass on the 7xxxk chips as I paid $300 new for my 5820k. At 4.4Ghz it coasts through what I can toss at it single screen gaming, the X99 chipset will be around for a bit too. Should AMD's new chip be all it's hyped to be, and even if not... prices will be dropping on an Intel upgrade path for our x99 mobo's. So unless a newer chipset has somehitn' the x99 lacks, I'd say stand pat.

My2c.

Hey Scoot - When gaming, what are your temps? I was thinking of chaining my setup to 7700K due to the lower TDP.

Hey Scoot - When gaming, what are your temps? I was thinking of chaining my setup to 7700K due to the lower TDP.

Temps are quite reasonable as I do not overvolt the 980ti at all and only push the cpu with 1.25v. Gaming this time of year temps stay about 45c~48c, bit warmer in the summer I'll hit the mid 50's.

I was thinking of upgrading to Ryzen, but now may wait a year on it to revision 2's depending on where the teething problems are. I have a X5690 at 4.5, with a high price add in controller for my SSD's, and a golden sample Gigabyte Gtx 980 that runs stable 24/7 at 1705. I want a cool, shiny new mobo and cpu with bells, whistles, etc, but from the bench marks I've seen on my price range for a new cpu, possible new water cooler mount, and mobo, I'd gain 5-10%, but only if I upped from my 1080p 144 monitor to something 2k/1440p.

I'm considering doing this same thing, 5820k to 7700k, because I only game and watch videos on my PC using one of the new 1080p 240hz monitors. I just want my FPS as high as possible in multiplayer games, the 7700k is the chip for that I presume. I have run X79 and X99 in the past few years because I was doing Tri-SLI for triple monitors, then Dual-SLI for high resolution. I am not doing SLI anymore at all, so I'm not too concerned with PCI lanes.

I have a very specific purpose, to hold over 240fps@1080p with lower settings. The 5820k almost does it. Would the 7700k be the best shot?

5820k parts can be sold for about the same price as 7700k setup or make an overpowered HTPC.

Last edited:
So I've decided to change my setup. Already purchased a new mobo, but having a hard time deciding what cpu to go with. Which CPU would you guys go with? 7700 or 7700k? I don't ever plan to overclock.

So I've decided to change my setup. Already purchased a new mobo, but having a hard time deciding what cpu to go with. Which CPU would you guys go with? 7700 or 7700k? I don't ever plan to overclock.
I'd still go with the 7700k just in case. It's nice to have options. Usually the price difference is small, and the resale value will be much higher on the 7700k

I ended purchasing a 7700k. What generally considered high temps for this chip? On full load, package temp is 92. Is this safe or should I be thinking of getting a cooler? Currently using a noctua low profile heatsink with prolimatech 120 fan.

Actually, with a 7700k at 5G you are on par with MP-power of that 5820k. I have both and the 7700k is the better choice, unless you oc the 5820k as well, which I dont as it runs a 2008R2 SRV.

Add fast RAM to it and you can have the same RAM bandwidth as well circa 50-65GB/sec depending on your RAM 3600+

So, if you upgrade you wont loose much MP power but gain some singlw core power. Still, it comes at a high price as you need mobo and cpu, maybe RAM as well.

If your 5820k runs 4.4 or higher I would not do it, not worth the difference imho.

Last edited:
I ended purchasing a 7700k. What generally considered high temps for this chip? On full load, package temp is 92. Is this safe or should I be thinking of getting a cooler? Currently using a noctua low profile heatsink with prolimatech 120 fan.
92c seems really high for running at stock, even with a low profile cooler.
Exactly what Noctua heatsink?
What motherboard?
What voltages and clock speeds are you seeing when testing under full load? (and what stress test program are you using?)

Back